Mike McCarthy explains reasons for Cowboys' limited pre-snap motion

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm 100% sure I won't the only one calling BS on McCarthy here.

Mike McCarthy explains reasons for Cowboys' limited pre-snap motion
Story by Ali Jawad
10/1/24

AA1ry9qa.img

For those wondering about the lack of pre-snap motions, Dallas Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy addressed concerns regarding the team's limited use of motion during a recent press conference.

While acknowledging the analytics that suggest the team could benefit from more motion, McCarthy emphasized the importance of considering various factors beyond raw statistics.

"We've got a great analytics department," McCarthy stated. "I think I've probably seen all the ones you saw and didn't throw out the ones that are good. That's part of the equation, too. I think part of what I was talking about earlier, you've got to look at the situation, particularly on offense.

As the Cowboys continue to evaluate their offensive strategies, it remains to be seen whether they will increase their use of pre-snap motion. McCarthy's comments suggest that a careful balance between analytics and situational awareness will be key in determining the team's approach moving forward.

Much more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=d169d5dc0bcb41ecfa4684941ddf2a12&ei=15

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Didn't they use a ton of motion last yr ? I think as the season progressed, they used more. And they were damn good when they did. C'mon Mike, do better.
I’ve wondered does Mike hold back from his playbook early on or does he just scrap things altogether….there was a time last year where things just clicked…maybe week 6 or 7….

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
It's easy to say that motion will help this offence out, but what we don't know is how well do the WRs hit their marks on their route tree, and end up where they are suppose to be.

Do they mess up pre-snap motion with illegal shift penalties. Do they not understand the pace of motion, and the leverage they are suppose to gain?

Does Dak hate managing pre-snap motion?

Are our players just too stupid to manage pre-snap motion? Or worse our coaches?

Who knows, but one thing that does jump out on the TV screen is how little ability our WRs have in getting separation, and how difficult it is for them to overcome physical press corners.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Personally, I think he’s keeping some things simple in the presnap operation so the OL can get on the same page and avoid more presnap penalties or missed assignments. It is possible that when the OL gets more comfortable with each other and what they are seeing that we may see more presnap motion and shifts. It’s a lot to expect the QB to help the OL (rookie C and LT) get the calls right, read the secondary, and also manage motion, etc. Sometimes he’s still helping receivers and RBs get in the right places.

Im not saying this is IT, just one possible explanation.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The bigger question is will Mike get a TV gig next year. Not sure. But he sure as $&&& ain't coaching

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Maybe they want to go on a quick snap sometimes also maybe they don’t want the WR sprinting across the field. Other then that it seams like the motion is always a good idea to read the defense. So mixing it up sounds like a good idea.