Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones an ultimatum

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I should note that a good portion of this OP is not my original idea. I got a decent amount of this as a posting idea while watching Mark Holmes' channel while working today. He had a video about Dak and Mike McCarthy that got me thinking, and I will expound upon what he said.

Basically, the notion is that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones an ultimatum. I'll expound upon this here. Mike McCarthy is being set up to fail when you look at Stephen's risk aversion. As we all know, there's this stupid notion that our FO has of "we like our guys". When you look at our draft picks and you look at the holes likely to be opened as a result of players we are likely to lose in FA, trying to get this team in 2024 to be competitive will be a very difficult task. Even worse, here's our likely opponents next year (besides our division rivals, which is obvious): Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Carolina. Aside from Carolina, this is going to likely be a tough schedule. Oh, and we were lucky to get 12 wins when you look at our lack of a running game, which was bloody obvious entering the season. Jerry gave McCarthy a tough task with that, and McCarthy helped Dak to become a better QB (in the regular season) this season than last year. He guides our team to 12 wins. Under a coach like Jason Garrett, the roster last year with the schedule we had likely lands us 8-9 wins. Now, Jerry is setting McCarthy up for what will likely be a rough year. I think McCarthy should kick down the door of the FO and tell them to either (and MH gave a similar take) to either go all in and build him a championship roster, or sack him/let him part ways right now. Tell them, either give him a roster that can give him a chance to win now, or let me go. To paraphrase a MeatLoaf line, ask Jerry, "What's it going to be, boy? Yes or no? I can wait all night". Ask Jerry, does he believe that McCarthy can win a Super Bowl this year if given the right roster. If it's yes, then do everything in their power to build a roster that McCarthy needs to win a championship. It the answer is no, then McCarthy should tell them to find a new coach. As for those fans that want McCarthy gone, just a heads up, you may not like who Jerry/Stephen choose next. Chances are, it'll be a Garrett-style puppet.

As for Dak, he should absolutely be furious about some of the comments that have been in the media of late. Especially given that it seems that CeeDee hasn't come out after what his mum said to back him, despite the fact that Dak was the one who threw Lamb the ball to set the records that he set this year. The way the media has been excoriating him, and the way the FO hasn't exactly come to his defence, despite how many times he's gone to the mat for them. Dak should really go into the FO and tell them that, if they want an extension, then give him a roster (especially at RB, lb, and oline) that can give him a better chance to win a Super Bowl. Tell them that, if they want a deal, then give him a roster that he can use. Otherwise, they can either June 1 cut him, he might direct them to a trade, or he will just take the cap hit this year, and be on his way next year. Tell them that he wants a Super Bowl and wants a roster that he can win with in his and McCarthy's view (since they're seemingly close with each other). For those of you that want a new QB, I caution you. The replacement may not be great. Remember from Aikman to Romo. However, with the way the FO has treated Mike and Dak, they need to tell the FO that they want a commitment to build a true championship contender, or they will either leave this offseason or after this season.

This is NOT to say that I want either gone. I like both. However, I think the way they are treated is appalling and isn't normally done on any other team but ours. If the FO, like some on here seems to want, wants to keep treating them like this. Then maybe it's time we see what it'll be like without them. For those of you who have animosity towards Dak, just remember. Andy Dalton showed that finding a top QB isn't as easy as it seems. I would hope we can draft a good replacement if it comes to it, but I'm not sure I trust Jerry's acumen when it comes to QB selections. But, at the same time, these two men should really push the issue at Jerry. Tell him to go in, or lose them both. Maybe that'll get Jerry/Stephen's attention enough to actually try to win a Super Bowl this year.

Swagger

Reaction score
Andy Dalton had a better win % than Dak Prescott in games started and completed during that season as the Cowboys QB (with the most banged up o-line since pre 2016)...as did scrub Practice Squad QB Cooper Rush last season which contradicts the final paragraph.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Can someone please sum this up lol
Sure, basically, Mike and Dak should tell the FO to either give them a team around them to compete, or part ways with them. In Mike's case, retire or enter the pool for job searches as teams would be bound to want him. As for Dak, no new team friendly deals without a clear commitment from the FO that they're serious about winning. If they're not serious about winning, then let him go somewhere where the FO cares about winning.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
How do you get rid of the environment Jerry fosters? Our only hope as slim as it is is that Stephen runs things differently.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Andy Dalton had a better win % than Dak Prescott in games started and completed during that season as the Cowboys QB (with the most banged up o-line since pre 2016)...as did scrub Practice Squad QB Cooper Rush last season which contradicts the final paragraph.

