Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones an ultimatum

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I hate Jerry Jones more than anyone ......... but what gives Mike or especially Dak the right to make ultimatums to anyone ....... they way Mike coached that playoff game and the way Dak has played in his last two playoff games ......... the front office should be making ultimatums.

@!* Dak and Mike

@!* Jerry and Steven

Maybe not ultimatum, but certainly make a clear point with an olive branch (in Dak's case, a potential team friendly deal) that they want Jerry to build a team that can legitimately win a championship. I'm talking about improved oline, a better rushing attack, and more physical linebackers so we can stop the run. In Dak's case, if Jerry agrees to it, the end game is that, assuming a 4 year deal, the Cowboys need to at least be in an NFCC game within two years and there's a clear path to a SB within the 4 year deal. If not, then that should trigger a clause that allows the team to shop Dak for a deal or cut him with minimal impact to the team. Basically, within two years of the new deal, if the Cowboys are not in an NFCC game with a clear SB path by the time the contract ends, then Dak and the Cowboys part ways.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There is no solution. Cowboys will not win until Jerry no longer around.

That may be, but I think the players have to be answer to that problem. We can't affect Jerry. The players can. They're the ones putting their bodies on the line. They need to make it clear to Jerry what they need to succeed. If Jerry starts losing his star players that bring him jersey revenue, then he might actually have a reason to care.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The fact that Jerry quickly chose to retain McCarthy, despite claims that he wants a Super Bowl so badly, exposes that lie beyond question.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This was your point, dude. You are using Aikman's playoff rating as an argument point. I shot down your point in a blaze of glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, you gotta figure stuff out for yourself first, before you start proclaiming others need to figure it out!!!
Yes, that is my point. Troy had a much better team with very few weaknesses if any. He did not have to carry the team. If he had a bad day they still had a good chance of winning.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should note that a good portion of this OP is not my original idea. I got a decent amount of this as a posting idea while watching Mark Holmes' channel while working today. He had a video about Dak and Mike McCarthy that got me thinking, and I will expound upon what he said
You should focus on your job and not on things you have no control of...just saying.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly, and I think he should get that commitment from Jerry before he signs on the line. All that's missing from Dak's resume is a Lombardi trophy. Dak should want a commitment, in exchange for a team friendly deal, from Jerry that he will stop at nothing to build a team that can win the Super Bowl. Anything less, Dak has many other teams that would vie for his services.
If I've learned one thing, it's that no amount of money is enough money. With a few exceptions. It holds true at any profession. I've seen people inconvenience themselves for more money, when they are already comfortable.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If I've learned one thing, it's that no amount of money is enough money. With a few exceptions. It holds true at any profession. I've seen people inconvenience themselves for more money, when they are already comfortable.

That is the way that side of things works.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
facepalm.jpg

Blue64

Reaction score
I should note that a good portion of this OP is not my original idea. I got a decent amount of this as a posting idea while watching Mark Holmes' channel while working today. He had a video about Dak and Mike McCarthy that got me thinking, and I will expound upon what he said.

Basically, the notion is that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones an ultimatum. I'll expound upon this here. Mike McCarthy is being set up to fail when you look at Stephen's risk aversion. As we all know, there's this stupid notion that our FO has of "we like our guys". When you look at our draft picks and you look at the holes likely to be opened as a result of players we are likely to lose in FA, trying to get this team in 2024 to be competitive will be a very difficult task. Even worse, here's our likely opponents next year (besides our division rivals, which is obvious): Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Carolina. Aside from Carolina, this is going to likely be a tough schedule. Oh, and we were lucky to get 12 wins when you look at our lack of a running game, which was bloody obvious entering the season. Jerry gave McCarthy a tough task with that, and McCarthy helped Dak to become a better QB (in the regular season) this season than last year. He guides our team to 12 wins. Under a coach like Jason Garrett, the roster last year with the schedule we had likely lands us 8-9 wins. Now, Jerry is setting McCarthy up for what will likely be a rough year. I think McCarthy should kick down the door of the FO and tell them to either (and MH gave a similar take) to either go all in and build him a championship roster, or sack him/let him part ways right now. Tell them, either give him a roster that can give him a chance to win now, or let me go. To paraphrase a MeatLoaf line, ask Jerry, "What's it going to be, boy? Yes or no? I can wait all night". Ask Jerry, does he believe that McCarthy can win a Super Bowl this year if given the right roster. If it's yes, then do everything in their power to build a roster that McCarthy needs to win a championship. It the answer is no, then McCarthy should tell them to find a new coach. As for those fans that want McCarthy gone, just a heads up, you may not like who Jerry/Stephen choose next. Chances are, it'll be a Garrett-style puppet.

