Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I hated JG as an OC but loved his message of RKG and process as a HC. I also love how he gets the most from his players... that being said, the past 2 years or so the "competition" and "RKG" has sort of started to ring hollow from the knuckleheads on the team(not all his fault) to not allowing Romo a chance to compete at his spot.

I think there was a time for JG and there was a chance for him to take the next step and become the sustained leader of this franchise....but I think that time has passed. In fact, I truly believe that the only reason he was retained in the mess of 8-8 seasons was continuity with Romo,given Romo's age.

I would not be the least bit surprised for JG to get the axe if Dak struggles or the team has another mediocre season or two. I don't think they will risk Dak struggling for long if it does happen.

Maybe pessimistic but I think his lack of progress and development on the sidelines and scheme are his drawbacks...and they wash out how great he is at delivering messages and motivating the players. This leaves him as a mediocre coach. Maybe even Marvin Lewis.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Some are trying to compare him to Tom Landry but I just don't see it. If he goes on some Landry type winning streak I'll be glad to eat crow but I'm not counting on it. I just don't want to see Dak and Zeke waste their careers here. You don't have many years or chances to win the SB. Take advantage when you can. The future is now.

Why do you think they will waste their career? In their first year in the league they went 12-4 and made the playoffs....that's a great first step into this league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hated JG as an OC but loved his message of RKG and process as a HC. I also love how he gets the most from his players... that being said, the past 2 years or so the "competition" and "RKG" has sort of started to ring hollow from the knuckleheads on the team(not all his fault) to not allowing Romo a chance to compete at his spot.

I think there was a time for JG and there was a chance for him to take the next step and become the sustained leader of this franchise....but I think that time has passed. In fact, I truly believe that the only reason he was retained in the mess of 8-8 seasons was continuity with Romo,given Romo's age.

I would not be the least bit surprised for JG to get the axe if Dak struggles or the team has another mediocre season or two. I don't think they will risk Dak struggling for long if it does happen.

Maybe pessimistic but I think his lack of progress and development on the sidelines and scheme are his drawbacks...and they wash out how great he is at delivering messages and motivating the players. This leaves him as a mediocre coach. Maybe even Marvin Lewis.

Not allowing Romo a chance to compete is one of JG's bright spots IMO. I didn't think he had the balls to do what was best for the team but he did.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Why do you think they will waste their career? In their first year in the league they went 12-4 and made the playoffs....that's a great first step into this league.
Maybe because I remember 2007 when we had a young team and a fresh new QB. Years later he's gone after just 2 playoff wins. Wasted career here. Same with Witten and DWare who at least got a ring with Denver. Coaching matters.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe because I remember 2007 when we had a young team and a fresh new QB. Years later he's gone after just 2 playoff wins. Wasted career here. Same with Witten and DWare who at least got a ring with Denver. Coaching matters.

How many rings did Bellicheat win in Cleveland? Or how many did Pete Carroll win when he was in New England or New York?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
How many rings did Bellicheat win in Cleveland? Or how many did Pete Carroll win when he was in New England or New York?
And Garrett has outlasted them all. Nobody else would keep a coach this long with no success. It's wishful thinking that Garrett will end up like them. There is no proof. There are many more cases where coaches get fired and are hired someone else and fail again.

RoboQB

Reaction score

Damn, that is a bitter pill to swallow.

It was bittersweet seeing DWARE win one. He played well, too. I was happy for him, but couldn't help thinking of
how great it would've been if he was playing with the Star on his helmet that day... that game... the Super Bowl.

I have to admit to daydreaming about Tony Romo following in DWare's footsteps this upcoming year.
I mean, almost all of us thought for sure he was going to Denver. Hell, the players thought he was coming.
Romo was robbed of glory in GB when a play was decided in New York. But hey, maybe the defense blows it
after we score there. The point is, that's as close as he will ever get.

Jason Witten has an opportunity to go out like Elway. Maybe he can win two.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Garrett as a coach has been so-so. In the playoffs there were i counted 8 times we were in short yardage situations and 7/8 times they called a pass instead of running Zeke behind three All Pro linemen. That to me is losing sight of what got you the #1 seed to begin with. That needs to change.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wade got a fair shot.....he got fired a year later then he probably should've.

Wade's team quit on him after Romo's injury but when Romo got hurt for Garrett he had a "disatrous" 4-12 season.....funny you don't mention Romo went down in that season and 3 of those 4 wins came when Romo was healthy. Its clear you have a agenda....though this is the rare time i've seen that agenda be in favor for........Wade Phillips.

No he hasn't proven to be any better when it comes to wins in the post season.............but personnel-wise this team is better now than it was when Wade was here. Its more youthful as well. But if you want to argue that Garrett hasn't had any playoff success that can't be argued. Hopefullly that changes this year. If not, its probably time to move on.

LOL. I thought Wade was a better and fairer comparison because I thought it was ridiculous to keep using Jimmy and Parcells like you tried to do. Are you going to keep arguing that Jimmy had the exact same team that Shula had the year prior? You would do well to google that if you were not from that era or have no real clue what was going on in Miami at that time.

