Twitter: Mike McCarthy talks Cowboys Defensive Changes

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Likely because Antwuann Woods, the 1 tech starter was hurt a portion of the year, and DL needed the backup depth behind Chris Covington, while Maliek (who surprisingly had his first injury free season in a contract year) with the likes of Crawford (before he got hurt?) Kerry Hyder and later Michael Bennett mixed in the 3 tech nickel rotation.

BTW, I'm hearing McCarthy is interested in talking to holdover asst. DL coach Leon Lett, who dealt with the DTs.

Collins was the starting 1tech for about half a season in 2017 when Paea and his backup both went to IR before mid-season.

Collins was not great at 1tech but it would have made more sense to play have him play some 1tech snaps and let Hill play the 3tech position that he had practiced all off-season.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Our offense is only ranked #1 in yards. Yards isn’t really a good measure of how good a QB or Offense is IMO. PPG are. Also, defense and ST are getting major changes, which leads me to believe that at least the spark of change will inspire the locker room and change the defense and ST enough to be better. Offense, however, remains unchanged the most part besides changes at smaller positions such as WR or RB coach. Kellen at OC and playcalling means our offense may remain the same as last year. I’m sure MM will help develop the offense, however, MM also said he liked a lot of plays Kellen used/played last year, so I doubt he will change it too much, which is concerning, especially in the red zone. We will see, however. I cannot predict the future. I may be wrong.
We are changing our entire offensive philosophy. You realize that right?

quickccc

Reaction score
Collins was the starting 1tech for about half a season in 2017 when Paea and his backup both went to IR before mid-season.

Collins was not great at 1tech but it would have made more sense to play have him play some 1tech snaps and let Hill play the 3tech position that he had practiced all off-season.

I had no problem with them keeping Maliek at 3 tech this year, than moving him over and forcing him to start at the 1 tech and essentially causing two starting lineup issues at both DT spots.
since Hill was a backup, and he was likely going to be a backup for his rookie year, with the idea-plan that he'd be ready to start in his 2nd year, I had no problem with him being used at both DT spots.
you have to do that with game day limited active numbers and depth spots.

but the big problem was Hill not getting the significant playing time and reps his rookie and ended up being vs inactive game day for most of his rookie year.
meaning Trysten will be that much more unprepared and unpolished going into his 2nd year.
For an highly invested 2nd rd. draft pick in a DL unit that still needs impact players, this was a huge setback.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the DTs were bad against the run. The problem was they were crap at pass rushing so they could be blocked 1 on 1 which let teams double the ends at times which led to positive off tackle runs. Better penetrating DTs would be great, especially against the pass.

Too much focus on penetrating DL was what started the problems defending the run.

Offenses starting with the Colts in 2018 then the Rams in the playoffs and multiple teams in 2019 tailored their running schemes to take advantage of the Cowboys defensive scheme.

It was an easy "algorithm". If this -> then this. Zone Blocking teams could really take advantage of Marinelli's scheme. Those offenses would run outside zone which has the option for a cut-back to the inside. The RB would "read" the 1tech DT and the 2 LBs (2 LBs in Nickel) and cut back inside or stay to the outside based on how much those players moved to the outside. OLinemen would kick-out on delayed blocks against the LBs to seal them either to the inside or to the outside depending on how far the players moved outside.

The RB really just had to read those blocks. If the blocker is inside of the LB, then that LB is vulnerable to the inside run. If that LB "stays at home", then the OL will kick out and get between him and the outside.

The RBs on those outside zone runs had those 3 defenders to "read" (1tech and 2 LBs).

If the RB just focused on taking advantage of the movement by the 1tech, then he would normally gain at least a couple of yards. If either of the LBs had the same reaction as the 1tech, then the chance of a significant gain is very good. If all 3 defenders reacted the same (i.e. Inside or Outside), then it was almost guaranteed to be a big gain for the RB.

A big part of that was the fact that the scheme was predictable.

Kris Richard got more involved and tried to put band-aids on the run defense by having the 1tech and LBs slow down their reactions to the outside zone run.
- The result was that instead of getting gashed by the inside cut-back like in the Rams playoff game, teams like the Vikings gashed them on the outside because the 3 key defenders had slowed down their reactions to move outside.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had no problem with them keeping Maliek at 3 tech this year, than moving him over and forcing him to start at the 1 tech and essentially causing two starting lineup issues at both DT spots.
since Hill was a backup, and he was likely going to be a backup for his rookie year, with the idea-plan that he'd be ready to start in his 2nd year, I had no problem with him being used at both DT spots.

but the big problem was Hill not getting the significant playing time and reps his rookie and ended up being vs inactive game day for most of his rookie year.
meaning Trysten will be that much more unprepared and unpolished going into his 2nd year.
For an highly invested 2nd rd. draft pick in a DL unit that still needs impact players, this was a huge setback.

