Mike Leach fired

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3204832 said:
I think the kid deserved to be raked, I think James is way to involved and will eventually get that program in trouble, I think Leach is a great offensive football coach with an ego the size of Texas, I think the administration was shortsided and will eventually pay for this and I think all of this could have been avoided if there weren't so many egos involved. Ultimately, the fan will pay most. Tech will not get a coach who can compete with Texas and OU year to year. Tech will fall back in the Big12 South and probably be replaced by A&M. I think that all of this is regreatable. The whole damn lot of them should be fired. James should get his arse kicked off the team and his Dad should be doing Pop Warner analysis.

That's what I think.

:)

I think Leach is a good offensive coordinator. I don't think he is a good head coach. He and Mike Martz seem like the same person. They gamble too much and need a strong head coach to reign them in from time to time. You don't need to go for it on every 4th down.

Tubberville would be a good choice and he is familiar with recruiting in Texas having been a defensive coordinator for Texas A&M back in 1994.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss;3205314 said:
I think Leach is a good offensive coordinator. I don't think he is a good head coach. He and Mike Martz seem like the same person. They gamble too much and need a strong head coach to reign them in from time to time. You don't need to go for it on every 4th down.

Tubberville would be a good choice and he is familiar with recruiting in Texas having been a defensive coordinator for Texas A&M back in 1994.

Well, I look at it a bit differently I guess. The way I look at it, any coach who can get their players to play all out for them on a regular basis is a pretty dang good coach. Leach could do that.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Will Muschamp say's "howdy" Tommy. ;)

Seriously though, good fit for TT. Tuberville should fit the Big XII nicely.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3205332 said:
Will Muschamp say's "howdy" Tommy. ;)

Seriously though, good fit for TT. Tuberville should fit the Big XII nicely.

I think so too. I do not think he will be as succesful as Leach was because he can't coach offense like Leach does and it's still going to be hard to recruite but I do think Tech could have done much worse.

Good for the Tech Fans.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3205339 said:
I think so too. I do not think he will be as succesful as Leach was because he can't coach offense like Leach does and it's still going to be hard to recruite but I do think Tech could have done much worse.

Good for the Tech Fans.

Honestly, I really thought they'd of made a big push for June Jones.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3205325 said:
Well, I look at it a bit differently I guess. The way I look at it, any coach who can get their players to play all out for them on a regular basis is a pretty dang good coach. Leach could do that.

I would agree with you if that is what he did, but he didn't. He got them up for playing against #1 ranked Texas last year at home on national television. There are a lot of coaches that could get their teams up for that kind of situation.

Leach's Tech teams lost a lot of games where they were heavily favored or should have won. They lost to A&M this year. Not only lost, but were trounced. They lost to a bad Colorado team a couple of years ago and the year before that as well. He could not get his teams to play all out on a regular basis when they went on the road against the top teams. I don't expect them to go to Norman and beat the Sooners, but they looked as if they had never played football before in that game. That happened a lot when they went on the road.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in saying he wasn't a good coach. He is not a great coach. Perhaps he is a great coach for a second tier program like Texas Tech. They are never going to be a perennial power. They can compete for a title every once in a while when they have a senior laden team and the schedule falls just right. He will get a job again and he can do some good things. I just can't see him ever coaching one of the big name programs and thought that before this whole Adam James situation. I think you could get the most out of Leach as an assistant paired with a great head coach.

And I do like the guy. It would be nice if my Alma Mater(Texas A&M) hired him as head coach.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
DFWJC;3205208 said:
I agree about Tuberville.

Hat's off to Briles.

Just curious....does anyone here know of a coach breaking his contract to go coach at another school in his same conference? It just seems REALLY low to do that, but I'm sure someone has done it before.

Chime in with examples folks.

David McWilliams did it in the 1980s.

He was an assistant at Texas. Tech brought him to Lubbock to be head coach, taking over for the fired Jerry Moore.

McWilliams was there only one year, took Tech to its first bowl game in years, and Texas hired him back as its head coach. The guy ended up sucking at Texas.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3205261 said:
I'm listening to Tuberville on 103.3 right now, and it sounds like a done deal to me. He says they wanted to wait 10 days to hire someone, but he thinks they could do something tomorrow. And he's kind of talking as if he already has the job.

FWIW, he said he wants to keep what Leach has on offense, and add on defense (not surprisingly). Says he would run the ball downhill a little more, but you do have to throw it a lot.

He also said this was the only job opening of the 7 or 8 this year he was really interested in. Says Tech has the type people he likes being around, and he wants to see what he can do in the Big 12.

I don't know that much about him, but I've always thought he did a great job at Auburn. And he sounds like a really good, likable guy who would play well in west Texas.

I'm sure the podcast will be up soon if you guys want to hear the whole thing.

Good stuff, CL.

You know more than I do.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
So its gonna be Tubberville. Ha, i knew it.

Tubberville is, by all accounts, the anti-Mike Leach. The Texas Tech program won't miss a beat.