Mike McCarthy for Coach of the Year?​

Jul 12, 2024
Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst

Coach of the Year
Mike McCarthy
Dallas Cowboys · HC
Current odds to win COY: +5000

After another postseason flame-out, Dallas has been written off by many. Despite leading the Cowboys to three straight 12-5 records and a pair of division titles, McCarthy has caught a ton of flak thanks to the franchise's lofty expectations.

But the narrative could change quickly if McCarthy wins 12-plus games again with a weaker roster and a trio of stars (Dak Prescott, CeeDee Lamb and Micah Parsons) currently vying for new contracts. The people management and tactical approach needed to navigate a challenging assignment could finally lead the football world to give McCarthy his flowers as a great head coach.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jared-goff...-long-shot-picks-for-major-nfl-awards-in-2024

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach of the year for whatever high school team he'll be coaching.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
He’s won 12 games 3 years straight…..
I personally like Mike but Jerry won't let him be a real head coach and make all the decisions like hiring his own assistant coaches. That is the way I see it. Jerry is nothing but a meddling old man. They haven't won anything since Jerry took control of the team. I've seen all I need to in the last 29 years..

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’m not sure about coach of the year, and McCarthy has his flaws but right now MM is not a huge concern for me with this organization and I think overall he’s done pretty good. Post season success needs to come obviously but he has us in the hunt and in the running every year, now he needs to capitalize on it

12+88=7

Reaction score
IF Dallas wins in January a lot of narratives will change on Dallas, McCarthy, Prescott, and just about everyone in the organization.

Till then the same talking points will be regurgitated for the pro and con arguments.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I personally like Mike but Jerry won't let him be a real head coach and make all the decisions like hiring his own assistant coaches. That is the way I see it. Jerry is nothing but a meddling old man. They haven't won anything since Jerry took control of the team. I've seen all I need to in the last 29 years..
The coaching staff has been mostly a combo of mikes friends and guys he had from Green Bay. He also got rid of Jerry’s project coach Kellen Moore.

Some exceptions to this….mike zimmer, Leon Lett, but overall McCarthy seems to have a ton of say on his coaches.

leeblair

Reaction score

Jul 12, 2024
Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst

Coach of the Year
Mike McCarthy
Dallas Cowboys · HC

After another postseason flame-out, Dallas has been written off by many. Despite leading the Cowboys to three straight 12-5 records and a pair of division titles, McCarthy has caught a ton of flak thanks to the franchise's lofty expectations.

But the narrative could change quickly if McCarthy wins 12-plus games again with a weaker roster and a trio of stars (Dak Prescott, CeeDee Lamb and Micah Parsons) currently vying for new contracts. The people management and tactical approach needed to navigate a challenging assignment could finally lead the football world to give McCarthy his flowers as a great head coach.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jared-goff...-long-shot-picks-for-major-nfl-awards-in-2024
I don't know what Jerry is up to, but McCarthy apparently sold out at the end of last season to be part of it.
It's a shame, too; I liked McCarthy and think he was a step in the right direction when he was hired.
Unfortunately he didn't get to pick a starting quarterback and was saddled with Dak, who was already taught the Garrett philosophy and ensured the continuation of those idiotic ways.
I don't think McCarthy will have a winning season in 2024 and will inevitably take the fall for Jerry's infatuation with Dak.
But until his season ending press conference I would have supported him completely despite the Cowboys struggles.
His decision to go along with Jerry's circus could hurt his legacy in the NFL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Coach of the year?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Jul 12, 2024
Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst

Coach of the Year
Mike McCarthy
Dallas Cowboys · HC

That’s how it’s suppose to work. If you produce, you succeed. No one is giving the Cowboys a chance in hell in the national media. Probably 10 people here give them a chance. I believe a younger team produces a hungrier team. All it takes is for some leadership from both the coaches AND the players. Someone no one is thinking about right now could step up as a player and be that person. Either by vocal leadership or putting it all out their on the filed.

It’s easy for fans to give up. It’s easy. It takes an understanding that this is the NFL and anything can happen. I’ve seen it many times before. Giants were written off at the mid way point of the season and won enough games late to make the playoffs as a Wild Card team. Ended up winning the Super Bowl.

So all you who come here daily and say how bad the Cowboys suck, don’t come back trying to climb back on the ship you jumped off of. But you will.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Who cares? Ginger was a coach of the year once so that shows you what its worth