Mike Nolan Stats by Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJK24

Reaction score
No one knows what to expect at this point from the defense. It appears we drafted some potentially good defensive players and obviously Nolan is an unknown. You could go back and make arguments about things hes done in the past and I wont debate it, but for me, I'd much rather see what he does here and now and not what hes done in the past.

I say before we make any determinations either way, we see what the defense does over the course of the season. Not one game or one play where someone on a forum decides what would have been the "right call."

I'll watch and see what he does as the players learn his scheme and how our team responds, especially players who seemed to regress to some level last year. I'll take the wait and see approach at this point and I'm happy we made a change.

Valkyr

Reaction score
At this point, I just want the defense to be involved with turnovers during the game and not just eating apple turnovers before the game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's good reason to be skeptical but there's not good reason to panic.

Well sure because you have to see how it plays out before you know for sure. Right now I see stats based on yardage his past defense gave up? to me yardage is not one of the main things I look at when I watch a defense. Points allowed, turnover play a bigger role in my view.

jday

Reaction score
NYG 4 seasons:
Average NFL ranking in yards allowed: 12th best
Average points allowed: 8th

Wash 3 seasons:
Yards: 24th

Improved dramatically once Nolan left

NYJ 1 season:
Yards: 10th

Baltimore 3 seasons:
Yards: 10th

Went on the be the dominant Balt defense we knew in the mid-2000's after Nolan left

SF9ers 4 seasons(Only stint as head coach):
Yards: 24th

Improved dramatically after Nolan left

Denver 1 season:
Yards: 7th

Miami 2 seasons:
Yards: 11th

Stayed the same in point against, but regressed in yards allowed once Nolan left.

Atlanta 3 seasons:
Yards: 28th

Improved dramatically once Nolan left

Average finish in yards: 17.5th best
Average finish in points: 16th best (2 finishes in the top 5, 5 finishes in the bottom 5)

Remember a few things:
1. We don't make excuses for current and past coaches ever. It's always their fault when it comes to performance.
2. Nobody has any clue the talent he had around him- good, bad, or indifferent.
3. Saying "couldn't be worse than X" is an ignorant statement.
4. On the forum Richard was the second coming of Christ

There once was a chef shared by many kings. He would move about from kingdom to kingdom, to make food, well, fit for a king. The problem this chef was faced with at each and every province he visited, was finding the ingredients necessary to making his extravagant culinary masterpieces.

Though he would never admit it to any of the kings he entertained with feats of food and festivity, at times, he had to sacrifice quality and subsequently taste, when certain ingredients did not make themselves available. At these times, creativity was necessary to fill in the gaps, and while it did not always (if ever) meet his high standards, his guest, at the very least, were always entertained.

As one can probably imagine, his ability to negotiate these various cookery obstacles expanded with time. At each kitchen he graced with his presence, an exchange of information invariably ensued and so upon is exit he left feeling as though he was an even better chef for having had the experience.

For 50 years, this chef traveled from place to place and from king to king….growing his recipe book to legendary status.

And then the Dallas Cowboys hired him.

The End

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There once was a chef shared by many kings. He would move about from kingdom to kingdom, to make food, well, fit for a king. The problem this chef was faced with at each and every province he visited, was finding the ingredients necessary to making his extravagant culinary masterpieces.

Though he would never admit it to any of the kings he entertained with feats of food and festivity, at times, he had to sacrifice quality and subsequently taste, when certain ingredients did not make themselves available. At these times, creativity was necessary to fill in the gaps, and while it did not always (if ever) meet his high standards, his guest, at the very least, were always entertained.

As one can probably imagine, his ability to negotiate these various cookery obstacles expanded with time. At each kitchen he graced with his presence, an exchange of information invariably ensued and so upon is exit he left feeling as though he was an even better chef for having had the experience.

For 50 years, this chef traveled from place to place and from king to king….growing his recipe book to legendary status.

And then the Dallas Cowboys hired him.

The End
so, what's for dinner? :rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the hire that didn't thrill me for the same reason Richard didn't, his previous job. Nolan's resume is among the lengthiest in the league and the last two stops were as LBC. That doesn't mean he can't coach the D to it's potential but exactly what is that?

However, coaches with reps for D, like Buddy Ryan, Marvin Lewis and Monte Kiffin, were never able to come close to recreating what put them on the map in CHI, BAL and TB and Kiffin even tried to help save his son's job. I think they're good D coaches but they never had the talent again.

D coaches either coach up the talent they've got or they coach to cover up for the lack of it. The Cowboys haven't had a top 10 D talent team in a long time. The DC's that have been there have tried to cover for that lack of talent. That can work situationally but it can't be consistent.

The Cowboys D is why I think they're still in that 8-8, 9-7 area. Both coaching and talent wise.

Dre11

Reaction score
I just know that here in Washington, they couldnt run him out fast enough

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This is the hire that didn't thrill me for the same reason Richard didn't, his previous job. Nolan's resume is among the lengthiest in the league and the last two stops were as LBC. That doesn't mean he can't coach the D to it's potential but exactly what is that?

However, coaches with reps for D, like Buddy Ryan, Marvin Lewis and Monte Kiffin, were never able to come close to recreating what put them on the map in CHI, BAL and TB and Kiffin even tried to help save his son's job. I think they're good D coaches but they never had the talent again.

D coaches either coach up the talent they've got or they coach to cover up for the lack of it. The Cowboys haven't had a top 10 D talent team in a long time. The DC's that have been there have tried to cover for that lack of talent. That can work situationally but it can't be consistent.

The Cowboys D is why I think they're still in that 8-8, 9-7 area. Both coaching and talent wise.

#KRichard has a better resume than Nolan, based on recent history.

while Nolan was being fired from his last DC job, KR was building the #LegionOfBoom and winning a Ring.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Big_D

Reaction score
I honestly don't care. Marinelli and Garrett were a joke. I feel the collective group here will be much better for this team. Including Nolan. They went out and brought in 2 DTs drafted a good one, a severely ignored position. so we'll see how that effects things. But I really don't see them being any more pathetic than they've been.

Silly

Reaction score
All he really needs to do is improve the line and create more turnovers. That alone will help the cowboys win more games.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well sure because you have to see how it plays out before you know for sure. Right now I see stats based on yardage his past defense gave up? to me yardage is not one of the main things I look at when I watch a defense. Points allowed, turnover play a bigger role in my view.

that sounds like BBDB.

JBS

Reaction score
I think the best place for you guys to get clues is the Saints defense. I know Nolan wasn't the DC there, but the way they ran their defense is very similar to the things we have heard about how things will be in Dallas this year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And you thought you were coy by not mentioning him in the first place. And then exposed your true purpose at the first opportunity.

Good try though.

Didn't get brought any other time either.

Lame attempt by you I got to say. Not even a good try.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the best place for you guys to get clues is the Saints defense. I know Nolan wasn't the DC there, but the way they ran their defense is very similar to the things we have heard about how things will be in Dallas this year.

you could check out the 2012-2014 Falcons.

Status
Not open for further replies.