Twitter: Mike McCarthy talks Cowboys Defensive Changes

conner01

Reaction score
He's probably trying his best to avoid the inevitable questions about how his 10-year vanity project failed so miserably. And the incredible opportunity that he wasted during the 2019 season. He should hide.
I hope the first time he does come out that’s the first question

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Even by the PPG stat you mentioned and left out, the Cowboys were 6th in the league, and nearly 6 points per game better than in 2018.

Apologies. What would that stat be if we didn’t include garbage time points? Like points from the Bears and Packers games?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So does this mean they will draft a S and Heath will be gone, finally.
Draft a true DT, and it means Crawford will be gone, no more moving him from DT to DE to DT to DE.
No more 1 tech / 3 tech BS. Can't draft the best players because he "does not fit" one or the other.
Can Harris / Linguist fix Awuzie and Jones (if kept) and other DB's to actually turn and look for the ball and get picks.
Will the Talking Head DLaw shut up and play.

Yes, this off season already far better and interesting than if Garrett was still around. As interest would be at a minimum.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It hurts. The Red and Marinelli legacy was devastating.

It truly was. Garrett runs off guys like Bill Callahan and then brings in guys like Paul Alexander.

Lets Rich Bissacia leave for Oakland and thinks Keith O'Quinn can man the fort.

Loses Matt Eberflus at linebackers coach and just gives the job to Ben Bloom who was so far over his head that's the guy had a meltdown and was sent home.

Sticks by guys like Kiffin and Marinelli who the league has clearly passed by, because he doesn't know coaching.

Meanwhile, Marinelli gives us the gifts of Taco Charlton and a completely wasted 2017 1st round pick, followed by everybody's favorite inactive, Trysten Hill.

Everybody that defended that old fool should be ashamed of themselves.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It truly was. Garrett runs off guys like Bill Callahan and then brings in guys like Paul Alexander.

Lets Rich Bissacia leave for Oakland and thinks Keith O'Quinn can man the fort.

Loses Matt Eberflus at linebackers coach and just gives the job to Ben Bloom who was so far over his head that's the guy had a meltdown and was sent home.

Sticks by guys like Kiffin and Marinelli who the league has clearly passed by, because he doesn't know coaching.

Meanwhile, Marinelli gives us the gifts of Taco Charlton and a completely wasted 2017 1st round pick, followed by everybody's favorite inactive, Trysten Hill.

Everybody that defended that old fool should be ashamed of themselves.

I guess Gruden is a fool, Rod was not without a job for long. lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So we hired an Offense minded coach to take care of the defense?
The head coach has responsibility for every aspect of the team, so of course he will address the defense. That doesn't mean he is going to go it alone or act as D-Coordinator. He's hired people he feels are capable of making changes.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's hope that conversation ended with Mike saying, "I wish you were 10 years younger, we would have definitely kept you for sure.. "

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't it mentioned that McCarthy teams run a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4 defense?
Mike Nolan is the D-Coordinator. He has used a hybrid defense when he has been a DC in the past.

Hybrid is the future of defense in the NFL. The Pats use a different front on each down/distance situation.

The 4-3 / 3-4 question for many teams is really just about 1st downs and other specific situations.
  • The Pats in 2018 on 1st down most often used a 4-3. In 2019 they most often used a 3-4 on 1st downs.
  • Regardless, on 2nd and 3rd downs they varied their fronts.
  • 3-4
  • 4-3
  • 2-5
  • 1-6
  • wide-3/4 (Opposite of a 3-4. A 4-3 with 1 DT replaced by a LB.)

Gaps between Linemen:
3-4 tight gaps
4-3 wider gaps than 3-4
wide-3/4 wider gaps than 4-3

Then there are the semantics of what is an edge player that stands up but is really plays like a 4-3 DE on the majority of snaps (i.e. Rarely ever drops into coverage.).

Most of the Pats LBs are in the 255+ range. Some are probably bigger than Cowboys DEs Robert Quinn or Randy Gregory.

The on-field "brains" of that defense, LB Kyle Van Noy, is a free agent. I would over-pay to sign a guy like for the Cowboys. He can play that stand-up DE position in the hybrid defense that new DC Mike Nolan is likely to run but he can also play other LB positions.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This scheme need to be wide enough to accept rookie Trysten Hill who will make that second-year jump and become active on game day:facepalm:

The Cowboys only had Hill play 3tech DT in the preseason.

Then when he played during the regular season, they primarily used him at 1tech DT.]

It was known at draft time that he would take more time than some other draft picks to develop. The coaching staff made it almost impossible for him to have a role as a rookie by not putting him in 1 position and keeping him there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess Gruden is a fool, Rod was not without a job for long. lol

I don't "guess" on that one. Gruden is clearly a fool.

The Raiders improved from 13 sacks in 2018 to 32 in 2019. They went from 30th in the league in rushing yards allowed in 2018 to eighth in 2019 under Buckner.

But yeah, Gruden fires him so that he can rewind the clock and pretend it's 2003 all over again and these are the Buccaneers.

Dumb.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

The Raiders improved from 13 sacks in 2018 to 32 in 2019. They went from 30th in the league in rushing yards allowed in 2018 to eighth in 2019 under Buckner.

But yeah, Gruden fires him so that he can rewind the clock and pretend it's 2003 all over again and these are the Buccaneers.

Dumb.

I guess we will see how he does. I have no issue with Rod getting fired in Dallas and wish him the best.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess we will see how he does. I have no issue with Rod getting fired in Dallas and wish him the best.

I hold a grudge, as I think the guy has lived long enough on past reputation. He might be yet another "good guy" but I think he and his outdated ways have hurt this team and held it back. Undeniably so in selecting Taco Charlton and (thus far) Trysten Hill.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The on-field "brains" of that defense, LB Kyle Van Noy, is a free agent. I would over-pay to sign a guy like for the Cowboys. He can play that stand-up DE position in the hybrid defense that new DC Mike Nolan is likely to run but he can also play other LB positions.
I'd love to see them get Van Noy.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
So does this mean they will draft a S and Heath will be gone, finally.
Draft a true DT, and it means Crawford will be gone, no more moving him from DT to DE to DT to DE.
No more 1 tech / 3 tech BS. Can't draft the best players because he "does not fit" one or the other.
Can Harris / Linguist fix Awuzie and Jones (if kept) and other DB's to actually turn and look for the ball and get picks.
Will the Talking Head DLaw shut up and play.

Yes, this off season already far better and interesting than if Garrett was still around. As interest would be at a minimum.
This. I would be satisfied if we drafted 1 or 2 O linemen and focused the rest of the draft on the other side of the ball.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Dumb.
From our perspective as outsiders, yes, it looks crazy but we all gravitate toward what we experienced success with in the past. So, I understand why this route would look appealing to him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This scheme need to be wide enough to accept rookie Trysten Hill who will make that second-year jump and become active on game day:facepalm:
im betting he does LIke Taco who was in the dog house with coaches needed a change of his environment to get some production from him.. TH will get coached up and hopefully has renewed attitude with the new staff..

if not well after year 3 he will be ion the bubble but he was rookie in a broken system , so a clean slate would be refreshing from fans..get passed it...