Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones an ultimatum

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Made Billions in Oil and Gas,Insurance and beautiful real estate projects,bought the Cowboys when they were at their lowest ebb then built them into the world's most lucrative 9 billion dollar sports franchise,taught the league how to rebuild local sponsorship to compete with the NBA and MLB and negotiated a recordbreaking TV contract,making the league owners big $.They gave him the gold jacket!built a world class stadium,sold the St.Louis Rams on moving back to the LA area then managed his own stadium architect to build a showplace at SoFi.

So that guy should listen to an ultimatim from his employees at 81 years old.Some people on this forum don't understand how the world works, I think.

That's great and all, but what about the holes in this team that need fixing and improving for this team to have a chance at competing in 2024?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I was in business for 40 years. Employees giving their rich boss ultimatums doesn't usually end well for the employees. The boss just finds new employees.

Perhaps, but I am sure they'd probably like to know Jerry's level of commitment this year. Dak especially if he's going to sign an extension.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
On McCarthy. I don't think he is being set up to fail. He is coming back in his role for a 5th time. Although he makes some boneheaded decisions (i.e., time management), he has not lost his players. It seems the players' ringing endorsement of him kept him his job.

Dak is such an enigma. It's not his fault that he and his agent know how to negotiate better than JJ. Yet, I can't see how paying someone who is not delivering that much money. His contract at the very least should be performance-based.

I just read a post on another site that Dak will probably win a SB but not with Dallas just like the other former Cowboys players. I just wonder what they are basing that off of. Somehow, I would like to see it happen, but I doubt it. Is Dak really the victim in all of this?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I should note that a good portion of this OP is not my original idea. I got a decent amount of this as a posting idea while watching Mark Holmes' channel while working today. He had a video about Dak and Mike McCarthy that got me thinking, and I will expound upon what he said.

Basically, the notion is that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones an ultimatum. I'll expound upon this here. Mike McCarthy is being set up to fail when you look at Stephen's risk aversion. As we all know, there's this stupid notion that our FO has of "we like our guys". When you look at our draft picks and you look at the holes likely to be opened as a result of players we are likely to lose in FA, trying to get this team in 2024 to be competitive will be a very difficult task. Even worse, here's our likely opponents next year (besides our division rivals, which is obvious): Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Carolina. Aside from Carolina, this is going to likely be a tough schedule. Oh, and we were lucky to get 12 wins when you look at our lack of a running game, which was bloody obvious entering the season. Jerry gave McCarthy a tough task with that, and McCarthy helped Dak to become a better QB (in the regular season) this season than last year. He guides our team to 12 wins. Under a coach like Jason Garrett, the roster last year with the schedule we had likely lands us 8-9 wins. Now, Jerry is setting McCarthy up for what will likely be a rough year. I think McCarthy should kick down the door of the FO and tell them to either (and MH gave a similar take) to either go all in and build him a championship roster, or sack him/let him part ways right now. Tell them, either give him a roster that can give him a chance to win now, or let me go. To paraphrase a MeatLoaf line, ask Jerry, "What's it going to be, boy? Yes or no? I can wait all night". Ask Jerry, does he believe that McCarthy can win a Super Bowl this year if given the right roster. If it's yes, then do everything in their power to build a roster that McCarthy needs to win a championship. It the answer is no, then McCarthy should tell them to find a new coach. As for those fans that want McCarthy gone, just a heads up, you may not like who Jerry/Stephen choose next. Chances are, it'll be a Garrett-style puppet.

As for Dak, he should absolutely be furious about some of the comments that have been in the media of late. Especially given that it seems that CeeDee hasn't come out after what his mum said to back him, despite the fact that Dak was the one who threw Lamb the ball to set the records that he set this year. The way the media has been excoriating him, and the way the FO hasn't exactly come to his defence, despite how many times he's gone to the mat for them. Dak should really go into the FO and tell them that, if they want an extension, then give him a roster (especially at RB, lb, and oline) that can give him a better chance to win a Super Bowl. Tell them that, if they want a deal, then give him a roster that he can use. Otherwise, they can either June 1 cut him, he might direct them to a trade, or he will just take the cap hit this year, and be on his way next year. Tell them that he wants a Super Bowl and wants a roster that he can win with in his and McCarthy's view (since they're seemingly close with each other). For those of you that want a new QB, I caution you. The replacement may not be great. Remember from Aikman to Romo. However, with the way the FO has treated Mike and Dak, they need to tell the FO that they want a commitment to build a true championship contender, or they will either leave this offseason or after this season.

This is NOT to say that I want either gone. I like both. However, I think the way they are treated is appalling and isn't normally done on any other team but ours. If the FO, like some on here seems to want, wants to keep treating them like this. Then maybe it's time we see what it'll be like without them. For those of you who have animosity towards Dak, just remember. Andy Dalton showed that finding a top QB isn't as easy as it seems. I would hope we can draft a good replacement if it comes to it, but I'm not sure I trust Jerry's acumen when it comes to QB selections. But, at the same time, these two men should really push the issue at Jerry. Tell him to go in, or lose them both. Maybe that'll get Jerry/Stephen's attention enough to actually try to win a Super Bowl this year.

Loso86

Reaction score
I should note that a good portion of this OP is not my original idea. I got a decent amount of this as a posting idea while watching Mark Holmes' channel while working today. He had a video about Dak and Mike McCarthy that got me thinking, and I will expound upon what he said.

Basically, the notion is that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones an ultimatum. I'll expound upon this here. Mike McCarthy is being set up to fail when you look at Stephen's risk aversion. As we all know, there's this stupid notion that our FO has of "we like our guys". When you look at our draft picks and you look at the holes likely to be opened as a result of players we are likely to lose in FA, trying to get this team in 2024 to be competitive will be a very difficult task. Even worse, here's our likely opponents next year (besides our division rivals, which is obvious): Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Carolina. Aside from Carolina, this is going to likely be a tough schedule. Oh, and we were lucky to get 12 wins when you look at our lack of a running game, which was bloody obvious entering the season. Jerry gave McCarthy a tough task with that, and McCarthy helped Dak to become a better QB (in the regular season) this season than last year. He guides our team to 12 wins. Under a coach like Jason Garrett, the roster last year with the schedule we had likely lands us 8-9 wins. Now, Jerry is setting McCarthy up for what will likely be a rough year. I think McCarthy should kick down the door of the FO and tell them to either (and MH gave a similar take) to either go all in and build him a championship roster, or sack him/let him part ways right now. Tell them, either give him a roster that can give him a chance to win now, or let me go. To paraphrase a MeatLoaf line, ask Jerry, "What's it going to be, boy? Yes or no? I can wait all night". Ask Jerry, does he believe that McCarthy can win a Super Bowl this year if given the right roster. If it's yes, then do everything in their power to build a roster that McCarthy needs to win a championship. It the answer is no, then McCarthy should tell them to find a new coach. As for those fans that want McCarthy gone, just a heads up, you may not like who Jerry/Stephen choose next. Chances are, it'll be a Garrett-style puppet.

As for Dak, he should absolutely be furious about some of the comments that have been in the media of late. Especially given that it seems that CeeDee hasn't come out after what his mum said to back him, despite the fact that Dak was the one who threw Lamb the ball to set the records that he set this year. The way the media has been excoriating him, and the way the FO hasn't exactly come to his defence, despite how many times he's gone to the mat for them. Dak should really go into the FO and tell them that, if they want an extension, then give him a roster (especially at RB, lb, and oline) that can give him a better chance to win a Super Bowl. Tell them that, if they want a deal, then give him a roster that he can use. Otherwise, they can either June 1 cut him, he might direct them to a trade, or he will just take the cap hit this year, and be on his way next year. Tell them that he wants a Super Bowl and wants a roster that he can win with in his and McCarthy's view (since they're seemingly close with each other). For those of you that want a new QB, I caution you. The replacement may not be great. Remember from Aikman to Romo. However, with the way the FO has treated Mike and Dak, they need to tell the FO that they want a commitment to build a true championship contender, or they will either leave this offseason or after this season.

This is NOT to say that I want either gone. I like both. However, I think the way they are treated is appalling and isn't normally done on any other team but ours. If the FO, like some on here seems to want, wants to keep treating them like this. Then maybe it's time we see what it'll be like without them. For those of you who have animosity towards Dak, just remember. Andy Dalton showed that finding a top QB isn't as easy as it seems. I would hope we can draft a good replacement if it comes to it, but I'm not sure I trust Jerry's acumen when it comes to QB selections. But, at the same time, these two men should really push the issue at Jerry. Tell him to go in, or lose them both. Maybe that'll get Jerry/Stephen's attention enough to actually try to win a Super Bowl this year.
Yea how dare JJ and company give Dak his money surround him with good enough talent oh btw MM how dare they give him Dak and the D to go 12-5 3 years in a row. How Dare they expect the coach to prepare his team to show up etc etc etc! Lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yea how dare JJ and company give Dak his money surround him with good enough talent oh btw MM how dare they give him Dak and the D to go 12-5 3 years in a row. How Dare they expect the coach to prepare his team to show up etc etc etc! Lol
I think we can all agree that the LB and running game were never going to work. Maybe we couldn't have seen the DO injury happening, but the RB game with Pollard was bound to run into trouble. He's not Zeke, but the FO tried to run him like he was Zeke.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

This is NOT to say that I want either gone. I like both. However, I think the way they are treated is appalling and isn't normally done on any other team but ours. If the FO, like some on here seems to want, wants to keep treating them like this. Then maybe it's time we see what it'll be like without them. For those of you who have animosity towards Dak, just remember. Andy Dalton showed that finding a top QB isn't as easy as it seems. I would hope we can draft a good replacement if it comes to it, but I'm not sure I trust Jerry's acumen when it comes to QB selections. But, at the same time, these two men should really push the issue at Jerry. Tell him to go in, or lose them both. Maybe that'll get Jerry/Stephen's attention enough to actually try to win a Super Bowl.
I prefer boysenberry more than any ordinary jam.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Sure, basically, Mike and Dak should tell the FO to either give them a team around them to compete, or part ways with them. In Mike's case, retire or enter the pool for job searches as teams would be bound to want him. As for Dak, no new team friendly deals without a clear commitment from the FO that they're serious about winning. If they're not serious about winning, then let him go somewhere where the FO cares about winning.
Mike and Dak are getting paid. Mike isn't going to retire or willlingly enter the unemployment line. He probably knows this is his last HC gig. Dak is working on his contract extension, which is his main priority.

Loso86

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that the LB and running game were never going to work. Maybe we couldn't have seen the DO injury happening, but the RB game with Pollard was bound to run into trouble. He's not Zeke, but the FO tried to run him like he was Zeke.
I agree, but that's what over half our fans wanted. They said Zeke is done give Pollard Zeke's carries and we'll be fine!!. Guess not

Chasing6

Reaction score
Andy Dalton had a better win % than Dak Prescott in games started and completed during that season as the Cowboys QB (with the most banged up o-line since pre 2016)...as did scrub Practice Squad QB Cooper Rush last season which contradicts the final paragraph.
Dak's career win % is higher than Troy's and Tony's.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
I agree, and I think, as I said in another thread, that the roster construction was appalling too. The FO could have done more to build the key weaknesses that were easily identifiable. RB being one of them. One of the best ways to help your QB is to give him a capable running game. Oh, and, even if the running game was top notch, you know my stance on our LB position. It's why Aaron Jones torched us. Our usage of safeties at LB was appalling.
How many times does it have to be explained that if you pay a QB top dollar, you HAVE to go cheap at other positions on the roster?

The argument has been made and proven true that an NFL team is better off building a great overall roster with a QB on a rookie pay scale...

As long as Dak is being top dollar, we have no choice but to go cheap at the "lesser" positions such as LB and RB.

It's mind boggling how some fans can't understand this concept and this is the main reason we argued that paying a QB like Dak top dollar was foolish because he will never be able to overcome the weaknesses his salary creates on our roster.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Like either Mike or Dak have leverage.

:lmao:

:flagwave:
Right? Dak doesn't have to do anything, including winning, and he's getting paid regardless. Mike is just happy to be a HC here in Jerry World, just like Garrett was. When his time is up, his time is up. He's already admitted he lied to Jerry to get the job in the first place, and after admitting he can't get the team ready to win a playoff game following the most embarrassing loss in team history, the dude still gets to ride out his contract and off into the sunset. Why would either be upset?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Oh, on second reading it is a good analysis, wrong sometimes, but you compiled it for us. Thank you, lad!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
How many times does it have to be explained that if you pay a QB top dollar, you HAVE to go cheap at other positions on the roster?

The argument has been made and proven true that an NFL team is better off building a great overall roster with a QB on a rookie pay scale...

As long as Dak is being top dollar, we have no choice but to go cheap at the "lesser" positions such as LB and RB.

It's mind boggling how some fans can't understand this concept and this is the main reason we argued that paying a QB like Dak top dollar was foolish because he will never be able to overcome the weaknesses his salary creates on our roster.
Dak's expensive. Rookie QBs yes. LBs be cheap. Fans foolish.

Got it, frustrated lad.
Write more often!

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
LOL nobody's giving any ultimatums. Clearly fans have too much time on their hands.