Collins did not need to start at 1tech. Covington started at 1tech when Woods was out.

Collins just needed to play some snaps at 1tech which would have allowed Hill to play some snaps at 3tech.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With the new coaching staff and new scheme on D, the "set back" from Hill not playing more is less significant. He would have been learning Marinelli's scheme in 2019. In 2020 he has to learn a new scheme anyway.

At least he got some playing time and didn't really look physically overwhelmed for the most part.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Taco Charlton is gone in case you hadn't noticed. Nothing left to "play out" there. And Hill couldn't even get on the field to this point.

You're the blindest of homers. The self-inflicted ones, too fragile to admit it when anything goes wrong with their favorite team.

We were drafting very well, but since 2017 we haven't. There's no sugarcoating or getting around the fact that totally missing on our 1st round pick - while passing up an All-Pro sack leader has seriously hurt this team. Or that despite the clear need, our top pick in 2019 couldn't even crack the active roster. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

That's something we can agree on.

POINT;

there are others from Tacos draft still playing some starters, thats the point, there are no teams drafts that are 100% full proof...
2019 draft is way way too soon to judge..you like I stated are pessimist and cant see through the negativity..

moving on..

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POINT;there are others from Tacos draft still playing some starters, thats the pont, there are no teams drafts that are 100% full proof...
2019 draft is way way too soon to judge..you like I sated are pessimist and cant see through the negativity..

moving on..

fWx327.gif

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure hope not. But if memory severs, he was also "assistant head coach" while defensive line coach for Gruden in Tampa, so you know he held considerable weight and voice. Regardless, everyone looking at the change in Oakland is viewing it as a mistake and the guy who did a great job getting fired for "a guy that Gruden knows".

Raiders thought highly enough of Gruden to hire him. As I said with McCarthy he is the HC he needs to hire the staff he wants.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Collins did not need to start at 1tech. Covington started at 1tech when Woods was out.

Collins just needed to play some snaps at 1tech which would have allowed Hill to play some snaps at 3tech.

The problem with that whole scenario is Collins was BAADDDDDD at the 1T. He’s great as a gap shooter, but, even with his wife lower body, has a terrible anchor against double teams. To me, that is the #1 prerequisite for any 1T/NT - the ability to consistently hold your ground against double teams. The guy that can do that AND push the pocket is worth their weight in gold. Danny Shelton is definitely a FA they need to look at because of that ability alone.......

Valkyr

Reaction score
I just hope 'scheme fit' at the draft dies a horrible, painful death.

Oneiros

Reaction score
This I like. He’s doing a good job so far. I’m concerned about that offense (might be our weak spot next year) but if he can build up the rest of the team, we have nothing to worry about
Here's how I'm looking at it, if we can manage to improve the other two facets of our team that even if our offense isn't as highly ranked as they were this year I feel we'll be in a much better spot.

By shortening the field it should put a lot less pressure on the offense to constantly have to have 75 to 90 yard scoring drives given our poor starting field position.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Too much focus on penetrating DL was what started the problems defending the run.

Offenses starting with the Colts in 2018 then the Rams in the playoffs and multiple teams in 2019 tailored their running schemes to take advantage of the Cowboys defensive scheme.

It was an easy "algorithm". If this -> then this. Zone Blocking teams could really take advantage of Marinelli's scheme. Those offenses would run outside zone which has the option for a cut-back to the inside. The RB would "read" the 1tech DT and the 2 LBs (2 LBs in Nickel) and cut back inside or stay to the outside based on how much those players moved to the outside. OLinemen would kick-out on delayed blocks against the LBs to seal them either to the inside or to the outside depending on how far the players moved outside.

The RB really just had to read those blocks. If the blocker is inside of the LB, then that LB is vulnerable to the inside run. If that LB "stays at home", then the OL will kick out and get between him and the outside.

The RBs on those outside zone runs had those 3 defenders to "read" (1tech and 2 LBs).

If the RB just focused on taking advantage of the movement by the 1tech, then he would normally gain at least a couple of yards. If either of the LBs had the same reaction as the 1tech, then the chance of a significant gain is very good. If all 3 defenders reacted the same (i.e. Inside or Outside), then it was almost guaranteed to be a big gain for the RB.

A big part of that was the fact that the scheme was predictable.

Kris Richard got more involved and tried to put band-aids on the run defense by having the 1tech and LBs slow down their reactions to the outside zone run.
- The result was that instead of getting gashed by the inside cut-back like in the Rams playoff game, teams like the Vikings gashed them on the outside because the 3 key defenders had slowed down their reactions to move outside.

:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

Reactions: BAT