As for Dak, he should absolutely be furious about some of the comments that have been in the media of late. Especially given that it seems that CeeDee hasn't come out after what his mum said to back him, despite the fact that Dak was the one who threw Lamb the ball to set the records that he set this year. The way the media has been excoriating him, and the way the FO hasn't exactly come to his defence, despite how many times he's gone to the mat for them. Dak should really go into the FO and tell them that, if they want an extension, then give him a roster (especially at RB, lb, and oline) that can give him a better chance to win a Super Bowl. Tell them that, if they want a deal, then give him a roster that he can use. Otherwise, they can either June 1 cut him, he might direct them to a trade, or he will just take the cap hit this year, and be on his way next year. Tell them that he wants a Super Bowl and wants a roster that he can win with in his and McCarthy's view (since they're seemingly close with each other). For those of you that want a new QB, I caution you. The replacement may not be great. Remember from Aikman to Romo. However, with the way the FO has treated Mike and Dak, they need to tell the FO that they want a commitment to build a true championship contender, or they will either leave this offseason or after this season.

This is NOT to say that I want either gone. I like both. However, I think the way they are treated is appalling and isn't normally done on any other team but ours. If the FO, like some on here seems to want, wants to keep treating them like this. Then maybe it's time we see what it'll be like without them. For those of you who have animosity towards Dak, just remember. Andy Dalton showed that finding a top QB isn't as easy as it seems. I would hope we can draft a good replacement if it comes to it, but I'm not sure I trust Jerry's acumen when it comes to QB selections. But, at the same time, these two men should really push the issue at Jerry. Tell him to go in, or lose them both. Maybe that'll get Jerry/Stephen's attention enough to actually try to win a Super Bowl this year.
Right… you make some great points.

Except that none of this will happen.
McCarthy
I should note that a good portion of this OP is not my original idea. I got a decent amount of this as a posting idea while watching Mark Holmes' channel while working today. He had a video about Dak and Mike McCarthy that got me thinking, and I will expound upon what he said.

Basically, the notion is that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones an ultimatum. I'll expound upon this here. Mike McCarthy is being set up to fail when you look at Stephen's risk aversion. As we all know, there's this stupid notion that our FO has of "we like our guys". When you look at our draft picks and you look at the holes likely to be opened as a result of players we are likely to lose in FA, trying to get this team in 2024 to be competitive will be a very difficult task. Even worse, here's our likely opponents next year (besides our division rivals, which is obvious): Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Carolina. Aside from Carolina, this is going to likely be a tough schedule. Oh, and we were lucky to get 12 wins when you look at our lack of a running game, which was bloody obvious entering the season. Jerry gave McCarthy a tough task with that, and McCarthy helped Dak to become a better QB (in the regular season) this season than last year. He guides our team to 12 wins. Under a coach like Jason Garrett, the roster last year with the schedule we had likely lands us 8-9 wins. Now, Jerry is setting McCarthy up for what will likely be a rough year. I think McCarthy should kick down the door of the FO and tell them to either (and MH gave a similar take) to either go all in and build him a championship roster, or sack him/let him part ways right now. Tell them, either give him a roster that can give him a chance to win now, or let me go. To paraphrase a MeatLoaf line, ask Jerry, "What's it going to be, boy? Yes or no? I can wait all night". Ask Jerry, does he believe that McCarthy can win a Super Bowl this year if given the right roster. If it's yes, then do everything in their power to build a roster that McCarthy needs to win a championship. It the answer is no, then McCarthy should tell them to find a new coach. As for those fans that want McCarthy gone, just a heads up, you may not like who Jerry/Stephen choose next. Chances are, it'll be a Garrett-style puppet.

