Twitter: Mike McCarthy talks Cowboys Offense

csirl

Reaction score
Explain what you mean please. How will it be confusing? What will change?

Take a pass route.

Intricacies/detail of how its run are different in old and new playbook, even though its the same basic route.

Old habits die hard. When a player hears the Garrett terms, he will instinctively run the route as per Garretts playbook as this is what was drilled into him 100s times per week for a number of years. Easier to learn a new name for a new way rather than unlearn the old associations. There's a danger that when a player is under pressure in a game, old instincts will come to the surface and the player will run the route the Garrett way instead of the MM way.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
So according to Broaddus, Dallas is keeping Jason Garrett 's offense despite hiring an offensive coach? Jerry, Jerry, Jerry....
Broaddus later amended his comment, saying the offense would be "similar" to last year's. Which makes sense, considering that last year's offense was largely successful. I'm sure they'll take a long hard look at what worked, what didn't, and what can be added to that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’m excited to see the offense in his west coast system style. He’s also never had a running back like zeke so let’s hope he utilizes him correctly
Wonder if Olawale has any gas left in the tank now that he might actually have a role or would have had a role.
Never understood why he was even rostered in Garretts stagnant game script, but if he still remembers how to play, he could be a real sleeper in this West Coast scheme.

Jamize Olawale signed a 3 year contract with the Dallas Cowboys on March 14, 2019. The contract is worth $5.4 million with $2.8 million guaranteed at signing. Olawale can earn up to $100,000 in per game roster bonus pay each year of the contract ($6,250 per game active). - (From - over the cap.)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Further proof that Big Mike perceives the offense to be bent, not broken. He's bending himself as much as the team is bending to meet him. He's putting as much on the onus for learning on himself as much as the players. If I am a player, this guy gets my attention.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree. It goes with the win now theme. You can transition the offense faster if you minimize the players learning curve. What I like is that he recognizes that the offense can be tweaked but it's the D and ST that need a shakeup.

Exactly, its a mix of old school and new approaches. The defense was the problem and Special Teams was a disaster. Those get completely thrown out. But Dak has called Kellen Moore a genius since his rookie year when they were teammates and Moore was coaching him up even then. It aint broke so McCarthy isn't going to fix it.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Broaddus later amended his comment, saying the offense would be "similar" to last year's. Which makes sense, considering that last year's offense was largely successful. I'm sure they'll take a long hard look at what worked, what didn't, and what can be added to that.
Yeah..

It has taken 4 years to see the offense produce more than feeding Zeke the rock.

Why change everything?