Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

Jimbo123

Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I'm ready to listen to a better football person than Mike Martz a guy who wants to pass pass pass

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Like I put in the other thread, wish would see the positive version of this from Jerry. Feel like all he ever says is "we had him graded as a second rounder, and got him for a 4th." Just gives me Henson, Hutchinson project vibes, and hasn't stopped. I'm all for moving on from Dak if he keeps flopping in the Playoffs, but unlike many of Dak's detractors, I am not on any Trey Lance bandwagon other than it would probably nail us a high draft pick for a franchise QB.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I'm ready to listen to a better football person than Mike Martz a guy who wants to pass pass pass
I don't know if this is just Hollywood LOL but the Kurt Warner movie had a great scene with Mike Martz where he stopped Warner who was stumbling his first game and gave him one of the most timely motivation talks in NFL history. Martz was portrayed as the guy who didn't want Warner, and was pushing him hard, while Vermeil thought he would work. Told Warner that everything he did up until that point was to push him to get ready for that moment. And that he believed 100% in Warner not as the backup, but the starter. Rest is history.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Martz gives favorable reviews for Dak Prescott, while giving poor reviews of Trey Lance.

I have a bad feeling about this thread's future...
Well given what the OP has said in the other threads on Trey...OP is gonna get exactly what he hoped for.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

Sounds like Dak 2.0...

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I don't know why more fans don't say it, he does remind me of Dak. The unpolished, no long-term starter in the SEC, Dak.
With the right people on offense, I wouldn't mind taking on Lance's rookie contract while looking for Dak's replacement.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
This is the guy who didnt see that he had a pro bowl QB on his roster - Kurt Warner. Only started him when a clearly inferior starter got injured. Warner's NFLE scouting reports graded him as pro bowl calibre - so Martz had no excuses.
Guy praised dak so hard going into the GB game they are just as dead wrong as us

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Mike Martz gives favorable reviews for Dak Prescott, while giving poor reviews of Trey Lance.

I have a bad feeling about this thread's future...
An 8th year starter who has had EVERY CONCEIVABLE INVESTMENT MADE INTO HIM...including getting most of the snaps his rookie year...

vs. a guy who sat due to pandemic, was drafted...got injured...and has limited playing time.

Yeah...a fair comparison. If we put 8 years into Lance, gave him 2 #1WRS, a certified 3 down back and countless complimentary weapons...Martz would have a point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why more fans don't say it, he does remind me of Dak. The unpolished, no long-term starter in the SEC, Dak.
More fans don't say it because it isn't true.

Dak started 11 games in his sophomore season, and every game his junior & senior seasons. In other words, he WAS a long term starter in the SEC.

Lance, on the other hand, was a one year starter at a Division II school, which isn't anything like Dak.

I don't care if your opinion of Dak isn't high, but at least get your facts straight.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'd say up to this point, Martz has been correct about Lance. Fortunately, players can develop, especially those who have had as little experience as Lance has. I'm sure what the 49ers saw was potential. However, while waiting on it, they unexpectedly found a starting quarterback and had no reason to wait any longer on something that might never happen.

We've got him and we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure the purpose of speculation beyond that, other than either to be negative about Lance or to be negative about Dak. I mean, these comments from Martz are from September 2022.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An 8th year starter who has had EVERY CONCEIVABLE INVESTMENT MADE INTO HIM...including getting most of the snaps his rookie year...

vs. a guy who sat due to pandemic, was drafted...got injured...and has limited playing time.

Yeah...a fair comparison. If we put 8 years into Lance, gave him 2 #1WRS, a certified 3 down back and countless complimentary weapons...Martz would have a point.
Devil's advocate says the 'every conceivable investment' discussion point is not totally one sided. Every available first round selection has the highest draft capital investment attached to them. They are almost invaluable in securing players towards (hopefully) upgrading team roster. San Francisco invested three such picks in Trey Lance before he ever took a snap in the NFL.

My point is not an endorsement of Dak Prescott. I could not care less whether he suits up this fall or somehow in 2025 for Dallas. It is just a point that Lance, while lacking the years as starter that Prescott has accumulated, is not 'investment poor' by comparison.