Mike McCarthy explains reasons for Cowboys' limited pre-snap motion

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The actual problem is that we can't run the ball and the whole league knows it. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at our backfield and see no threats. That makes the passing game a lot harder when the defense doesn't have to worry about the run.
Totally agree, does our passing game really threaten you either???

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally agree, does our passing game really threaten you either???
Well, its mostly the same guys who put up a lot of points last year. CD is one of the best. Cooks is still out there......ferguson....... Dak is just having to deal with defenses being able to double lamb b/c they don't need safeties supporting the run defense. I think if we had signed Derrick Henry instead of Zeke, the offense would be a looking a whole lot better. Jerry really screwed up the offseason and its showing.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, its mostly the same guys who put up a lot of points last year. CD is one of the best. Cooks is still out there......ferguson....... Dak is just having to deal with defenses being able to double lamb b/c they don't need safeties supporting the run defense. I think if we had signed Derrick Henry instead of Zeke, the offense would be a looking a whole lot better. Jerry really screwed up the offseason and its showing.
would he really be that much better in our scheme, no doubt I hear everything you're saying

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe just too many excuses trying to justify this idiot keeping it as simple as possible because all that stuff takes lots of work and practice. And the players are just plain stupid to run them without screwing up. They already mess it up as it is. IOW, lazy all around. A disease that’s contagious.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The formation tendencies part isn't a very good answer, but being in two minute mode so often is. If your strategic goal after falling behind is to not waste clock using motion is not a good idea. The crazy thing is that this is when the Cowboys offense seems to be at its best. Part of that could be a more conservative approach from the defense, but it's also possible that Dak and this offense works best when they don't have to think as much and can just play. I actually wonder if this team should look at turning the clock back just a few years and go with a faster tempo offense that so many teams wanted to run.
It's not about the thinking not at all the problem here is most of the two-minute offenses if they stay in that type of flow I believe Mike McCarthy's not doing it early and often because they're protecting the defense but they score too quickly or if somehow they fail to get 3 points and have a shorter drive or fail to score at all excuse me then the defense can be right back out there and the defense sucks so bad right now I believe this methodical time consuming keep the ball and hope to score nonsense is protecting the defense....

And by the way an easier answer too and if you wanna look at this even further in depth what do you not do very much when you're in two-minute trying to score quickly run we don't run the ball well the run blocking and the runners the run scheme is our kick and without motion without misdirection and without creating anything for this offense the best thing to do is throw the ball and throw it on rhythm and that would be getting in a 2 minute offense has nothing to do with the players themselves or how they're worried about the defense on the other side it literally is the only thing we do well is he at Prescott and some guys that if they know they're gonna get into quick patterns and they're gonna run back up and the defense doesn't have time to breathe then we're gonna have more success doing so this isn't about comfortability with the players this is about scheme deficiencies the lack of run game being one-dimensional A2 minute offense is being 1 dimensional and we seem to be able to do that well if we can keep the defense from substituting and from being able to read what we might be doing on the next snap....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Everyone seems to care about Jerry's and Dak's money....
Right even though weekly we could go back and check there's a lot of top ten paid quarterbacks losing or having average to below average days on a weekly basis,,, no one seems to talk about their money much when you go out and see guys like kyler Murray just getting truck or Josh Allen already in two games this year 1 was really bad last week and then what was it the week before he had like 100 yards passing I mean there are lots of that we just go ahead and break them all down and it would be fair but if not stop acting like it's an anomaly to have a very highly paid quarterback on your team that also needs help in winning they all need help I watch Patrick mahomes and I posted some of the stats his stats are pretty average the last 11 games I don't know he's had like 12 touchdowns and eight interceptions he's not scoring a lot he's not as elite looking and now they're acting like he needs more wide receivers that's what they're talking about,,,

so somehow Prescott and Jerry are being put on an island and act like they're the only team that has some kind of issue and need help winning games it's like team game when you start having injuries all over and your coaches aren't helping then yeah you're gonna lose games it happens but keep pointing back to the guys who make the most money it's just ridiculous 'cause you look around the league every team has like five guys that are making the biggest part of the salary cap who they pay that's up to them but there are always at least five guys making a large percentage of the salary cap and then you have to fill in the rest and you hope they all workout...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Penalties are killing a lot of drives. We also have a lot of drives starting inside our own 10 due to stupid holdings on kickoffs
let's see penalties yes a fumble in a trip that caused an interception also cost us points also cost us momentum and flow in those games even though they look like they could be over before they started if you get some of those calls and less of those mistakes we could be 3 in one right now who knows I mean nobody really understands how that all works at having like such a bad unbalanced play calling against the Saints they missed 7 clear calls they could have been called against the Saints and they didn't yet they called every ticky tack play they could against us and yet it looked like it didn't matter but it does matter in the flow of a game when these things happen and that trip and fall in that interception and some of those penalties that gave them points this could have been a tie game at halftime if things could have just been slightly different that's why they call it a game of inches there's a fine line between winning and losing in this league this is all the parity.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the motion is always a good idea to read the defense.
Yeah they say it can tell you if it is a zone or man defense, which then should tell the qb where to throw the ball.
It may require smart coaches ,qb, and players to execute it right.........uh oh!
Mike cant say my players are too dumb to handle motion.