Mike Nolan Stats by Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

conner01

Reaction score
McCarthy and Nolan have never been on the same coaching staff. Not once. This is without a doubt a Jones hire.

It should mean something to you, past performance is the best indicator of future performance. Way better than hoping and praying.
That’s not actually true
They have worked together
But many guys hire guys they haven’t worked with either way

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NYG 4 seasons:
Average NFL ranking in yards allowed: 12th best
Average points allowed: 8th

Wash 3 seasons:
Yards: 24th

Improved dramatically once Nolan left

NYJ 1 season:
Yards: 10th

Baltimore 3 seasons:

Went on the be the dominant Balt defense we knew in the mid-2000's after Nolan left

SF9ers 4 seasons(Only stint as head coach):

Improved dramatically after Nolan left

Denver 1 season:
Yards: 7th

Miami 2 seasons:
Yards: 11th

Stayed the same in point against, but regressed in yards allowed once Nolan left.

Atlanta 3 seasons:
Yards: 28th

Average finish in yards: 17.5th best
Average finish in points: 16th best (2 finishes in the top 5, 5 finishes in the bottom 5)

Remember a few things:
1. We don't make excuses for current and past coaches ever. It's always their fault when it comes to performance.
2. Nobody has any clue the talent he had around him- good, bad, or indifferent.
3. Saying "couldn't be worse than X" is an ignorant statement.
4. On the forum Richard was the second coming of Christ

Before you answer, beware that any name calling or language forbidden on this site will be reported this time.

Where did the Vikings rank with George Edwards as DC?

2017 #1 and #1

Where the defenses rank that had both Nolan and Edwards together?

Sydla

Reaction score
Some DVOA rankings (better measure of defense) https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense:

Baltimore

2001 (before Nolan) #5
2002 (enter Nolan) #9
2003 #1
2004 #3
2005 (after Nolan) #6

Denver

2008 (before Nolan) #32
2009 (enter Nolan) #10
2010 (after Nolan) #30

Miami

2009 (before Nolan) #16
2010 (enter Nolan) #7
2011 #10
2012 (after Nolan) #17

Atlanta
2011 (before Nolan) #4
2012 (enter Nolan) #14
2013 #30
2014 #31
2015 (after Nolan) #22

Kind of all over the map, frankly. But certainly not a track record of mediocre to terrible. He had some good defenses in there. Atlanta really sinks him as that was not a good run.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
exactly. let the head coach decide on his staff and then hold him accountable/responsible. if the current defense hold as they have...the offense improves, the key thing would be situational coaching, making the critical calls, and calling the right plays in critical situations that would make the difference. we don't need a top 10, top 5 dominant defense. KC won it with the 14th best defense. The defense does need to make plays and make key stops, I am not dismissing that. You can't put the onus totally on one side of the ball and expect to win championships.....but last year we lost a few games due to poor coaching....that alone hopefully will be the difference maker....

I agree. My comments are not an approval or disapproval in Nolan. McCarthy hired him to coach the defense and I will judge the job Nolan does in Dallas nor pre judge him based on any other stops.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
NYG 4 seasons:
Average NFL ranking in yards allowed: 12th best
Average points allowed: 8th

Wash 3 seasons:

NYJ 1 season:

Baltimore 3 seasons:

Went on the be the dominant Balt defense we knew in the mid-2000's after Nolan left

SF9ers 4 seasons(Only stint as head coach):

Improved dramatically after Nolan left

Denver 1 season:

Miami 2 seasons:

Stayed the same in point against, but regressed in yards allowed once Nolan left.

Atlanta 3 seasons:
Yards: 28th

Average finish in yards: 17.5th best
Average finish in points: 16th best (2 finishes in the top 5, 5 finishes in the bottom 5)

Remember a few things:
1. We don't make excuses for current and past coaches ever. It's always their fault when it comes to performance.
2. Nobody has any clue the talent he had around him- good, bad, or indifferent.
3. Saying "couldn't be worse than X" is an ignorant statement.
4. On the forum Richard was the second coming of Christ

Thanks for posting this. Nolan is a legacy guy and we know how they are treated in this league. Like bad pennies they keep turning up. His record is not good by any measure. Here is what I hope...

He did a good job in NO and was under Dennis Allen. I think Allen is one of the best so maybe he learned something.

George Edwards is here. Edwards was under Zimmer, also one of the best. I think Edwards was brought in to help with a 4-3 configuration.

Marinelli and his staff were terrible. Bloom was an atrocity of a LB coach. Richard is all talk. It was a terrible group.

