Mike Nolan history

jday

Reaction score
Hasn't been a defensive coordinator since 2014 in Atlanta.

Took over the Falcons DC job and inherited the #8 defense in the league.

It went to #12, #28, and #32 the next three years.

Nobody offered him a DC position since then.

Excited?
I am still excited.

People grow.

And how a defense ranks against teams that played a completely different schedule can be misleading.

Lastly, I don't recall alot of talented defenders on those Atlanta teams...were they asking the chef to make a cake without the requisite ingredients?

:thumbup:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Excited?
not any more :(

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hmm. I'll need to check, but the DVOA was straight from fottballoutsiders. Thanks for the heads up.

I looked at this, not all that long ago. I actually started a thread on Nolan, I believe, when his name surfaced. I believe that his time with the Jets is the killer there. He only spent a season as DC and his Defense was middle of the pack and because he only spent a year as their DC, he never improved it. Same thing in Denver.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
“A whole lotta excuses goin’ round”

E25-ABDEC-9769-4-E14-B061-5-A9230033-DF8.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
He is an average DC. He has had some decents to runs, and some mediocre to bad runs. If he has good talent, he can probably field a defense good enough to win.

I was underwhelmed with the hire, but there were worse people the could have gone with. Either way Im not gonna chug the Koolaid

Fair enough

- Rod Marinelli led a Turnover frenzy creating Defense as the Bears DC ...but could not deliver that here in Dallas

- Kris Richard was a engineering part of the Legion of Boom, which was a scheme Cowboys wanted to mimick here but we never gave him his
type of LB coach, and he had to work with leftovers drafted before his arrival, .and just like Marinelli, it got to a point where the players
did not respond to him ..

Now it's Mike Nolan's turn. We saw excitement with Marinell Tampa/Bears hopeful ... we saw excitement with a fiery Kris Richard and
a hopeful Legion of Boom style 2.0 here

We're getting excited about the " potential " of the pass rush with the heralded names and past resume and a hopeful resurgence with LVE and jaylon but
it really is on paper optimism and renewed enthusiasm that is experienced with every new DC that comes in...

It's a hopeful and wait and see.....cross yoru fingers

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fair enough

- Rod Marinelli led a Turnover frenzy creating Defense as the Bears DC ...but could not deliver that here in Dallas

- Kris Richard was a engineering part of the Legion of Boom, which was a scheme Cowboys wanted to mimick here but we never gave him his
type of LB coach, and he had to work with leftovers drafted before his arrival, .and just like Marinelli, it got to a point where the players
did not respond to him ..

Now it's Mike Nolan's turn. We saw excitement with Marinell Tampa/Bears hopeful ... we saw excitement with a fiery Kris Richard and
a hopeful Legion of Boom style 2.0 here

We're getting excited about the " potential " of the pass rush with the heralded names and past resume and a hopeful resurgence with LVE and jaylon but
it really is on paper optimism and renewed enthusiasm that is experienced with every new DC that comes in...

It's a hopeful and wait and see.....cross yoru fingers

There are very, very few DCs who can sustain a dominating Defense in the NFL. It's really a shame because you no longer see really balanced teams in the NFL. You used to see that but not much anymore. The problem, as I see it, is that the league is geared towards Offense and that translates into substantial advantages for Offensive Coaches. If you look at Marinelli, he had some pretty decent years in Dallas, but things got tougher. I think that's just how the NFL works in todays game.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
At the end of the day we are still a team crammed full of Jerrys guys. A team that has shown an inability to get the job done year after year. A team with no accountability. A team with players that have already been paid (less Dak). Will some new coaches make all the difference? Mark me down as skeptical.

kskboys

Reaction score
There are very, very few DCs who can sustain a dominating Defense in the NFL. It's really a shame because you no longer see really balanced teams in the NFL. You used to see that but not much anymore. The problem, as I see it, is that the league is geared towards Offense and that translates into substantial advantages for Offensive Coaches. If you look at Marinelli, he had some pretty decent years in Dallas, but things got tougher. I think that's just how the NFL works in todays game.
While I did like Marinate's ability to motivate players, he appeared to be clueless when it came to personnel. Maybe he didn't realize the extreme value of guys like Sapp, Melton, and even Toeaina who was a stalwart at DT.

