Mike McCarthy raves about Dak's work ethic and focus as he plays through his contract negotiations

GINeric

Reaction score
He has mouths to feed..... how the hell do you expect him to feed a baby mamma and new baby girl on only 60 mil a season? The poor child is barely living above poverty as it is.

It's no different than when golfers or hockey players try to get the biggest contracts they can to feed their baby mammas and new kids. So why should it be different for football players?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks. I believed it was used as an insult the way I've heard many people use these words as an insult.

You know.... people take words and change them to something else. For instance.... people say those Nikes are "sick". You drive a nice "whip", etc.

Again I believed that he was using "lame duck" as an insult to a Superbowl winning coach....

The same way he calls a perennial top 10, All-Pro, MVP candidate quarterback a "bum" or "below average". He says alot of negative things about Cowboys personnel that usually doesn't line up with real life facts and production.

But I'm man enough to say I was wrong this time.
Appreciate you manning up. I think the opinions of Dak are earned, though. A majority of us here at CZ are extremely competitive - we're not satisfied with regular season success. We don't celebrate simply making the playoffs, only to get embarrassed every year. We want to win the whole damn thing and only a loser would accept anything less. I want to see this team playing for championships, not having to settle for wildcard appearances every 2nd or 3rd year.

So yes, because the QB can't seem to get his crap together against the top teams he's earned being called a "bum" or "below average". I get that saying this pisses some fans off, but in all honesty, I don't care and I won't apologize for my opinion. And understand, it's only an opinion - it's not like I kicked your dog or stole candy from your child.

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score
Appreciate you manning up. I think the opinions of Dak are earned, though. A majority of us here at CZ are extremely competitive - we're not satisfied with regular season success. We don't celebrate simply making the playoffs, only to get embarrassed every year. We want to win the whole damn thing and only a loser would accept anything less. I want to see this team playing for championships, not having to settle for wildcard appearances every 2nd or 3rd year.

So yes, because the QB can't seem to get his crap together against the top teams he's earned being called a "bum" or "below average". I get that saying this pisses some fans off, but in all honesty, I don't care and I won't apologize for my opinion. And understand, it's only an opinion - it's not like I kicked your dog or stole candy from your child.

We all definitely want success for the Cowboys. Everyone knows Dak isn't elite and he hasn't stepped up fully when we needed him the most.

But it's sloppy and careless to put ALL blame on him in our most important when we've had others who've faded out in big games as well. Louis Riddick just talked about this on First Take yesterday.

I respect all opinions if they atleast line up close to reality. But a 4th round pick quarterback who is perennial top 10, made All-Pro and a MVP candidate in the same season he had a non functioning running can't be considered a bum or below average.

If that's the case name me other perennial top 10, All-Pro, MVP candidate quarterbacks who've never had a losing record on his resume that was considered a below average bum?

The NFL is over 100 years old. Is there other bum, below average quarterbacks in history with these small accomplishments?? The people who call Dak a bum or below average can never answer that question.....

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

It's not just that. Heck, most people 100% supported Dak some time ago. It's just that it's been too long since there has been any progress.

Homers really love to ignore time. For whatever reason they don't care about the last 28 years and they don't care about the Cowboys play off performance since Dak took office.

I mean he's doing the exact same thing he's done in his inaugural season. Leading the team to a great regular season and early play off exit. Back then I supported him as the starting QB in the play offs even with Romo returning. Simply because he had earned it. And while of course disappointing I didn't have that much of a problem with the loss because I thought it was just the beginning. The beginning of something great.

Little did I know that that was his ceiling right there. He was and always will be the classical bus driver. He goes as far as the team goes. Can't push it one inch further.

So could he win more play off games this year? Sure, if all stars align for this team he could have his Nick Foles moment. But since that hasn't worked in 8 years I'm just ready for a new guy. Jerry held on for too long to Romo, now he's doing the same thing with Dak.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll assume MM knows what he's talking about. I'll start off the coming season as a homer and make the team convince me otherwise. ;)

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's not just that. Heck, most people 100% supported Dak some time ago. It's just that it's been too long since there has been any progress.

Homers really love to ignore time. For whatever reason they don't care about the last 28 years and they don't care about the Cowboys play off performance since Dak took office.

I mean he's doing the exact same thing he's done in his inaugural season. Leading the team to a great regular season and early play off exit. Back then I supported him as the starting QB in the play offs even with Romo returning. Simply because he had earned it. And while of course disappointing I didn't have that much of a problem with the loss because I thought it was just the beginning. The beginning of something great.