This coaching staff has a LOT of experience. Big Mike knows how to win. The defense will be better but I bet the leash with Nolan is short.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I'm not a big Nolan guy. I have little confidence he can produce a great defense in his time here.

He's having his you're not Marinelli honeymoon period but the Mike Nolan sucks threads are right around the corner.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I'm not a big Nolan guy. I have little confidence he can produce a great defense in his time here.

He's having his you're not Marinelli honeymoon period but the Mike Nolan sucks threads are right around the corner.

G.R.O.N. movement and signatures in the near future.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Are we cool with this? Is that what we would prefer?

So Marinelli’s defenses were overall pretty good at bend but don’t break.

For whatever reason they struggled mightily at forcing turnovers in Dallas. Marinelli’s defenses weee much better at it in previous stops. So it’s curious to know why that wasn’t the case in Dallas. If it was due to the personnel, or perhaps changes in the game and the way offenses chose to attack his system. Some big time misses on pass rushers like Gregory, and Taco didn’t help either.

Ultimately, I think the strategy could be more effective. Our offense is generally good at scoring and not committing a lot of turnovers.

if the defense can force close a number of
Turnovers close to top 10 in the league. The cowboys can win the turnover battle in a large portion of games. This would lead to I think, more wins over 16 games, than giving up a bit less points but not forcing any turnovers.

Our offense was excellent at scoring given how PUTRID their starting field position was last season. If they can get 2-3 short fields per game due to turnovers and some special teams plays. Outscoring other teams shouldn’t be a problem.

I think ultimately turnover ratio and passing efficiency are the two biggest factors in nfl teams winning games nowadays. We can win both of those with Our passing attack and a defense that is forcing a solid amount of turnovers.

At least that’s my hope man.

We shall see if that comes to pass.

Last edited:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The defense has me worried but moreso because of the personnel and not the coaching

Al Harris seems like he is going to encourage the backs to turn their head around and play the ball, which is something we havent seen here since Wade.

Nolan was great with the linebackers in N.O.

Tomsula coached some really good defensive lines in SF

But do they have the talent at these position groups to succeed?

On another note, who would yall say you wanted as DC instead of Nolan?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think when it came to the staff Jerry and Stephen both came out and said it would be McCarthy picks on who would be on his staff.

In terms of the draft I think like every team there is approach that involved a lot of people including the HC but not HC alone. McCary is a big part of it and working with the HC on what their plans our factors into that. These are not McCarthy picks nor McCray picks these are Cowboys picks meaning a lot of people are involved in the draft.
I'm not buying that. The coaching staff yes. I think even Jason Garrett got too hire his own staff. So I believe that's all McCarthy. Jerry and Stephen not giving up power of the draft.

I'll even go as far as saying Tomsula/McCarthy is why we finally addressed defensive tackle. I can see that.

BigD_95

Reaction score
[QUOTE="
NYJ 1 season:

Baltimore 3 seasons:

Denver 1 season:

Miami 2 seasons:
[/QUOTE]

I have no issues with any of the above. We hit this mark we will be fine. Nolan loves to blitz more and Im happy about that.

Numbers and stats do not always tell the story. Marenilli defense by the numbers looked ok but we could never stop teams late. Had trouble against the run. His bend and break crap worked against the lower end teams but the better teams picked us apart specially late in games. When Marenilli would blitz he usually would not even hide it.

Sorry Im happy Nolan is here. I will take his style of defense any day - plus his style gets more turnovers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not buying that. The coaching staff yes. I think even Jason Garrett got too hire his own staff. So I believe that's all McCarthy. Jerry and Stephen not giving up power of the draft.

I'll even go as far as saying Tomsula/McCarthy is why we finally addressed defensive tackle. I can see that.

Stephen and Jerry rely a lot on the work of McCray and his staff of scouts and McCray like any personnel man is going to talk with HC on players. The draft is never 1 person it is a lot of people involved putting together the draft boards, running their own mock drafts, interviewing players. Jerry and Stephen are a part of it they are not the whole of it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The results to come for this defense will surely be the result of more influence than just Mike Nolan. MM and Tomsula will have their say as well. If they should decide Nolan's contributions have been insufficient, it'll be up to them to decide if he's at fault and what's to be done. I'll take that. :cool:

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry rely a lot on the work of McCray and his staff of scouts and McCray like any personnel man is going to talk with HC on players. The draft is never 1 person it is a lot of people involved putting together the draft boards, running their own mock drafts, interviewing players. Jerry and Stephen are a part of it they are not the whole of it.

Who's McCray?

Status
Not open for further replies.