Twitter: Mike McCarthy says offense will be different

Portnoy1

Reaction score
As others have noted, its entirely possible to have different plays using the same terminology. Based on everything we have learned, its going to be more crossing routes and combo routes. Quite frankly, its going to put more pressure on the QB to make good reads.

Button hooks are relatively simple. You have one or two reads and then hit the right guy when he is at the predetermined depth.

Throwing a crossing route when you read man and its actually zone is a good way to throw a pick.

Dallas also has had an incredibly unimaginative run offense. I'm sure Zeke would like some more movement, counters and delays.

As a defender, it had to be really easy to read Dallas' offense. Hopefully that changes.
Speaking of Zeke and running plays, where on earth are the darn draws. I'm talking QB is under center, drops back 3 steps, looks right then hands off left to Zeke up the middle. We only run that when it's the end of half and we are draining clock with no attempt at points

Dre11

Reaction score
I bet we don't.
4 wide receivers all running short curls on 3rd and 10, or more
is a Garrett staple.

Only time we'll see that is when we play the Giants.

I bet you will see the curl and comeback, it's part of the west coast short passing game, Garrett offense is more vertical than people here want to acknowledge. when no bias is involved and folks from the outside watch film , they see it different.

https://www.giants.com/news/jason-garrett-dallas-cowboys-joe-judge-scheme-offensive-coordinator

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's a case to be made that the Dallas offense is due for change to fit today's standards. I'm thrilled to see that modernizing it is likely.:thumbup:

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
and the rookie learning curve is going to be steepened....for that reason i wouldnt mind trading our 1st rounder for a very good vet. Who knows though where everything is going to head this offseason, just have to hope for the best right?
Anytime a new offense comes in, it takes time for everyone to get on the same page. Ex. Vikings qb. 1st year he was sluggish. Last year he was much better. Again, just an example....and I am not fond of Cousins but you gotta admit he did a little better last year than the year before. He didn't look like he was so lost as in 2018. His qb rating was 107 compared to 99.7 the year before.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Anytime a new offense comes in, it takes time for everyone to get on the same page. Ex. Vikings qb. 1st year he was sluggish. Last year he was much better. Again, just an example....and I am not fond of Cousins but you gotta admit he did a little better last year than the year before. He didn't look like he was so lost as in 2018. His qb rating was 107 compared to 99.7 the year before.

True which is why I think it was important for McCarthy to keep Moore. I think we will see some changes but I think McCarthy does want to keep some continuity within the offense. Dallas was 1st in total yards, 2nd in passing and 5th in rushing. Also 6th in scoring. Having said that yes I think some changes will happen in how they attack in different situation and around the redzone. But all was not bad in terms of offense

RoboQB

Reaction score
I bet you will see the curl and comeback, it's part of the west coast short passing game, Garrett offense is more vertical than people here want to acknowledge. when no bias is involved and folks from the outside watch film , they see it different.

https://www.giants.com/news/jason-garrett-dallas-cowboys-joe-judge-scheme-offensive-coordinator

I feel like you're missing what I'm saying, which is fine because I'm half-joking anyway.
But.... I'm saying, again, you won't see FOUR CURL ROUTES of 6 to 8 yards on a 3rd and 10, or longer,
which is a staple in Garrett's offense (again, half-joking).

Of course, there will be curls and comebacks on the route tree.

Dre11

Reaction score
I feel like you're missing what I'm saying, which is fine because I'm half-joking anyway.
But.... I'm saying, again, you won't see FOUR CURL ROUTES of 6 to 8 yards on a 3rd and 10, or longer,
which is a staple in Garrett's offense (again, half-joking).

Of course, there will be curls and comebacks on the route tree.

I wouldn't be sure of that either. also because it may have been run a couple tomes( which I'm not sure I've seen) doesn't mean it's a staple of his offense, even if you're half joking.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.. Mike McCarthy is the new head coach of the Dallas Cowboys who's expertise revolves around his Quarterback schools and schematically putting players in the best chance for success. Please explain to me how Mike needs to smarten up? All the guy said was the offense was going to change.. Isn't that to be expected since he is the new Head Coach whom hangs hit hat on offense? I hated our non-adaptable offense we ran in the past and many would argue was the reason for our inconsistencies.

I'm not sure you understand that Kellen Moore isn't ready to install his boise state offense into the cowboys system yet, or even any current playbook he has designed. Moore is where he is because Mike McCarthy liked some of his designs and wants to work with him to scheme against opposing defenses. Most people wanted Moore to stay and felt he was one of the few bright spots, why would you blame Mike for wanting to work with a guy like that? Sure mike is the head coach but he is offensive minded more in the framework of how Kellen is and not no adjustment Jason Garrett.
He is doing everything he can to keep the DCs guessing. Good move.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I wouldn't be sure of that either. also because it may have been run a couple tomes( which I'm not sure I've seen) doesn't mean it's a staple of his offense, even if you're half joking.

Since it took three posts for you to understand I'm talking about
a 4-wide look with all 4 running 6-8 yard curls on 3rd and 10 plus,
I'm not surprised by your comment... lol

You seem cranky. Eat a Snickers. You'll feel better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
New scheme is fine, but will they have time to implement this year. That's my only concern.

Might be tougher, but they will be better the following year because of it. Probably the 2nd year is when we can legitimately expect the Cowboys to be true contenders under MM.

Dre11

Reaction score
Since it took three posts for you to understand I'm talking about
a 4-wide look with all 4 running 6-8 yard curls on 3rd and 10 plus,
I'm not surprised by your comment... lol

You seem cranky. Eat a Snickers. You'll feel better.

it didn't take 3 posts, I also know what 4 curls look like, calling it a staple means it's ran consistently, show me where it was ran consistently. not just 1 or 2 times.

RoboQB

Reaction score
it didn't take 3 posts, I also know what 4 curls look like, calling it a staple means it's ran consistently, show me where it was ran consistently. not just 1 or 2 times.

Still cranky, I see.
I realize there are many Garrett blunders over 10 years, so
I don't blame anyone for forgetting some of the lesser mishaps.

I seem to remember Beasley was here at the time.
4 guys running mirrored routes from each side.
All four were in the tv frame. Dak threw it to the middle,
about 3 yards from the nearest receiver.

It was a meltdown moment on this board.
Also, not the only time it was called.

If you take yourself too seriously on the board, I'm probably not
the one to have a discussion with. I like to joke around.

Dre11

Reaction score
Still cranky, I see.
I realize there are many Garrett blunders over 10 years, so
I don't blame anyone for forgetting some of the lesser mishaps.

I seem to remember Beasley was here at the time.
4 guys running mirrored routes from each side.
All four were in the tv frame. Dak threw it to the middle,
about 3 yards from the nearest receiver.

It was a meltdown moment on this board.
Also, not the only time it was called.

If you take yourself too seriously on the board, I'm probably not
the one to have a discussion with. I like to joke around.

again, seeing it 1 or 2 times isn't a staple. just stating a fact. this board meltdown amongst the dumbest thing.

RoboQB

Reaction score
again, seeing it 1 or 2 times isn't a staple. just stating a fact. this board meltdown amongst the dumbest thing.

Try real hard to not take things so seriously, Dre.
Comedy is a good thing.

Obviously, it's not really a "staple".