Mike Leach on QB accuracy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The vast majority of former players and analysts side with me on this. Troy, Emmitt, Nate Newton, even the likes of Jesse Holley, go on and on about Dak's woefully limited arm talent.

Check downs on 3rd-and-9 don't impress us like it does you.

And their words, like yours are totally unsupported. I'll go with facts, you go with talk. Completely, utterly, unsupported talk.

Tell me the Earth is flat, it will carry just as much weight - none, zero, zip, nada.

Type until your fingers fall off, it's all worthless.

erod

Reaction score
I'm taking the middle ground on this.
Accuracy can be improved. I was a HS pitching coach and through improved mechanics, a wild arm learns control. It's a matter of footwork and follow thru.
On the other hand completion pct doesn't necessarily translate to accuracy. A pass that a receiver has to jump or turn to catch might be caught, but because it wasn't thrown to a good location, yards after reception are lost. Dak isn't the scatter arm some think he is, but he's not as accurate as he can be. Most of his accuracy problems occur when he feels pressure. Fix his head to use proper mechanics, and he can be more accurate.
Therein lies the problem.

I agree Dak is good when everything is perfect. Running game's working, pass protection is good, defense is holding the opponent down.

But a QB vs QB shootout type of game? Nope, not happening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you realize that since we traded for Cooper Dak had the following stats:
Rating 102.5
Average YPG 275
TD 14 Int 4

Are we pretending we didnt have the absolute worst set of WR/TE's before Cooper came to town?

Which of the other QB's you mentioned had Deonte Thomas, Hurns, and a 3rd round Rookie to throw to combined with Swaim and Jarwin?

Yes, some are pretending. From the looks of it, two, closely huddled together.

erod

Reaction score
And their words, like yours are totally unsupported. I'll go with facts, you go with talk. Completely, utterly, unsupported talk.

Tell me the Earth is flat, it will carry just as much weight - none, zero, zip, nada.

Type until your fingers fall off, it's all worthless.
You've pretty much painted yourself here. So I'll just let that stand for all to see.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I make this of it. Two words. Drew Brees.

Drew Brees, who went from a sub 60% completion quarterback in San Diego to completing nearly 75% of his passes this year. And whose completion percentages have increased again and again and again throughout his career.

The facts and statistics actually show me what's true, rather than people talking.

So I’m confused by your argument. Are you arguing he can improve...which I’m open to...or that him being inaccurate is a fallacy..which I disagree with when we see him throw downfield and when guys like Troy are noticing it. Early season this was what was happening...those are stats that he regressed at that point! That isn’t made up and Troy played the position and studies this. No one on this board should claim they know more.

“But they're not the only ones struggling. Quarterback Dak Prescott's slide in performance has continued, as Dak has completed just 61.6 percent of his passes at only 6.7 yards per attempt, with five touchdowns and four interceptions in five games. His completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdown rate, interception rate, passer rating, and QBR have all gotten worse for the second consecutive season. “

superonyx

Reaction score
We don’t need a solution to critic our issues.
Nor do you have one.
So come here and say we will never win (in spite of us winning the division 2 out of 3 years) with Dak.
Cry and belly ache over it and not even offer a solution.
So whats your point? If you are not proposing a change then why cry? If you are proposing a change then offer a suggestion at least.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

This isn't about poise. Dak has poise. So it isn't an experience fix that comes with getting "comfortable". Dak is comfortable.

And that's a problem because this just comes down to lack of ability.

Darius Jackson can practice all he wants, but he'll never be Zeke. Dak can work himself to the bone, but he'll never be an elite passer.

No offense intended -- especially since my comments are neither pro or con with regard to Dak -- but, Leach seems to contradict himself with regard to improving a QB's accuracy. Early in the video clip, he speaks to the characteristics he looks for in a QB recruit and specifically mentions the "mechanics" of throwing including footwork, ball grip and ball release. All of these can be and are improved through practice and repetition. Later, he mentions that if a QB is inaccurate in HS, he probably will be in college and pro. I get where he is coming from with his comments that a big, strong, athletic QB prospect with a canon for an arm does not guarantee success. I also understand that Leach is a professional and has a reputation on developing QBs.

While Dak may never be an elite passer, I do believe his mechanics and, dare I say, his accuracy can be improved.

erod

Reaction score
Dallas is a run first offense and we bad Linehan.

So ya.......you are.

It's run-first because that's really the only type of game Dallas can play. This team has virtually no shot in a shootout type of game unless the other team is missing its entire secondary like Green Bay.

Back-to-back meeting for several hours about to start, so I'll let ya'll hammer this out.

Peace/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I’m confused by your argument. Are you arguing he can improve...which I’m open to...or that him being inaccurate is a fallacy..which I disagree with when we see him throw downfield and when guys like Troy are noticing it. Early season this was what was happening

Where is the statistical evidence to support this supposed "inaccuracy"? If it were "accurate", there would be statistical evidence. And there isn't. There are missed throws here and there that some want to show in a video capture. But if it actually was an issue, the stats would bear it out. And they don't. His numbers are actually far better than his contemporaries and far better than many of the greats. That's the truth of it.

“But they're not the only ones struggling. Quarterback Dak Prescott's slide in performance has continued, as Dak has completed just 61.6 percent of his passes at only 6.7 yards per attempt, with five touchdowns and four interceptions in five games. His completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdown rate, interception rate, passer rating, and QBR have all gotten worse for the second consecutive season. “

What matters more, the "five games" you've selected here, or the 48 + games in a career? Again, his career numbers don't show inaccuracy at all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nor do you have one.
So come here and say we will never win (in spite of us winning the division 2 out of 3 years) with Dak.
Cry and belly ache over it and not even offer a solution.
So whats your point? If you are not proposing a change then why cry? If you are proposing a change then offer a suggestion at least.
You obviously didn’t read all my post. Your just sticking up for Dak.

We don’t need to offer a solution to see there’s a problem . I can hear or see my car needs repair without knowing how to fix it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So now "prolific" is the next vague buzzword you'll run to?

It gets sadder and sadder and sadder...
:facepalm:
We offered many kind words of support for Dak. Erod even said Dak is not in the league of the other QB in final 8 teams. We aren’t saying Dak suks. Just that he isn’t a prolific passer and probably won’t develop into one. Again, are you arguing he is?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Therein lies the problem.

I agree Dak is good when everything is perfect. Running game's working, pass protection is good, defense is holding the opponent down.

But a QB vs QB shootout type of game? Nope, not happening.
Not to prolong the debate, but I daresay that most QBs are good when everything is perfect. And, with regard to a mano y mano shootout, I don't think Dak will ever be in the rarefied air of a Patrick Mahomes, but if the January 15, 2017 playoff game with Green Bay is any indication, then, yes, he can sling it in a shootout.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We offered many kind words of support for Dak. Erod even said Dak is not in the league of the other QB in final 8 teams. We aren’t saying Dak suks. Just that he isn’t a prolific passer. Again, are you arguing he is?

That's not the crux of this thread.

I'm arguing that point. That he's not accurate and that accuracy can't be taught or improved. That's 100% false on both counts.

I'm arguing exactly that.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The entire knowledgeable football world of former players, coaches, and analysts constantly discusses Dak's accuracy issues, but of course, it's made up.

Swing passes and dump downs don't count. Dak simply REFUSES to make most throws, and when he does let it go down the seam, it ain't pretty at all.

They discuss his accuracy issues, and how those issues hinder him and can be fixed.

They don't falsely claim he's inaccurate. Learn the difference. He's an accurate QB.