Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990. I know Marvin Lewis went to a SB as a coordinator, but his lack of postseason success in Cincinnati makes Jason Garrett look like Vince Lombardi.
Not really. Garrett just has one playoff win. Lewis hasn't won any but he gets his team there a lot. Wouldn't want to put up with Lewis either but he has won consistently in a much tougher division. The NFC East has been mediocre quite a bit over the years and Garrett couldn't even win it then.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WIN a super bowl and all this noise will go away.
Sorry falling behind 21-3 to the Pack, team was not ready
when they stepped on the field for a playoff game. Inexcusable J Garrett.

I agree with this one. Garrett is not a HOF coach but I think he's a good coach. IF he wins 1-3 SBs then he'll be in the running for the HOF as he should be.

visionary

Reaction score
Garrett will never get a fair shot in this league being he has to do what no other coach in this league has to do which is coach under Jerry Jones. The great Bill Parcells couldn't do it and neither could Jimmy.

it took Garret far less than "decades" to build this current team he had.......and he had to do it with a meddling owner who thinks he's head coach/gm.

"Never get a fair shake" lol

Can you show me a HC in the last 20-25 years who inherited a top 5 QB, coached him for more than 3 years and has a worse playoff record than ginger?

The only one that comes close is Pagano and there is no way I want him coaching my team

With any other GM Garrett would have been fired years ago

Even blindness and hyperbole should have their limits

Zordon

Reaction score
Lombardi is right, I don't care how bad the defense was, we should have beaten Green Bay without Nelson. You're at home, everything was aligned for us.....I'm still sick about that L.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Garrett was thrown into the job before he was ready, but he has been doing a much better job, now. When he leaves, he will have no trouble getting another gig.

Garrett and Jerry both deserve a lot of credit for the current team; part of that success is surrounding yourself with others and listening to them.

Not comparing anyone to Jimmy Johnson, but he didn't coach any aspect of the team either....that particular judgment was BS. Jimmy had coached a long time and been a head coach in multiple situations before coming to Dallas. JG is still learning, but has his feet on the ground.

Section446

Reaction score
He hit the nail on the head... much like we weren't going anywhere with Romo at QB, we aren't going anywhere with Garrett at HC.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If we go 8-8 (or worse) I can't imagine Jerry wouldn't feel the pressure to fire this clown. I just have this terrible feeling he is going to waste Dak and Zeke's career, just like Romo.

Also, it's funny how many excuses the Garrett homers will come up with.
If we go 8-8 (or worse) I'm going to be sick.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Garrett will never get a fair shot in this league being he has to do what no other coach in this league has to do which is coach under Jerry Jones. The great Bill Parcells couldn't do it and neither could Jimmy.

it took Garret far less than "decades" to build this current team he had.......and he had to do it with a meddling owner who thinks he's head coach/gm.

If Jimmy failed, then I want Garrett to fail under Jerry exactly the same friggin way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we go 8-8 (or worse) I'm going to be sick.

Does nobody just want to believe those 8-8 defenses were as bad as they were? I mean, franchise worst. In the running for some of the worst in the league.

And we went 8-8 in three consecutive seasons with a very good QB, a rebuilding OL and still managed to compete for the division every season. These are reasons for coming up short. Not excuses. The fans acting like those 2011, 2012 teams ought to have been shoe-ins for the playoffs and further are the ones remembering things more rosily than they actually were, not the other way around.

And, as a sideline...there's no reason to be a 'homer' for a coach. Either the guy can coach or he can't. If he can coach, then there have to be other reasons why the team isn't getting it done. You're not being a homer fan who you say 'the problem is A, and not B.' It doesn't paint a rosier picture to say the HC or the QB is good, but the defense is bad. But it just doesn't make any sense to watch a secondary get splintered in successive playoff losses by a QB who has too much time to sit back there and pick it apart and keep concluding the problem is with the offensive play calling.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
If we go 8-8 (or worse) I can't imagine Jerry wouldn't feel the pressure to fire this clown. I just have this terrible feeling he is going to waste Dak and Zeke's career, just like Romo.

Also, it's funny how many excuses the Garrett homers will come up with.
I'm ok with Garrett as coach, but yeah, if we don't win more than 8 games this year, he needs to go........Of course, then so does Jerry. :)

gmoney112

Reaction score
Does nobody just want to believe those 8-8 defenses were as bad as they were? I mean, franchise worst. In the running for some of the worst in the league.

And we went 8-8 in three consecutive seasons with a very good QB, a rebuilding OL and still managed to compete for the division every season. These are reasons for coming up short. Not excuses. The fans acting like those 2011, 2012 teams ought to have been shoe-ins for the playoffs and further are the ones remembering things more rosily than they actually were, not the other way around.

And, as a sideline...there's no reason to be a 'homer' for a coach. Either the guy can coach or he can't. If he can coach, then there have to be other reasons why the team isn't getting it done. You're not being a homer fan who you say 'the problem is A, and not B.' It doesn't paint a rosier picture to say the HC or the QB is good, but the defense is bad. But it just doesn't make any sense to watch a secondary get splintered in successive playoff losses by a QB who has too much time to sit back there and pick it apart and keep concluding the problem is with the offensive play calling.

You're talking to knee-jerk cowboy fans.

The same people that won't credit JG for coaching maybe the greatest rookie QB campaign in the history of the league (after saying for years his offense sucked), but would gladly credit any other coach for doing it.

Who cares about Mike Lombardi anyway. The only times he's had any responsibility was the 2013-2014 Browns over personnel. And it was terrible.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

The division was awful and we had a great QB. If we were in any other division we wouldn't have competed. Didn't expect the team to do anything in the playoffs but to get eliminated 3 straight years to each of your division rivals is hard to take.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The division was awful and we had a great QB. If we were in any other division we wouldn't have competed. Didn't expect the team to do anything in the playoffs but to get eliminated 3 straight years to each of your division rivals is hard to take.

It was hard to take. People should have been embarrasssed by the quality of personnel on those defense's. Romo was working magic.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I think Jerry will give him two more seasons to bring it home regardless of record this year. At the end of those two years he'll get an extension or bye Felicia.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It just seems to me that expecting last year's team to beat Green Bay with a sad defense that couldn't stop one of the league's best QBs in Aaron Rodgers is a bit short-sighted. Let's face it -- our pass rush and secondary last year was pure crap and that's putting it mildly. Even then, we made it close enough to call it highly competitive.

If this team keeps having trouble in the playoffs for the next couple of years, then there might be just cause to blame it on the HC. Until then, there is still much work to do. Hopefully, a revitalized defense might somehow manage to do their part in helping to turn things around at playoff time.

Last edited: