Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott should give Jerry Jones an ultimatum

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Any form of negotiation is a dance of give-and-take. It would not be completely one-sided between the two men. Prescott can make roster demands but Jones can easily counter by claiming it will take a maximum restructuring of his contract to make it happen.

Prescott has restructured his contract before but to what degree in relation to his entire contractual compensation is a mystery to me. I have my doubts in that prior restructuring would be considered as a moderate change. Would Prescott agree to an above average restructuring--as allowable under the CBA--to help push his demands through?

I don't know those kinds of details. What I'd like to see is, if he approaches Jerry from a standpoint of wanting a champion built, then he needs to offer a team friendly deal IF Jerry will commit and show him that he will give him what he needs in FA. If I were him, my first request is for the best linebacker available in FA, and then draft another one. Get this defence physical. Then, he will probably want a C or a T (or both if we can't keep Biadsz). If Jerry can start by committing to that, then Dak should take a team friendly deal to allow that to be possible. By doing this, it puts the Cowboys in a position to actually become serious about building a team that can compete with the likes of Kansas City, Baltimore, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I certainly understand that the players and coaches need to be accountable for the flaws on the field too. I'm just saying that the entire organisation needs to become serious about winning. Not just in the regular season, but in the postseason too. We need a team to be built to compete in the regular AND postseason. The team the last few seasons has proven that you can win in the regular season, but, when you play playoff caliber teams, we aren't physical enough to handle them.
All of this goes without saying. I just don't see how McCarthy & Dak trying to throw their weight around and making demands helps with that.

McCarthy does have weight, but not that kind.:)

Chasing6

Reaction score
With different teams in a different era - where's the relevance...
The relevance is Troy played on arguable the best team ever assembled in the history of the NFL and Tony and Dak both have higher completion %'s and higher winning %'s. And by way Troy's playoffs stats are not good.

The only good stat Troy has is 3-0 in the SB. Good thing he did that all by himself some how with his poor stats.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know those kinds of details. What I'd like to see is, if he approaches Jerry from a standpoint of wanting a champion built, then he needs to offer a team friendly deal IF Jerry will commit and show him that he will give him what he needs in FA. If I were him, my first request is for the best linebacker available in FA, and then draft another one. Get this defence physical. Then, he will probably want a C or a T (or both if we can't keep Biadsz). If Jerry can start by committing to that, then Dak should take a team friendly deal to allow that to be possible. By doing this, it puts the Cowboys in a position to actually become serious about building a team that can compete with the likes of Kansas City, Baltimore, San Francisco, and Green Bay.
It is interesting you consider demands would begin with linebacker over offensive line instead of vice versa. I would think Prescott would prefer shoring up his pass protection and increasing running lanes for his backs to have more success--especially after the season he had.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It is interesting you consider demands would begin with linebacker over offensive line instead of vice versa. I would think Prescott would prefer shoring up his pass protection and increasing running lanes for his backs to have more success--especially after the season he had.

Sure, and it could go that way too. I think improving the oline would help. However, I was thinking, by getting a top Lb in FA, you can then go oline round 1 (assuming we also keep Biadsz) and go RB rounds 2 or 3. If the Cowboys do this, then the team can become more physical on defence and get the oline they need. Or, if the LBers available in FA aren't the most physical, then so be it. Then they go for the best olineman to replace Tyron Smith in FA, and then draft the best Lb in round 1. Either way, they can make the team more physical with either move.

HanD

Reaction score
For dak this line of thinking is cart before the horse. They can't build a roster for him unless he takes a team friendly deal now. I don't think he would either. He was selfish the first time wanting a market deal and short so he could cash in twice.

For mm, he has zero leverage after his offense was out coached against gb.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All of this goes without saying. I just don't see how McCarthy & Dak trying to throw their weight around and making demands helps with that.

McCarthy does have weight, but not that kind.:)

Because of Dak's contract. I understand that the Joneses could then just restructure his contract. If I'm Dak, then that also gives me my answer. That tells me, okay, they're not actually serious, so this season is likely his last in Dallas.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For dak this line of thinking is cart before the horse. They can't build a roster for him unless he takes a team friendly deal now. I don't think he would either. He was selfish the first time wanting a market deal and short so he could cash in twice.

For mm, he has zero leverage after his offense was out coached against gb.

That's where Dak should come in with both an ultimatum and an olive branch. He wants a team that can compete, and he's willing to take a team friendly deal to make it happen. However, he will not have a "no trade clause" this time so that, if he's unhappy with where Jerry's taking the team, he can request a trade. So, by doing this, Dak can sorta throw some weight around while also showing a way to put the team in a better position. The ideas are not mutually exclusive. However, he should want to see a move from Jerry that shows that he is actually committed to building a team that can compete with KC, Green Bay, SFO, and others of that caliber.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
A player and coach demand the owner do what they say, or else ...?

You think the other owners around the NFL would be happy with that approach?

Depends on how they do it, especially in Dak's case. He can tell them that he will take a team friendly deal (and he will not request a no trade clause), but he needs Jerry to commit to building a championship level team. If Jerry cannot commit, then he just either takes a restructure or says he won't take a deal until Jerry shows a commitment. It doesn't necessarily burn Jerry. He's giving Jerry a way to build a physical champion while also showing to Jerry that he wants a Super Bowl.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because of Dak's contract. I understand that the Joneses could then just restructure his contract. If I'm Dak, then that also gives me my answer. That tells me, okay, they're not actually serious, so this season is likely his last in Dallas.
Again, I don't think that's logical. An organization not accepting an employee trying to bully it with demands, and having a different opinion on how to proceed doesn't automatically mean it isn't serious.

Suppose Micah did the same, but his demands were a little different. And then CeeDee. Zack Martin. All with somewhat different ideas and demands. Would the team not bowing to all of them and finding some way to do what all these people demanded mean the team wasn't serious?

People can have their opinions on how serious Jerry is, but this just isn't the test of it.

HanD

Reaction score
That's where Dak should come in with both an ultimatum and an olive branch. He wants a team that can compete, and he's willing to take a team friendly deal to make it happen. However, he will not have a "no trade clause" this time so that, if he's unhappy with where Jerry's taking the team, he can request a trade. So, by doing this, Dak can sorta throw some weight around while also showing a way to put the team in a better position. The ideas are not mutually exclusive. However, he should want to see a move from Jerry that shows that he is actually committed to building a team that can compete with KC, Green Bay, SFO, and others of that caliber.
Dak is control with the no trade clause. If he wanted to be traded he could approve it. That clause benefited him so that dal couldn't trade him without his approval. I agree on the olive branch approach. Don't see player option contracts in NFL but maybe that's a possibility where he can extend in a player option if things are going right.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Again, I don't think that's logical. An organization not accepting an employee trying to bully it with demands, and having a different opinion on how to proceed doesn't automatically mean it isn't serious.

Suppose Micah did the same, but his demands were a little different. And then CeeDee. Zack Martin. All with somewhat different ideas and demands. Would the team not bowing to all of them and finding some way to do what all these people demanded mean the team wasn't serious?

People can have their opinions on how serious Jerry is, but this just isn't the test of it.

I will counter this by saying that, since the QB is the leader of the team, if the likes of CeeDee and Parsons see Dak take a team friendly deal to help build a champion, then they might follow suit. If they see the QB is trying to help the FO build a Super Bowl contender, then it would behoove them to help too in that way if they want a SB. Maybe ultimatum isn't the right way to say it, but Dak should enter any negotiations this year, imo, with the goal of getting what's fair, but also what can give the team all the wiggle room they need to build a champion. However, Jerry would need to commit to building such a team if Dak takes such a deal.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak is control with the no trade clause. If he wanted to be traded he could approve it. That clause benefited him so that dal couldn't trade him without his approval. I agree on the olive branch approach. Don't see player option contracts in NFL but maybe that's a possibility where he can extend in a player option if things are going right.

Exactly, and maybe that's the way to go with his contract in terms of him getting what's fair, but also getting the team to a point where the team can actually use FA. If he makes such a move and has such an option built into his contract, then it could force Jerry to actually build a team if he wants to keep his QB in tact. However, by removing the NTC, it also means that, should Dak not perform to the FO's standards, they can trade him at any time in the contract.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, and it could go that way too. I think improving the oline would help. However, I was thinking, by getting a top Lb in FA, you can then go oline round 1 (assuming we also keep Biadsz) and go RB rounds 2 or 3. If the Cowboys do this, then the team can become more physical on defence and get the oline they need. Or, if the LBers available in FA aren't the most physical, then so be it. Then they go for the best olineman to replace Tyron Smith in FA, and then draft the best Lb in round 1. Either way, they can make the team more physical with either move.
I will not claim I know what might be Prescott's thoughts but my guess is everyone would be upgradable per demands concerning the offensive line except Zack Martin and Tyler Smith.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly, and maybe that's the way to go with his contract in terms of him getting what's fair, but also getting the team to a point where the team can actually use FA. If he makes such a move and has such an option built into his contract, then it could force Jerry to actually build a team if he wants to keep his QB in tact. However, by removing the NTC, it also means that, should Dak not perform to the FO's standards, they can trade him at any time in the contract.

In other words, if Jerry builds a team that's clearly physical and ascribes to the way a team should be able to perform in the playoffs against the elite caliber teams and Dak still chokes, then Jerry can trigger a clause where he can trade or cut Dak at any time after one or two years with less effect on the cap. Maybe not fully that way, but I think you get where I'm going with this. It would have to be a performance-related issue for it to be triggered after a year or two. Dak would still get his guaranteed money, but the other key areas of the contract are dependent on how far into the playoffs Dak gets the team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I will not claim I know what might be Prescott's thoughts but my guess is everyone would be upgradable per demands concerning the offensive line except Zack Martin and Tyler Smith.

Nor do I. I have no idea what's in their heads. However, I think this is logical and likely. Everyone in the NFL is replaceable anyway. I think, logically, such a move by Dak would naturally lend more of a reason to Jerry to do what he can to build the best team he can build with the capability of stopping physical teams and beating them. In other words, it might cause Jerry to think about how he's built this team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Your are also missing 1 very important piece of information. Dallas does not want to trade Dak. If they did, why would they have agreed to a no trade clause to begin with??!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will counter this by saying that, since the QB is the leader of the team, if the likes of CeeDee and Parsons see Dak take a team friendly deal to help build a champion, then they might follow suit. If they see the QB is trying to help the FO build a Super Bowl contender, then it would behoove them to help too in that way if they want a SB. Maybe ultimatum isn't the right way to say it, but Dak should enter any negotiations this year, imo, with the goal of getting what's fair, but also what can give the team all the wiggle room they need to build a champion. However, Jerry would need to commit to building such a team if Dak takes such a deal.
We weren't talking about Dak taking a team friendly deal, were talking about Dak and McCarthy issuing ultimatums and making demands of Jerry

visionary

Reaction score
I have it on good authority that Dak walked i to Jerrys office to give him the ‘ultimatum’ on your advice and walked out with a check for 250 million and another 100 million in endorsements over 4 years

Any more questions?

:facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
The relevance is Troy played on arguable the best team ever assembled in the history of the NFL and Tony and Dak both have higher completion %'s and higher winning %'s. And by way Troy's playoffs stats are not good.

The only good stat Troy has is 3-0 in the SB. Good thing he did that all by himself some how with his poor stats.
689 yds/5 TDs 1 INT/111.9.

Those are his stats in the 3 super bowls.