Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I dont disagree with that.
Its really a shame dak had those couple interceptions. While very few others played any better.....just cant have your qb do that, in that way. Even if we still lose i dont think dak takes that kind of heat.
Even as a Dak supporter he deserved the heat he took in that game. Started off way too slow, which has been a problem for him in all his postseason games, even the two that he won.

What's frustrating is we have all seen Dak perform at a high level before. Even against playoff teams in the regular season. Then when the chips are down it all goes down the drain. It's weird.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
More fans don't say it because it isn't true.

Dak started 11 games in his sophomore season, and every game his junior & senior seasons. In other words, he WAS a long term starter in the SEC.

Lance, on the other hand, was a one year starter at a Division II school, which isn't anything like Dak.

I don't care if your opinion of Dak isn't high, but at least get your facts straight.
Physical attributes, not experience. I already acknowledged Dak had the pedigree. Growing up in the SEC is about as NFL ready as you can get.

Like the other person pointed out though, the comments though on running like a fullback, accuracy issues, good long ball, remind me of Dak.

Physically both have a lot in common.

Motorola

Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

So...since Martz is harshly criticizing the Forty-niners for picking Lance...this session was probably done while he was still on the team = before last August.
Anyone following up with Marsh on what he thinks of the Cowboys trading a 4th round pick to SF just before the 2023 season started?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
ah, I'd have to see him for 8 or 9 years and I'd pay him like he's elite then I will make a call on him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There's a large group of fans on this forum that think changing the quarterback (Dak) is the magic formula that will make all this team's problems go away.

Guess they weren't paying attention between 1996-2015.
its grass is greener on the other side. lets just go get the next mahomes...and to some Lance is their mahomes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

@NotForLong

Tommy

Reaction score
I don't know if this is just Hollywood LOL but the Kurt Warner movie had a great scene with Mike Martz where he stopped Warner who was stumbling his first game and gave him one of the most timely motivation talks in NFL history. Martz was portrayed as the guy who didn't want Warner, and was pushing him hard, while Vermeil thought he would work. Told Warner that everything he did up until that point was to push him to get ready for that moment. And that he believed 100% in Warner not as the backup, but the starter. Rest is history.
Maybe that's what Martz is doing here with Trey Lance. He's pushing him hard but believes in him 100%. :thumbup:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Once dak lost his mobility, he looks average
not defending dak,

but he had the highest completion %, completions, 2nd highest TDs, highest QB rating in his career. 3rd in the league in passing, 2nd in completion %, 1st in TDs, 2nd in success rate in the league
didn't excel at every stat, but not average.

perhaps he has been average all along. I never thought he is elite. he is good. and what flavor of good do you want.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
but if somehow Lance does well, they will cry and say that dak didn't have a good offensive line, defense, coaches, and an easy schedule.

say it isn't true.

then the first game he loses you guys will be celebrating like you did when Rush lost.

leeblair

Reaction score

So, except for Cooper Rush, the Cowboys don't have a quarterback.
And they won't use Rush, despite the fact that he makes the Cowboys better.

So they had better find someone that they will use instead of Dak if they want to get better.

rags747

Reaction score
1.Trade Dak for a windfall 2. Start Lance 3. Lance plays Bigtime we have a QB 4. Lance fails and we go 4-13 we have Draft Capital to make our move for a 2025 QB. Simple fellas…

Havic

Reaction score
not defending dak,

but he had the highest completion %, completions, 2nd highest TDs, highest QB rating in his career. 3rd in the league in passing, 2nd in completion %, 1st in TDs, 2nd in success rate in the league
didn't excel at every stat, but not average.

perhaps he has been average all along. I never thought he is elite. he is good. and what flavor of good do you want.

He plays good enough in the regular season but what’s his combined stats in playoff games? I bet those numbers are way off. Once the competition gets tough, dak falters each time.

No shot against him but he has reached his ceiling and done incredibly well as a 4th rounder. But, those limitations get exposed every year in January

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I understand football just fine. I never claimed to be an expert but Martz's observations didn't require an expert level of football IQ.
he did say Lance sucks essentially. half of the people on this board are saying Lance will be great. and hasn't gotten a fair shake.

he is nowhere close to Dak. I am not advocating for Dak, but perhaps we go with lance, end up with a top 5 pick and a chance to pick an elite QB