As for Dak, he should absolutely be furious about some of the comments that have been in the media of late. Especially given that it seems that CeeDee hasn't come out after what his mum said to back him, despite the fact that Dak was the one who threw Lamb the ball to set the records that he set this year. The way the media has been excoriating him, and the way the FO hasn't exactly come to his defence, despite how many times he's gone to the mat for them. Dak should really go into the FO and tell them that, if they want an extension, then give him a roster (especially at RB, lb, and oline) that can give him a better chance to win a Super Bowl. Tell them that, if they want a deal, then give him a roster that he can use. Otherwise, they can either June 1 cut him, he might direct them to a trade, or he will just take the cap hit this year, and be on his way next year. Tell them that he wants a Super Bowl and wants a roster that he can win with in his and McCarthy's view (since they're seemingly close with each other). For those of you that want a new QB, I caution you. The replacement may not be great. Remember from Aikman to Romo. However, with the way the FO has treated Mike and Dak, they need to tell the FO that they want a commitment to build a true championship contender, or they will either leave this offseason or after this season.

This is NOT to say that I want either gone. I like both. However, I think the way they are treated is appalling and isn't normally done on any other team but ours. If the FO, like some on here seems to want, wants to keep treating them like this. Then maybe it's time we see what it'll be like without them. For those of you who have animosity towards Dak, just remember. Andy Dalton showed that finding a top QB isn't as easy as it seems. I would hope we can draft a good replacement if it comes to it, but I'm not sure I trust Jerry's acumen when it comes to QB selections. But, at the same time, these two men should really push the issue at Jerry. Tell him to go in, or lose them both. Maybe that'll get Jerry/Stephen's attention enough to actually try to win a Super Bowl this year.
Right… you make some great and valid points.

However, it will not happen. McCarthy is happy to make another year’s salary. He knows this team won’t compete.
This man won a SB because he had Aaron Rodgers on that team and a talented roster.
It wasn’t due to him.
He’s not a disciplinarian and his clock management is non-existent.

Which brings us to Dak… you cannot make a championship winner out of him.
He consistently fails against tough opposition as does most of the team. He could care less win or lose, despite what he says.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. When your QB buys Louis Vitton handbags so that the LV can remind him of Las Vegas… that’s all you need to know.
He’s an average QB that is being paid a top 5 salary and he’s going to milk that contract and subsequent extension.
He’s all about the money, that’s all.
To all you Dak lovers who are going to chime in, remember this… his gaudy numbers came as a result of playing weak teams.
What did he do against tough opponents? Had that deer caught in the headlights look and after the game vowed he would get better.
Yeah right.

Good fantasy, but that’s all it is. Fantasy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Right… you make some great points.

Except that none of this will happen.
McCarthy

Right… you make some great and valid points.

However, it will not happen. McCarthy is happy to make another year’s salary. He knows this team won’t compete.
This man won a SB because he had Aaron Rodgers on that team and a talented roster.
It wasn’t due to him.
He’s not a disciplinarian and his clock management is non-existent.

Which brings us to Dak… you cannot make a championship winner out of him.
He consistently fails against tough opposition as does most of the team. He could care less win or lose, despite what he says.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. When your QB buys Louis Vitton handbags so that the LV can remind him of Las Vegas… that’s all you need to know.
He’s an average QB that is being paid a top 5 salary and he’s going to milk that contract and subsequent extension.
He’s all about the money, that’s all.
To all you Dak lovers who are going to chime in, remember this… his gaudy numbers came as a result of playing weak teams.
What did he do against tough opponents? Had that deer caught in the headlights look and after the game vowed he would get better.
Yeah right.

Good fantasy, but that’s all it is. Fantasy.

Fair, but look how the defence fared against physical teams that could consistently run the ball.