Dre11

Reaction score
yes MM will not just allow that side of the ball to go rouge and be bad for a long period, hes not Garett just letting Marinelli and Richard just do whatever.. if Nolan's plan starts spiraling MM will be over there letting him know fix it@!

No chaz green disasters..

Lol...until Jerry start picking his coordinator for him.

erod

Reaction score
I am still excited.

People grow.

And how a defense ranks against teams that played a completely different schedule can be misleading.

Lastly, I don't recall alot of talented defenders on those Atlanta teams...were they asking the chef to make a cake without the requisite ingredients?

:thumbup:
They were good when he got there. They were 32nd in the league when he left. And nobody has offered him since until now.

McCarthy got his job in Green Bay largely from Nolan's promotions and support in San Francisco. Nolan failed miserably as head coach there.

They're besties.

He might be awesome, but that his history the past 10+ years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While I did like Marinate's ability to motivate players, he appeared to be clueless when it came to personnel. Maybe he didn't realize the extreme value of guys like Sapp, Melton, and even Toeaina who was a stalwart at DT.

I don't honestly think that was it. I remember either hearing a report or reading a piece about how Kiffin and subsequently, Marinelli got the gig in Dallas. Basically, Kiffin was brought in as DC, as we all know, and he brought in Marinelli, who goes back with Marinelli to the USC John Robinson days. Basically, the Cowboys were in a cap situation in 2012/2013. At that time, we had Tony, Murray, Bryant, and several others who were all, either getting paid or coming up on contracts and Kiffin convinced Jerry that Rod was a guy who could do more with less along the DL. That was a big bonus and so he was offered the job with the idea that he would be getting results with lessor talent on the DL. That's why we never really saw big investment in the DT position IMO. I think that this, more then anything else, is why we saw personnel issues on those Marinelli teams but that's just my opinion.

quickccc

Reaction score
What’s the difference between Nolan and Rob Ryan? Both came from Baltimore during their hay day and both ended up under Payton in NO. Both blitz exotically. Robs blitzes confused this D more than helped it

wrong ryan.... it was rex ryan that was in baltimore...

rob ryan was never in baltimore..

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
wrong ryan.... it was rex ryan that was in baltimore...

rob ryan was never in baltimore..
Hmm learn something new. I thought they were both in Baltimore together.

Nevertheless, we’ve tried this approach before. His system can’t be that different from his brothers who both morphed it from their dad.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Excited?

agree.

I haven’t liked this hire.

It’s a bad hire.

For two reasons.

1). Nolan burned his career in ATL.

2.) Nolan is big buddies with Mike. That’s why he was hired. Payback for the 2005 OC hire at 49ers. Everyone knows this.

kumizi

Reaction score
The only reason people are excited is because he's a different face. He'll go the same way Sanjay Lal or Kris Richard did. People get all hyped for mediocre coaches as long as they're new. Obviously no other front office thinks he's a good defensive coordinator candidate for the last several years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes.

I've been a fan of the way he calls defenses for a long time.

He may end up being terrible but he won't give opposing QB's a look that is so easy to read that middle schools QB's know where to consistently go with the ball.

Gotta run a more complicated defense to put more pressure on QBs. It will cost us some at times, but offenses are just too efficient now to play it safe and wait for them to make mistakes. Especially in the playoffs against the best QBs. Gotta confuse them and pressure them.

Nolan may work out, and he may not. Marinelli was just not going to on principle.

quickccc

Reaction score
agree.

I haven’t liked this hire.

It’s a bad hire.

For two reasons.

1). Nolan burned his career in ATL.

2.) Nolan is big buddies with Mike. That’s why he was hired. Payback for the 2005 OC hire at 49ers. Everyone knows this.

Depends upon who you ask and what/how much they want to take per just one team, .or more of the other teams he was DC with.
All your attention is clearly upon just ATL only with Nolan.

lostar2009

Reaction score

Excited?

Too be honest Atlanta D never been good. Would like to see what he can do with our players. Plus we got him some nice groceries.