Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

ghst187

Reaction score
Our great mistake, and I hope we are not lamenting this even more several years from now, was not running to the phone the second we heard Harbaugh was out in San Fran. I actually think he might have already had us in the Super Bowl by now.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
If we go 8-8 (or worse) I can't imagine Jerry wouldn't feel the pressure to fire this clown. I just have this terrible feeling he is going to waste Dak and Zeke's career, just like Romo.

Also, it's funny how many excuses the Garrett homers will come up with.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
“When you watch Jason Garrett coach, you really never sense he’s got control of the game. He’s subcontracted everything out. [Rod] Marinelli does the defense. [Scott] Linehan does the offense. [Rich] Bisaccia does the kicking game. I just don’t get the sense this guy’s command of the game and that’s really where the head coach needs to be.”

"He doesn't run the offense. All he does is the challenges and he won just 1 out of 3."

By this logic, all Bill Belicheck, Jim Caldwell, Pete Carroll, Jack Del Rio, John Fox, John Harbaugh, Vance Joseph, Marvin Lewis, Doug Marrone, Sean McDermott, Mike Mularkey, Chuck Pagano, Dan Quinn, Ron Rivera, and Mike Tomlin do is challenge plays.

That's all they do. Nothing else.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Our great mistake, and I hope we are not lamenting this even more several years from now, was not running to the phone the second we heard Harbaugh was out in San Fran. I actually think he might have already had us in the Super Bowl by now.
He is 10x better than Garrett.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett will never get a fair shot in this league being he has to do what no other coach in this league has to do which is coach under Jerry Jones. The great Bill Parcells couldn't do it and neither could Jimmy.

it took Garret far less than "decades" to build this current team he had.......and he had to do it with a meddling owner who thinks he's head coach/gm.

People like Lombardi are not taking into account the Jerry factor. The big name head coaches don't want to work for Jerry. Maybe Sean Payton would but that's about the only one.

Having said that, I think Garrett is probably better than the coaches in the bottom half of the league most years.

People seem to forget how bad some guys are when they become Head Coaches. Mike Singletary, Wade Phillips, etc..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is 10x better than Garrett.
No chance Jim Harbaugh comes here to work with Jerry when he got everything he wanted at his college job.

When Stephen Jones is officially in charge, then we might see that type of coach if they have not won a Super Bowl by then.

If Stephen were in charge, then it becomes one of the most desired jobs in sport, IMO.

Zordon

Reaction score
“If I’m a Cowboys fan, I have real questions about Jason Garrett as the head coach," Lombardi said. "He’s supposed to be in the prime, he’s had six years to be a head coach. He was an offensive guru that never had a lot of roo in his goo. He was never really never this innovator offensive guy."

:muttley::lmao2::lmao:
#facts

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No chance Jim Harbaugh comes here to work with Jerry when he got everything he wanted at his college job.

When Stephen Jones is officially in charge, then we might see that type of coach if they have not won a Super Bowl by then.

If Stephen were in charge, then it becomes one of the most desired jobs in sport, IMO.

That's the thing with Harbaugh. He's a tough guy to have around the building.

Fantastic coach, though. But you're right: there's no way he works effectively with Jerry Jones. That'd be like bringing an angry Jimmy Johnson back around.

Zordon

Reaction score
Here's a list of the 14 most tenured HC's in the NFL. Notice a trend?

Every coach on this list has gone to at least one Super Bowl as a HC or coordinator............except one. #itsaprocess

LRkjaqz.png

Jkyle

Reaction score
If we fail to make the Playoffs, barring an injury to Dak, then JG will have to go.
No excuse for this team not contending.
If Dak goes down for an extended period of time and that results in us missing the playoffs, then that could be considered a legitimate excuse, other than that there are none.

MileyDancer

Reaction score

I'm talking about his coaching ability. Why does everyone turn it into a "working with Jerry" thing? I never even said anything about Harbaugh coming here.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Lombardi is spot on. Jason makes for a nice feeling organization but will never outcoach top opponents during the playoffs. We should have beaten GB easily at home, they adopted to what we had shown them @ Lambeau and we came out flat without answers.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Here's a list of the 14 most tenured HC's in the NFL. Notice a trend?

Every coach on this list has gone to at least one Super Bowl as a HC or coordinator............except one. #itsaprocess

LRkjaqz.png

The Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990. I know Marvin Lewis went to a SB as a coordinator, but his lack of postseason success in Cincinnati makes Jason Garrett look like Vince Lombardi.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby were unreal in that game, and that's Garrett's fault? No other losing playoff team scored the 31 Dallas did vs. GB. Dallas lost because their defense - specifically their pass defense- let them down vs a future HOFer playing at an incredible level. Imagine if Jeff Heath's sack results in a fumble? Ugh.

Garrett has been the main reason the team started building their dominant OL, and he's the reason they've drafted well (with the exception of certain 2nd rounders) the last 6 years

Garrett is flawed, as he still gets too afraid to go for it on 4th down, and allows Linehan to rely too heavily on fades inside the 10 (but not as much last year with Dak), and his clock management still needs work (as do all coaches not name Belichick), but Lombardi is a total fraud.

Lombardi like Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennell, Scott Pioli and so many others have lived off the reputation of Belichick - and I stress lived OFF of, and not lived UP TO. There's a reason Belichick's never brought him back, and it's not because Lombardi is so terrific as a media personality. It's because BB doesn't need him.
The narrative has been laid out. Now it's up to those who want to lap it up as gospel to further their agenda. This can be spun to fit any agenda, pro-Garrett, anti-Garrett.

Personally, I don't need Lombardi's theory to sway my opinion in either direction. I'm a fan of my Cowboys, embarking on a brand new season. Save the (BS) coaching analysis for afterwards, then we can discuss it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lombardi is spot on. Jason makes for a nice feeling organization but will never outcoach top opponents during the playoffs. We should have beaten GB easily at home, they adopted to what we had shown them @ Lambeau and we came out flat without answers.

I have to agree with this, too. Dallas came out flat against the Lions in the 2014 wild card round, too, falling behind 14-0 before rallying to a 24-20 win. They almost pulled off the comeback against Green Bay, too, so Garrett has to take some blame.