Little did I know that that was his ceiling right there. He was and always will be the classical bus driver. He goes as far as the team goes. Can't push it one inch further.

So could he win more play off games this year? Sure, if all stars align for this team he could have his Nick Foles moment. But since that hasn't worked in 8 years I'm just ready for a new guy. Jerry held on for too long to Romo, now he's doing the same thing with Dak.
Dak fans love to say "The Cowboys sucked for 20 years before Dak arrived" which is true.

But that is such an incredibly weak thing to say, because you're essentially saying "Since the Cowboys sucked before Dak you should just accept that Dak sucks too like I have". Horrible mindset, but that's par for the course for player over team fans.

Also, anytime Dak fails the first line of defense is to bring up another QB that has failed in a similar situation. As if to say "See! This QB for another team failed too so Dak failing should be no big deal!" or "Well, THAT QB didn't play great against the 49ers, so it's okay that Dak didn't play great against them either."

You will see this stuff constantly, week after week, and failure after failure.

Then they will be shocked that Dak, the Cowboys QB, is getting talked about so much on a Dallas Cowboys message board for his failures while "QBs on other teams that have failed" aren't getting the same kind of criticism here.

The fan over team mindset, and the mental gymnastics it takes to be one, is something that is truly mind boggling.

GINeric

Reaction score

I'm glad you mentioned Nick Foles. I'm going to toss one more quarterback in there. Trent Dilpher.

I agree with everything you had to say regarding Dak. With that said, this is still a team sport, but you've mentioned things that DAK did or didn't do in a certain amount of years.

That's fair. Ok, so if that's the way we judge quarterbacks, shouldn't we respect and revereTrent Dilpher and Nick Foles MORE than we do Dan Marino and Jim Kelly?? This thing is bigger than regular season success.

Foles and Dilpher led their teams to Superbowl victories. Marino and Kelly couldn't. Therefore according to holding quarterbacks accountable in a team sport, that places Foles and Dilpher ahead of Marino and Kelly as far as the "respect for winning quarterbacks" go, am I right?

We also need to put Foles and Dilpher in the same category as Aaron Rodgers. These three quarterbacks all won one Superbowl apiece. Correct???

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Hey hater, there’s not 1 person here who celebrate simply making the playoffs. I know theres a lot of hater’s here who will believe this crap you just threw up against the wall and gives you likes but look at them. After that, show me anyone who said they’re happy just making the playoffs. FAKE NEWS!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned Nick Foles. I'm going to toss one more quarterback in there. Trent Dilpher.

I agree with everything you had to say regarding Dak. With that said, this is still a team sport, but you've mentioned things that DAK did or didn't do in a certain amount of years.

That's fair. Ok, so if that's the way we judge quarterbacks, shouldn't we respect and revereTrent Dilpher and Nick Foles MORE than we do Dan Marino and Jim Kelly?? This thing is bigger than regular season success.

Foles and Dilpher led their teams to Superbowl victories. Marino and Kelly couldn't. Therefore according to holding quarterbacks accountable in a team sport, that places Foles and Dilpher ahead of Marino and Kelly as far as the "respect for winning quarterbacks" go, am I right?

We also need to put Foles and Dilpher in the same category as Aaron Rodgers. These three quarterbacks all won one Superbowl apiece. Correct???
Personally I think Marino was something different. He breathed Superbowl air, he made it to conference finals. With him you had the feeling that it could happen any year. I honestly haven't felt it with Dak since January 22. Not anymore.

And that's not just because of the play off results. It's because of regular season games against KC or SF, that also made it pretty obvious. Some pieces of the puzzle are missing here and imo, while of course not the only one, Dak unfortunately is one of them.

But as I wrote in another thread, if they extend him I'll be there every January hoping for the best and wish him luck. I just won't let those stat padding regular season wins against the little guys get my hopes up anymore. 12-5 by itself means nothing.

Chasing6

Reaction score

So Jerry is a loser.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Personally I think Marino was something different. He breathed Superbowl air, he made it to conference finals. With him you had the feeling that it could happen any year. I honestly haven't felt it with Dak since January 22. Not anymore.

And that's not just because of the play off results. It's because of regular season games against KC or SF, that also made it pretty obvious. Some pieces of the puzzle are missing here and imo, while of course not the only one, Dak unfortunately is one of them.

But as I wrote in another thread, if they extend him I'll be there every January hoping for the best and wish him luck. I just won't let those stat padding regular season wins against the little guys get my hopes up anymore. 12-5 by itself means nothing.
So basically, you’ve just declared yourself as a fair weather fan. That’s good for a hater.