Mike Nolan Stats by Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Nolan is a downgrade from Marinelli but people like the type of guys he prefers at least along the DL over what we had with marinelli.

The last time Nolan was a DC, was with atlanta in 2012 and they gave us 5.9 yards per play while marinelli gave up only 5.2 in a more pass happy league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Nolan is a downgrade from Marinelli but people like the type of guys he prefers at least along the DL over what we had with marinelli.

The last time Nolan was a DC, was with atlanta in 2012 and they gave us 5.9 yards per play while marinelli gave up only 5.2 in a more pass happy league.

Yards yes you are right but look at the ints by Atlanta in 2012 which was 20 ints the 4th most in the league. This is one area Dallas has just not done well in. I know the season the Saints won it all their defense gave up yardage but they also took the ball away quite a bit.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ocus-off-mike-nolan-for-defensive-coordinator

Mike Nolan to the Packers looked to be a sure thing just a week ago, but now Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy will have to look elsewhere for his next defensive coordinator.

The former 49ers head coach will be the new defensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos, according to the NFL Network. Nolan will join the staff of new Denver head coach Josh McDaniels, who just landed his first head coaching job at the age of 32.

In all honesty, I'm a little disappointed we let Nolan get away. I was excited to see him team back up with his buddy McCarthy, and also to see how he'd work the 3-4 scheme into Green Bay. I wonder if this was a result of McCarthy not wanting Nolan to join him, Packers GM Ted Thompson wanting to go in a different direction, or Nolan's desire to be in Denver. We'll have to wait and see.

There's more articles from 2009 that hinted Nolan and McCarthy could of joined up again in Green Bay

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...-defensive-coordinator-very-very-interesting/
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...or-sanders-among-six-coaches-fired-by-packers

So, I do disagree with @QuincyCarterEra that this was purely a Jones hire. Maybe Jones liked Nolan too but there was talk of Nolan going to Green Bay but it never actually happened.

This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a while.

Good work on finding this info!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Nolan is a legacy guy and we know how they are treated in this league. Like bad pennies they keep turning up. His record is not good by any measure. Here is what I hope...

He did a good job in NO and was under Dennis Allen. I think Allen is one of the best so maybe he learned something.

George Edwards is here. Edwards was under Zimmer, also one of the best. I think Edwards was brought in to help with a 4-3 configuration.

Marinelli and his staff were terrible. Bloom was an atrocity of a LB coach. Richard is all talk. It was a terrible group.

This coaching staff has a LOT of experience. Big Mike knows how to win. The defense will be better but I bet the leash with Nolan is short.

#KRichardHate

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The results to come for this defense will surely be the result of more influence than just Mike Nolan. MM and Tomsula will have their say as well. If they should decide Nolan's contributions have been insufficient, it'll be up to them to decide if he's at fault and what's to be done. I'll take that. :cool:

It took 7 seasons to get rid of Marinelli.

Nolan could hang around for years.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Marinelli’s defenses weee much better at it in previous stops. So it’s curious to know why that wasn’t the case in Dallas. If it was due to the personnel, or perhaps changes in the game and the way offenses chose to attack his system. Some big time misses on pass rushers like Gregory, and Taco didn’t help either.

Marinelli's good years as a coordinator came when he was under a defensive head coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the days of playing bend but don't break with Nolan here is gone. He will coach a more aggressive attacking defense, down side when you take chances and become more aggressive you can get burned but I'm looking at all the teams he has worked as DC and one thing I do see is ints and turnovers in general. I see it as more risk/reward.

gimmesix

Reaction score
drafting ed reed and terrell suggs made Baltimore alot better after Nolan left

This is another one of those things that make it tough to evaluate coordinators. A good coordinator in a bad situation is not going to be very good no matter what he does. A bad coordinator in a good situation can look better than he is.

I don't have a breakdown of the defenses that Nolan coached so I can't really say whether he coached them up or coached them down.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think the days of playing bend but don't break with Nolan here is gone. He will coach a more aggressive attacking defense, down side when you take chances and become more aggressive you can get burned but I'm looking at all the teams he has worked as DC and one thing I do see is ints and turnovers in general. I see it as more risk/reward.

And I think that's what McCarthy wants. He believes he has the offensive firepower to score with anyone, so having a defense that can get a turnover or two should provide an edge that the offense can run with.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And I think that's what McCarthy wants. He believes he has the offensive firepower to score with anyone, so having a defense that can get a turnover or two should provide an edge that the offense can run with.

That is what I hope for. I'm not trying to advocate one style of defense over another. Only trying to look at Nolan and what he will be attempting to do in Dallas. Based on what I see his defense will give up yardage but they also tend to come up with the int. I agree this appears to be what McCarthy is looking for, not a bend but don't break with limited turnovers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rod wasn't mentioned once in the OP, and I didn't bring him. Just responding to most responses. Hasn't been mentioned since.

Good try though. Lol.

And you thought you were coy by not mentioning him in the first place. And then exposed your true purpose at the first opportunity.

Good try though.

Valkyr

Reaction score
NFL coach AND Men's Wearhouse model, not many can do that

Mike+Nolan+Detroit+Lions+v+San+Francisco+49ers+kYYd8mqfekel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.