And no one, NO ONE, is arguing that today's team is NOT better than any of Wade's teams (which was essentially Garrett's team at the start of his HC career).

And Romo of 2010 is not Romo of 2015. 2010 Romo was still figuring things out and it was the OFFENSE that started Wade's LONE losing season as Cowboy's HC, Romo and Garrett were losing games they easily should have won but Garrett went pass happy even when he had leads.

That you say Wade should have been fired the year before is the height of hilarity. Have you already forgotten that he won ELEVEN games that year, your advocating firing Wade for a 11-5 season yet Garrett can go 8-8 THREE straight seasons with essentially same roster?? Selective memory or you are entirely biased in your opinion favoring Garrett. Stats without context are useless, just like your stance.

Forgive me while I continue kissing the butt of the ONLY Cowboys coach to deliver THREE Lombardi's to Big D, the MOST championships in franchise history.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL. I thought Wade was a better and fairer comparison because I thought it was ridiculous to keep using Jimmy and Parcells like you tried to do. Are you going to keep arguing that Jimmy had the exact same team that Shula had the year prior? You would do well to google that if you were not from that era or have no real clue what was going on in Miami at that time.

And no one, NO ONE, is arguing that today's team is NOT better than any of Wade's teams (which was essentially Garrett's team at the start of his HC career).

And Romo of 2010 is not Romo of 2015. 2010 Romo was still figuring things out and it was the OFFENSE that started Wade's LONE losing season as Cowboy's HC, Romo and Garrett were losing games they easily should have won but Garrett went pass happy even when he had leads.

That you say Wade should have been fired the year before is the height of hilarity. Have you already forgotten that he won ELEVEN games that year, your advocating firing Wade for a 11-5 season yet Garrett can go 8-8 THREE straight seasons with essentially same roster?? Selective memory or you are entirely biased in your opinion favoring Garrett. Stats without context are useless, just like your stance.

Forgive me while I continue kissing the butt of the ONLY Cowboys coach to deliver THREE Lombardi's to Big D, the MOST championships in franchise history.

That 11-5 team was flawed. We knew what Wade was. He couldn't command a room. HE had no respect from his players and Jerry Jones was running press conferences like he was the coach and Wade was his assistant. I felt bad for Wade honestly. He probably deserved better.

You seem to be offensive I mentioned Jimmy lol...even though I didn't mention him in the context you think he did but I guess that's when you're that much of a fan you really don't see what's actually there. I loved Jimmy here. Love the team he built and the 2 rings he got us. Love the ring he got Switzer.

My point in bringing up him was that he couldn't work for Jerry Jones. Not as in he couldn't win under him but he simply didn't want to deal with the headache. I brought him up in defense of the job Garrett has to do.

What on earth are you even talking about? What does this have to do with Garrett?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Garrett as a coach has been so-so. In the playoffs there were i counted 8 times we were in short yardage situations and 7/8 times they called a pass instead of running Zeke behind three All Pro linemen. That to me is losing sight of what got you the #1 seed to begin with. That needs to change.

They did that all year though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And Garrett has outlasted them all. Nobody else would keep a coach this long with no success. It's wishful thinking that Garrett will end up like them. There is no proof. There are many more cases where coaches get fired and are hired someone else and fail again.

Bellicheat was with the Browns for 4 years before they canned him if i'm not mistaken.....maybe they should've waited a little longer before they canned him?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And see that's what I mean when I say run the ball and people look at stats and say Zeke got his yards. Stats lie. When you have second and short ,run it especially when you have a defense like ours. Eat up the clock. Don't give a QB like Aaron Rogers a chance to hurt you because he will.

erod

Reaction score
Lol at fans who think they know one damn thing about coaching football.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
They did that all year though.
Not really. They ran the ball a good chunk of the time when it was 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, ect.
I like having a balance between the run and pass but in these situations who can match us at the LOS besides a team like New York with Snacks Harrison and Co.?

Reactions: BAT

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea and maybe he never would have won there. Tom Brady wasn't going there.

Maybe he would've.....we'll never know. I believe coaches should have longer than a 1 or 2 year leash personally. But front offices feel the pressure to do something.....

Not really. They ran the ball a good chunk of the time when it was 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, ect.
I like having a balance between the run and pass but in these situations who can match us at the LOS besides a team like New York with Snacks Harrison and Co.?
There were times last year when the Cowboys would play action pass on a 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 1 during the regular season.....Trust me.....Cowboyszone had a million posts discussing it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett's defenses were bad but Franchise worst? You are just as guilty of hyperbole as you're accusing others.

The Franchise worst defenses were under Landry (first 3 seasons), Jimmy (first 2 seasons) and Campo (every season).

Garrett had Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, Lee, Scandrick. All of them have been to a pro bowl under Garrett (except Scandrick who was considered the best player on team a season or two ago). Garrett also had Spencer, Sensabaugh, Church, Bradie James, Bruce Carter and Carr - solid players on D. Not to mention the highest rated corner since Deion!

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/dfw....ally-worst-d-in-nfl-history-a-stat-study/amp/