Mike Leach on QB accuracy

superonyx

Reaction score
You obviously didn’t read all my post. Your just sticking up for Dak.

We don’t need to offer a solution to see there’s a problem . I can hear or see my car needs repair without knowing how to fix it.
So do you sit around with your friends and complain about a noise your car is making over and over again?
You have said your piece. You dont think Dak is any good. Why keep going on about it and not even propose a solution?

Its simple. Because you dont have one. You solution seems to be just crying on a forum about it.

If you keep crying over a noise your car is making to me I am going to tell you to sack up and fix it or stop telling me about it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

This isn't about poise. Dak has poise. So it isn't an experience fix that comes with getting "comfortable". Dak is comfortable.

And that's a problem because this just comes down to lack of ability.

Darius Jackson can practice all he wants, but he'll never be Zeke. Dak can work himself to the bone, but he'll never be an elite passer.

That is a load of crap. Dak is hitting 66% for his career. He has had some issues at time for being late on a pass and has missed some long balls down field with Gallup yet seems to do well throwing deeper balls to Cooper, Gallup and Dak need to put in more time but Gallup also needs to do a better job of creating a cushion down the sideline by running the defender off to allow space back to the sideline. The being late with passes can be corrected by being more confident in what he is seeing and not holding on to the ball, as Kitna points out, you make the read you see it and you rip it, if you delay often times the pass will be thrown behind and off target Gallup and Dak need to put in more time but Gallup also needs to do a better job of creating a cushion down by running the defender off to allow space back to the sideline.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So do you sit around with your friends and complain about a noise your car is making over and over again?
You have said your piece. You dont think Dak is any good. Why keep going on about it and not even propose a solution?

Its simple. Because you dont have one. You solution seems to be just crying on a forum about it.

If you keep crying over a noise your car is making to me I am going to tell you to sack up and fix it or stop telling me about it.
I actually think Dak presents some excellent assets.
He’s just not one of the elite prolific passing QB’s.

And I believe at least with our dysfunctional organization it’s going to make it tougher to overcome or surpass these other elite teams with their prolific passing QB’s.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s why paying Dak elite money will kill this team. Dak needs elite players around him to make this offense go. If he has an average RB, average WRs or an average OL, this offense is doomed.

I’d let Dak play out his contract and if he takes some positive steps forward, by all means sign the guy. He’s just not worth 25 million per year right now.

I partly understand this argument, but realistically, how many "elite" players did Dak have around him in 2016? Zeke was, for sure, but neither Dez or Witten were.

And also, look at a player like Roethlesbeger. Most would consider him a "franchise QB", but he has spent his career surrounded by players like Jerome Bettis and Duces Staley and Le'Veon Bell and Hines Ward and Antonio Brown and a number of high quality #2 receivers.

I'm not saying Dak is Ben's equal, but my point is most QBs can't win without high quality talent around them.

HungryLion

Reaction score
His point is, shortstops are chosen partly for their consistent accuracy. They are accurate by nature.

Same goes for accurate quarterbacks.

Shortstops are not accurate by nature. They happen to play shortstop because they are accurate. Plus a list of other skills it requires to play that position.

Somebody isn’t born a shortstop.

Somebody isn’t born accurate either.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt but with less than a prolific passing QB like most of the other final 8 teams does it present a greater challenge for us to overcome?

How much greater of team do we need to surround a less than prolific QB with to overcome?
Jerry will figure it out.........

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Yea!!!!
Another thread where we pretend a guy who completed 67% of his passes with 67 TD's and only 25 Int and a career QB rating of 96 can't throw the football well enough to play at this level.
Accuracy is more than "balls caught". Aside from distance, when you put the ball constantly where a receiver has to stop, reach behind, etc. It is a bad throw. It's the difference between a 10 yard gain and a 3yd gain. Obviously hes shown to be productive, but is it enough

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Shortstops are not accurate by nature. They happen to play shortstop because they are accurate. Plus a list of other skills it requires to play that position.

Somebody isn’t born a shortstop.

Somebody isn’t born accurate either.
BOOM!

Game...
Set...
and Match!

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Did I see someone compare Dak to Hutchinson, Henson, and Quincy? The I.Q. of this fanbase is always joked about nationally. Oftentimes, those jokes aren't false.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry will figure it out.........
I’m not hopeful with that solution. He wasn’t able to surround Romo with enough.

I argued for years that having a Rodgers type talent would have enhanced our chances over Romo.

Surely everyone would agree a more prolific passer would enhance our chances now?

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Right

If Dak wasn’t wearing a Star on his helmet they’d be more critical too.

Remember most of us see the qualities and assets Dak skill set presents but are simply critical that he isn’t a prolific passer.

That doesn’t mean we can’t win A championship with him as we’ve obviously had some success . But it’s just going to be tougher.
This. In order to get into a championship game with Dak, you have to keep upgrading the defense and certainly all the offensive players around him. Not only that, but integrate some significant coaching upgrades as well. Cheerleaders won't cut it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
His point is, shortstops are chosen partly for their consistent accuracy. They are accurate by nature.

Same goes for accurate quarterbacks.
I wouldn't say they're accurate by nature. I've yet to see a 5-year-old throw with consistent accuracy. Shrug.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Sorry Stash! We are just going to have to disagree for once buddy! You are taking this 4 year window and acting like it's the end all be all. As the article stated that I quoted, until the 6th game this year his stats were declining for a season and 5 games. That's real. Part of the issue was accuracy going downfield. The other article I posted about the Texans game shows it in stark detail. My point about not being cut and dry is that Dak can still be a great QB, have many great attributes and be a leader but not be accurate in a portion of his throws. As I said you can be 22-25 0-15 yards and 0-7 past 20 yards and 22-32 gets you 68.75 %. That looks great overall but doesn't mean he's OVERALL accurate. You have to look at these things in context and you fail to do that and just want to be right like we have a perfect QB. Pointing out a fault on a small area of his throws isn't the end all be all. I like Dak's entangibles and try not to worry too much on other stuff though I find it interesting,.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Thank god he’s a 66% completion guy and this post is meaningless.

Well, I am not certain of Dak's completion % but I will say this, I believe that the current average of Pass Completion Percentage is right around 65 percent. So if it really is 66, then that's really not supporting the idea that he is all that accurate. That only suggests that he is in the area of average. Hopefully, his completion percentage is better then that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The entire knowledgeable football world of former players, coaches, and analysts constantly discusses Dak's accuracy issues, but of course, it's made up.
:clap:
I mean, it's not like we're pulling this observation out of the air. Almost EVERY commentator who has coached or played the game has said this. Even the great Roger Staubach said it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did I see someone compare Dak to Hutchinson, Henson, and Quincy? The I.Q. of this fanbase is always joked about nationally. Oftentimes, those jokes aren't false.

Having fans that are unrealistic and unfair is not unique to the Cowboys. I doubt seriously that most people around the country really give any thought to the IQ of the Cowboys fanbase.