Maybe, but would it have continued as the season goes on? The point is, I'm not sure the FO is serious about winning, and Mike and Dak, given their circumstances, should be wondering about that as well. If the FO is serious about winning, then they need that commitment from the FO (and not just in words). If the FO isn't serious about winning this year, then let them go on their way to a team that does want to win. Remember, Jerry wanted Paxton Lynch the year we got Dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How do you get rid of the environment Jerry fosters? Our only hope as slim as it is is that Stephen runs things differently.

According to Broddus (hopefully, I spelled his name right), Stephen basically runs a lot of the operations anyway (from a video I watched from him, not sure I can post the video here). Maybe him getting the HC and QB demanding more talent around them can wake him up that what he's doing isn't working.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Sure, basically, Mike and Dak should tell the FO to either give them a team around them to compete, or part ways with them. In Mike's case, retire or enter the pool for job searches as teams would be bound to want him. As for Dak, no new team friendly deals without a clear commitment from the FO that they're serious about winning. If they're not serious about winning, then let him go somewhere where the FO cares about winning.
It’s an interesting notion. But neither man has shown the type of backbone needed to do something like that. They’re more the cowardly type.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Like either Mike or Dak have leverage.

:lmao:

:flagwave:

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
However, with the way the FO has treated Mike and Dak, they need to tell the FO that they want a commitment to build a true championship contender, or they will either leave this offseason or after this season.
40M/yr to pad his stats against trash teams and inevitably choke in the playoffs, I'd say Jerry treated the fraud pretty good so far. Dak is the biggest reason why this roster as currently constructed will never win anything, he's in no position to give an ultimatum to anyone. On the contrary, any smart GM would tell him to either take a pay cut of start packing. But Jerry's a senile old clown so he'll give him a raise instead.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s an interesting notion. But neither man has shown the type of backbone needed to do something like that. They’re more the cowardly type.

Perhaps, but we need them to grow that backbone. If anything, Dak should take the lead on this and tell his agent no deals with Jerry unless a clear commitment to winning is made.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Like either Mike or Dak have leverage.

:lmao:

:flagwave:
Dak's current cap hit and contract situation actually gives him a lot of leverage. If either is going to lead this, Dak's the one. He needs to tell Jerry that, if he wants a team friendly deals, then Dak needs a commitment that Jerry will build him a roster capable of winning the Super Bowl.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
40M/yr to pad his stats against trash teams and inevitably choke in the playoffs, I'd say Jerry treated the fraud pretty good so far. Dak is the biggest reason why this roster as currently constructed will never win anything, he's in no position to give an ultimatum to anyone. On the contrary, any smart GM would tell him to either take a pay cut of start packing. But Jerry's a senile old clown so he'll give him a raise instead.

I'm not saying Dak is perfect, but 1. We can do a hell of a lot worse at QB, and 2. Dak is far from the only reason we lost the game to Green Bay.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I thought the Green Bay playoff game was appalling.

I agree, and I think, as I said in another thread, that the roster construction was appalling too. The FO could have done more to build the key weaknesses that were easily identifiable. RB being one of them. One of the best ways to help your QB is to give him a capable running game. Oh, and, even if the running game was top notch, you know my stance on our LB position. It's why Aaron Jones torched us. Our usage of safeties at LB was appalling.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Made Billions in Oil and Gas,Insurance and beautiful real estate projects,bought the Cowboys when they were at their lowest ebb then built them into the world's most lucrative 9 billion dollar sports franchise,taught the league how to rebuild local sponsorship to compete with the NBA and MLB and negotiated a recordbreaking TV contract,making the league owners big $.They gave him the gold jacket!built a world class stadium,sold the St.Louis Rams on moving back to the LA area then managed his own stadium architect to build a showplace at SoFi.

So that guy should listen to an ultimatim from his employees at 81 years old.Some people on this forum don't understand how the world works, I think.