Mike McCarthy explains reasons for Cowboys' limited pre-snap motion

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Well, generally when a team isn't using motion it's because the players keep screwing it up with pre snap penalties or not being where they're supposed to be,,, or the QB is stupid and it's confusing him,,, there's always that. :cool: .
it’s probably that

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The formation tendencies part isn't a very good answer, but being in two minute mode so often is. If your strategic goal after falling behind is to not waste clock using motion is not a good idea. The crazy thing is that this is when the Cowboys offense seems to be at its best. Part of that could be a more conservative approach from the defense, but it's also possible that Dak and this offense works best when they don't have to think as much and can just play. I actually wonder if this team should look at turning the clock back just a few years and go with a faster tempo offense that so many teams wanted to run.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Big Mike got up there and said analytics andboio abfhio34o adbfgwio4 a dubonioahg igiorh lol, sounded worse than jerry

kskboys

Reaction score
The formation tendencies part isn't a very good answer, but being in two minute mode so often is. If your strategic goal after falling behind is to not waste clock using motion is not a good idea. The crazy thing is that this is when the Cowboys offense seems to be at its best. Part of that could be a more conservative approach from the defense, but it's also possible that Dak and this offense works best when they don't have to think as much and can just play. I actually wonder if this team should look at turning the clock back just a few years and go with a faster tempo offense that so many teams wanted to run.
Makes me wonder if the scheme is failing to get WRs open.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Penalties are killing a lot of drives. We also have a lot of drives starting inside our own 10 due to stupid holdings on kickoffs
I hear you, but also let's not forget how we can drive the football down the field, get near the RedZone or in the red zone, and start to get backed up because of stupid penalties causing us to lose our momentum, in which we kick field goals (which are fine, but eventually we need to put the ball in the end zone)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you just now realized that??????
The actual problem is that we can't run the ball and the whole league knows it. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at our backfield and see no threats. That makes the passing game a lot harder when the defense doesn't have to worry about the run.