Twitter: Mike McCarthy says offense will be different

Dre11

Reaction score
No more button hooks!!!!!!

:flagwave:

nobody runs or call them button hooks anymore. they're more curls and comebacks, and they will still use them. MM is from the west coast offense family where using the short passing game is a premium.

Dre11

Reaction score
What? You don't like the 4-Wide look with 6 and 8 yard curls on 3rd and 10?...lol

Yes! More crossing routes! I agree 100%

except you'll still see them in the west coast short passing game.

ESisback

Reaction score
There will be adjustment, but I doubt it will be as daunting as some think. They won't be reinventing the wheel. Veterans have seen and adjusted to a lot of different things, so they will be quick studies, and our rookies won't be any more behind the curve than rookies on other teams.

Exactly!! It’s football, not building a new space shuttle. We’re ALWAYS “a couple of years away”. Why? Today’s NFL is year to year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Perfect thing to announce during contract negotiations.

Add another million a year.

He needs to learn and participate in OTAs.

Write the check already Jerry before we end up with another Fat Zeke Syndrome.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not too sure exactly what Big Mike means as "different," but I guess we'll see how different it is when things get underway in TC. I suspect most things will remain like they were with a fair number of nuances being integrated into the play calls, as well. I'm sure he's likely to inject some of the things he did with the Packers and that's all well and good, as long as it works. Fellas, I'm as anxious as can be to see what's in store for us! It'll be a trip, for sure.

I'm sure it won't be easy to overcome the disadvantages that we'll be subject to. With a new staff and new talents to be integrated into our new workable offensive and defensive systems, it'll take some intense work for this team to return to form. Lots of crucial adjustments will have to be forthcoming in the meantime. I think McCarthy and his staff will see to that but it won't be a cakewalk. Chances are, the end result should please most of us, though.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
Hopefully the route tree concepts will be different and scheme guys open as opposed to having to win your route v DB to make a play.....

wrs always have to win on a route, even the west coast passing game use timing and precision passing

ESisback

Reaction score
I wish I could give you a hundred likes.

Plus, everything we do is wrong, and if we aren’t perpetually unhappy, that means we’re naive excuse makers that embrace mediocrity.

I feel so useless. Apologies....

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
wrs always have to win on a route, even the west coast passing game use timing and precision passing
Most times , but you can scheme guys open. Pick plays were drastically under used by the offense, bunch formations cause confusion and we under utilized those too

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No more Zeke up the gut for 2 yards on first down for the umpteenth time in a game. I'll take some of that change.
How about a screen pass a little more often than once in a blue moon.

nobody

Reaction score
No more Zeke up the gut for 2 yards on first down for the umpteenth time in a game. I'll take some of that change.
How about a screen pass a little more often than once in a blue moon.

Moore's calling the plays. We'll see Zeke up the guy for 2 yards...we'll definitely see it.

slick325

Reaction score
This just reinforces to me that Barnum & Bailey made the HC job and Kellen Moore as OC a package deal.

Glad he is going to bring his offense but will make sure to run Dak "Friendly " plays. Hope he does not go away from being a sledgehammer running team that allows his high priced OL to control the LOS on offense and his RB to "eat".

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The offense ,defense, and ST will all be better this year, and they need to be as the div opponents
will all be better too.

Proof

Reaction score
LOL.. Mike McCarthy is the new head coach of the Dallas Cowboys who's expertise revolves around his Quarterback schools and schematically putting players in the best chance for success. Please explain to me how Mike needs to smarten up? All the guy said was the offense was going to change.. Isn't that to be expected since he is the new Head Coach whom hangs hit hat on offense? I hated our non-adaptable offense we ran in the past and many would argue was the reason for our inconsistencies.

I'm not sure you understand that Kellen Moore isn't ready to install his boise state offense into the cowboys system yet, or even any current playbook he has designed. Moore is where he is because Mike McCarthy liked some of his designs and wants to work with him to scheme against opposing defenses. Most people wanted Moore to stay and felt he was one of the few bright spots, why would you blame Mike for wanting to work with a guy like that? Sure mike is the head coach but he is offensive minded more in the framework of how Kellen is and not no adjustment Jason Garrett.

Guys gone wackadoodle

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Smokescreen.

How different can it be?

Moore is calling the plays.

Until he blows the tire and we are behind in the chase to the playoffs and Big Mike completely takes over..

this is a fantasy.

Mike said he was running the offense until further notice.

Let's hope Jerrah is not doing this. Mike will quickly find out in Dallas he has to say what he is going to do..then do it.

If he plays the game Gatrett did with Moore..

they failed and everybody was fired except Moore.

Why?

All the offensive coaches, HC, assistants, defensive coaches. assistants..why ?

To start fresh. Why Moore?

When you have a major wreck in your car and the repair shop fixes it..do you drive it home and day "done"?

Nope.

You take it to the closest auto lot and sell or trade it.

Bye Moore.

Smarten up Big Mike.
Old boy is going to add some of his WCO plays and philosophies to the playbook for Moore to call.
Moore's been calling Jason Garrett's playbook with his own wrinkles.
Now he's going to be calling the most efficient of those plays that worked and some of McCarthy's faves.
This isn't hard to figure out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not rocket science. And a vet player coming in as someone posted instead of a draft pick. Well, is it not just as hard for them to lose old habits from a different scheme and coach, than for a new young fresh mind that can be molded easier. In that same shorter period of time.:laugh:

Just giving an alternative point of view. :D :popcorn:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Old boy is going to add some of his WCO plays and philosophies to the playbook for Moore to call.
Moore's been calling Jason Garrett's playbook with his own wrinkles.
Now he's going to be calling the most efficient of those plays that worked and some of McCarthy's faves.
This isn't hard to figure out.
Well chicken wing breathe..

If you say so.

I just think Moore is in it for Jerrah's money.

He got entrance to us thru Linehan.

B/w him and Marinneli, all losers from Detroit IMO..they are just not top shelf stuff.

But none of us can see behind the smoke and mirrors.

So I look at it as if its growing pains but I am tired of all the poor starts out of the gate and scrambling to have to string 5, 6,7 wins in a row to make the playoffs.

Then one and done.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
lol... I don't know why people don't understand that offenses around the league aren't drastically different. route trees consists of pretty much the same routes some with just different names. even route concepts are the same.
You're right. It comes down to gameplanning which is coaching..............................................yeah :omg: