Mike Tomlin...fined 100k

Nirvana

Reaction score
The heaviest fine is Tomlin's legacy and reputation. Will never live this one down.

Nirvana

Reaction score
With the way the language is set up (waiting until end of season before a decision on draft picks are considered) it also sets up Tomlin to be the fall guy at the end of the season. He is toast. It can be looked upon as a draft pick saving maneuver, distancing themselves from the incident.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I really think people are overreacting (I think the fine is perfect punishment). If the Ravens had lost though...

Wait, did the Ravens not score on that drive? I didn't watch the game so I don't know.

My point is Tomlin has always been a stand up guy, I don't buy that whole "One 'oh crap' can wipe out a thousand 'atta boys'".

I'm sure there's plenty of people overreacting JUST IN THIS THREAD that have done much worse and didn't get any punishment for it. I know I've done worse.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
This is just another thing the steelers have done that will get swept under the rug, and the media perception will continue to be "what a class, top notch organization they are."

They are like 3rd in the NFL for arrests since 2009 or something.
Santonio Holmes - multiple arrests
Mike Logan
Matt Spaeth
Reed the punter multiple times
Chris Rainey
Alamedas Ta'amu - rookie that had close to 20 counts against him when he was arrested
James Harrison - plus he was cut 3 times prior to becoming Defensive player of the year, ... can you say steriods
Then you have a steeler icon arrested, Hines Ward

The face of the franchise is a serial rapist.

Even their mascot, Steely McBeam was arrested

Now Tomin pulls this crap.

More to be swept under the rug of illusion that the steelers are a class organization.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I really think people are overreacting (I think the fine is perfect punishment). If the Ravens had lost though...

Wait, did the Ravens not score on that drive? I didn't watch the game so I don't know.

My point is Tomlin has always been a stand up guy, I don't buy that whole "One 'oh crap' can wipe out a thousand 'atta boys'".

I'm sure there's plenty of people overreacting JUST IN THIS THREAD that have done much worse and didn't get any punishment for it. I know I've done worse.

I agree that this one act doesn't wipe out everything else. I don't agree that the fine itself is a perfect punishment. It goes back to the coaches should be held to a higher standard.

aikemirv

Reaction score
All I have to say is that the NFL should fine themselves for interfering with the integrity of the game after calling the running back down when his helmet came off in the middle of falling down over the goal line.

That is a bigger disgrace by far than Tomlin!

joseephuss

Reaction score
I agree with the amount of the fine, but I think it's nonsense to have to wait until the draft order is established before a decision can be made if a draft pick will be penalized. Give me a break, does it really matter if the Steelers pick 15th or 10th or 20th in each round? It looks more like a "wait and see what public perception is after some time has passed" type of maneuver.

For the record I think the fine is enough and no draft picks need to be taken. That's pretty harsh.

Most likely it isn't going to be a first round pick or even a high draft pick.

I can understand waiting to see the draft order to determine the penalty. I think it does make a difference on just how high they are drafting in any one round. Would you rather pick at the top of the 4th round or at the bottom of the 4th round? Perhaps the NFL would see taking a late 4th round pick as not harsh enough and would instead take away a late 3rd rounder. Or maybe they will think taking an early 4th rounder as just right.

All signs point to the league making sure the Steelers win the SB and therefore end up with the last pick in each round.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
This is just another thing the steelers have done that will get swept under the rug, and the media perception will continue to be "what a class, top notch organization they are."

They are like 3rd in the NFL for arrests since 2009 or something.
Santonio Holmes - multiple arrests
Mike Logan
Matt Spaeth
Reed the punter multiple times
Chris Rainey
Alamedas Ta'amu - rookie that had close to 20 counts against him when he was arrested
James Harrison - plus he was cut 3 times prior to becoming Defensive player of the year, ... can you say steriods
Then you have a steeler icon arrested, Hines Ward

The face of the franchise is a serial rapist.

Even their mascot, Steely McBeam was arrested

Now Tomin pulls this crap.

More to be swept under the rug of illusion that the steelers are a class organization.

Add this to my previous post:

Steelers coach accused of defacing rental home

If all of this stuff was going on with a certain team in Texas, you now ESPN would never let it die.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steeler...-of-defacing-rental-home/stories/201310080022

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Gotta agree here -- Tomlin handled this well. I totally buy that he lost sight of where he was on the field. How he has handled this is what is going to maintain his legacy.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score

Fine, tell that to the spouse that finds out her/his spouse cheated after 7 good years. Sometimes an apology or "I'm sorry" just doesn't get it.

Tomlin is what he is, and right now he looks bad.

Integrity, reputation, character, ... all take a long time to establish, .. but only one bad decision to destroy.

dstovall5

Reaction score
I still respect Tomlin, this doesn't change my opinion of him one bit. If you ask me, what BB did in New England is much worse and his reputation hasn't suffered one bit. So why should Tomlin's ?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Fine, tell that to the spouse that finds out her/his spouse cheated after 7 good years. Sometimes an apology or "I'm sorry" just doesn't get it.

Integrity, reputation, character, ... all take a long time to establish, .. but only one bad decision to destroy.

Wow. Not even close to being the same thing. lmao

joseephuss

Reaction score

There have been situations as you described where "I'm sorry" was enough and the couples went on and were happy.

visionary

Reaction score
Gotta agree here -- Tomlin handled this well. I totally buy that he lost sight of where he was on the field. How he has handled this is what is going to maintain his legacy.

I would normally have bought that too but his close up right after it happened tells a different story

So I ain't buying

burmafrd

Reaction score
Good. How there wasn't a flag at the time is still beyond me.

Sad thing is that those officials are just the tip of the iceberg. They need to revamp the whole official system. We need younger faster guys that actually have good eyesight and the integrity to call them as they see them not caring who it is. Right now we have old, biased and squinty eyed jokes.