Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Jason Garrett won the NFL Coach of the Year award last season, but former NFL executive Mike Lombardi isn’t sold the Dallas Cowboys head coach is going to survive the 2017 season.

Lombardi, a staffer on the New England Patriots Super Bowl XLIX championship team, is now a media member and ripped Garrett’s coaching ability in his podcast. He started by talking about a point I think is legitimate in questioning why hasn’t he been better in his tenure as the leader of America’s Team. His overall record is a winning one at 58-46, but he's only produced two winning seasons.

“Jason Garrett been a head coach for six years. He’s 50 years old. He’s going to be 51 next year. He should be in the prime of his head coaching career," Lombardi said. “Instead, he’s made two playoffs. I mean he goes 12-4. Then he goes 13-3 last year and he loses at home to a bad Green Bay defense.”

Read Rest below

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...son-Garretts-Coaching-Ability--434200303.html

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
“If I’m a Cowboys fan, I have real questions about Jason Garrett as the head coach," Lombardi said. "He’s supposed to be in the prime, he’s had six years to be a head coach. He was an offensive guru that never had a lot of roo in his goo. He was never really never this innovator offensive guy."

:muttley::lmao2::lmao:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Garrett will never get a fair shot in this league being he has to do what no other coach in this league has to do which is coach under Jerry Jones. The great Bill Parcells couldn't do it and neither could Jimmy.

:flagwave::popcorn:

Obviously Mike Lombardi has not heard of #RKG #RKG and does not know that it takes several decades to "build a team"
it took Garret far less than "decades" to build this current team he had.......and he had to do it with a meddling owner who thinks he's head coach/gm.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“I’m excited to see is Jason Garrett going to be the .500 coach I think he is or if has he done something this summer to really improve himself," he said. "I say the latter. I say he’s going to be a .500 coach.”

Let me help you a bit Mike, you should learn the difference between former and latter :laugh:

EGTuna

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby were unreal in that game, and that's Garrett's fault? No other losing playoff team scored the 31 Dallas did vs. GB. Dallas lost because their defense - specifically their pass defense- let them down vs a future HOFer playing at an incredible level. Imagine if Jeff Heath's sack results in a fumble? Ugh.

Garrett has been the main reason the team started building their dominant OL, and he's the reason they've drafted well (with the exception of certain 2nd rounders) the last 6 years

Garrett is flawed, as he still gets too afraid to go for it on 4th down, and allows Linehan to rely too heavily on fades inside the 10 (but not as much last year with Dak), and his clock management still needs work (as do all coaches not name Belichick), but Lombardi is a total fraud.

Lombardi like Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennell, Scott Pioli and so many others have lived off the reputation of Belichick - and I stress lived OFF of, and not lived UP TO. There's a reason Belichick's never brought him back, and it's not because Lombardi is so terrific as a media personality. It's because BB doesn't need him.

jday

Reaction score
Jason Garrett won the NFL Coach of the Year award last season, but former NFL executive Mike Lombardi isn’t sold the Dallas Cowboys head coach is going to survive the 2017 season.

Lombardi, a staffer on the New England Patriots Super Bowl XLIX championship team, is now a media member and ripped Garrett’s coaching ability in his podcast. He started by talking about a point I think is legitimate in questioning why hasn’t he been better in his tenure as the leader of America’s Team. His overall record is a winning one at 58-46, but he's only produced two winning seasons.

“Jason Garrett been a head coach for six years. He’s 50 years old. He’s going to be 51 next year. He should be in the prime of his head coaching career," Lombardi said. “Instead, he’s made two playoffs. I mean he goes 12-4. Then he goes 13-3 last year and he loses at home to a bad Green Bay defense.”

Read Rest below

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...son-Garretts-Coaching-Ability--434200303.html
Walk_in_walk_out.gif

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Being an innovator in scheme doesn't mean much. Wade is about as good as it gets when it comes to X's and O's on defense and is a coach that over time will ruin your team because he doesn't create an environment that develops talent well. Ironically, Lombardi's namesake was about as boring of an X's and O's coach as there is. The same with Parcells.

I think what a lot of people miss out here is that a bad coach takes a long time to make up for and turn things around (in most cases) in football. It's such a team oriented game that unlike baseball or basketball or hockey, one guy isn't likely to turn everything around.

The good news is the way the NFL is set up, it's more likely to turn around from bad coaching compared to college (where bad coaching can forever disintegrate a program), high school or even Youth Football.

In Garrett's case, he had to turn over a team that had almost no quality talent that was solely developed by Wade (players that didn't come to the team pre-2007).

The only players developed from 2007-2009 that were quality performers that we drafted (or picked up as UDFA) by 2011 was Felix Jones, Doug Free, Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Spencer.

That's really it....

4 freaking guys in 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, Garrett played a part in us struggling for those years as well. But making Wade the HC of this team set the organization back for at least 3 years.

YR

John813

Reaction score
I'm going to say I was never a fan of him being the OC/being hired first/groomed to be HC.

However, the team has done a rebuild/retool in personal since he has been here.
Switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Rebuilding the offensive line, and now the secondary.
Defensive line has also gone under retooling, with only Crawford who is still here from the 3-4 days.

We have also gone under a philosophy change on how the team addresses building the team, IE no more spending money in FA and instead taking the longer term approach in acquiring talent via the draft and UDFAs.

While last year ended on a disappointing note, I think it exceeded everyones expectations from week 1,seeing a rookie QB/RB surprise everyone with how well they played. Of course credit goes to the players for executing, but you can't ignore giving credit to Garrett and Linehan in getting those boys prepared.

I don't know where Garrett ranks in terms of coaching, but I think recently he has improved each year.

Not sure where the part about being an innovator comes from. Seems like Garretts MO was to rebuild the 90's wall and run over people.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

Read Rest below

He's absolutely right. This team wasn't ready in the playoff game. They should've scored 40+ on the packers defense. It was probably bottom 3 in the entire NFL. We needed to have the mentality that Atlanta had.