Mike Tomlin minces no words Dallas take cue

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we need to get to the point where we are good vs good qbs. The goal is to win big games. Those are vs good qbs.
Oh I agree. I’d love that. But it’s baby steps. I don’t expect us to go from the worst in the league to stopping a team like the Buccs first game of the season…..

lk8701

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin won his first game yet he was telling his team they have to get better. In all phases of the game. Learning to get better is going to be a must, he said. Dallas coaches. We looked good. I see good things out there??? WHAT???? That's why we need a hardnosed no non sense head coach like Tomlin. I for one don't think Big Mac Mike was a good coach pickup for our team. And speaking of Mike just as I asked about Garrett when he was here. "Can somebody tell me exactly what is Mike's job. What does he do to help the team out? He's not a defensive coordinator for sure. We have Moore running the offense. So what does Mike do?? Serious Question. I mean put Moore at head coach what do we miss????

To the GM:facepalm: Why does he keep taking chances on questionable type character players? Boss man IMO is one of them. The guy seems to want to be a rapper more then a corner. Reminds me of the Lakers former player Kyle Kuzma. Has talent but the head is more focused on being a trend setter rapper type more then basketball. I'll give Boss man another season to prove he's not like this but the rope will be short if I were the GM.

Still wish we would of gotten one of those pot bellied defensive linemen. I'm talking 340 plus. I was watching different games Sunday and when teams did try to run. Those big suckers shut the run down. We saw what Veda did for the Bucks. He basically threw Conner around in those key situation like a bag of stale chips. And I was watching Quinn yesterday and he said it wasn't Browns fault on the one long TD pass. He said a guy fell down and the safety went to check his man when he should of been helping deep. Quinn laughed and said the lesson learned here is I shouldn't had called the play there. I said to myself. These coaches are killing us more then the opponents. It's just the first game but i think Mike needs to get tougher with this team. No more smashing watermelons . How about heads and arses. At least Quinn said " there were no moral victories Thursday". But all things being equal I like Quinn. Seems like a great guy. Hope he turns us into a great defense.

I remember Parcells was like Tomlin after wins. Making the playoffs with Quincy Carter as the QB was a miracle.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not realistic to think that in a given game everything will be completely right or everything will be completely wrong, nor do I see that it makes sense to send the message that everything was wrong. To improve the focus needs to be on what is actually wrong. H

Besides, how do you get them to do things right if you don't acknowledge and reinforce when they do things right? Part of teaching and learning is people knowing when they do things the way you want and expect.
Message should be we.dismsomethings well, but not enough to win because we made.mistakes that coat us the game and we have to fix those if we expect tomyavw a successful season. No need to protect feelings of professional.athletes...or any professional for that matter....they need to put on their big boy pants

JBS

Reaction score
Oh I agree. I’d love that. But it’s baby steps. I don’t expect us to go from the worst in the league to stopping a team like the Buccs first game of the season…..

I hear ya, but the talent on defense isn’t good. So it’s not going to be fixed this season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hear ya, but the talent on defense isn’t good. So it’s not going to be fixed this season.
No…it’s not. But the defense will get better the more familiar they get. Even last years crappy defense eventually got better. Went from last in turnovers to top 10 by leagues end.

It’s going to be a struggle for sure. I just need them to get off the field on 3rd down and generate turnovers…..do that? We should make the playoffs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Message should be we.dismsomethings well, but not enough to win because we made.mistakes that coat us the game and we have to fix those if we expect tomyavw a successful season. No need to protect feelings of professional.athletes...or any professional for that matter....they need to put on their big boy pants
You said before the coaches shouldn't say we did some good things. In any case, this comment just fits with what I said about how it's presented, and that it's okay to acknowledge that the team did some things well as long as there is emphasis on the fact other areas hurt the team and need to be fixed.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
every team takes chances on questionable guys. Just have to minimize the risk and be willing to cut your losses at a moments notice.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin won his first game yet he was telling his team they have to get better. In all phases of the game. Learning to get better is going to be a must, he said. Dallas coaches. We looked good. I see good things out there??? WHAT???? That's why we need a hardnosed no non sense head coach like Tomlin. I for one don't think Big Mac Mike was a good coach pickup for our team. And speaking of Mike just as I asked about Garrett when he was here. "Can somebody tell me exactly what is Mike's job. What does he do to help the team out? He's not a defensive coordinator for sure. We have Moore running the offense. So what does Mike do?? Serious Question. I mean put Moore at head coach what do we miss????

To the GM:facepalm: Why does he keep taking chances on questionable type character players? Boss man IMO is one of them. The guy seems to want to be a rapper more then a corner. Reminds me of the Lakers former player Kyle Kuzma. Has talent but the head is more focused on being a trend setter rapper type more then basketball. I'll give Boss man another season to prove he's not like this but the rope will be short if I were the GM.

Still wish we would of gotten one of those pot bellied defensive linemen. I'm talking 340 plus. I was watching different games Sunday and when teams did try to run. Those big suckers shut the run down. We saw what Veda did for the Bucks. He basically threw Conner around in those key situation like a bag of stale chips. And I was watching Quinn yesterday and he said it wasn't Browns fault on the one long TD pass. He said a guy fell down and the safety went to check his man when he should of been helping deep. Quinn laughed and said the lesson learned here is I shouldn't had called the play there. I said to myself. These coaches are killing us more then the opponents. It's just the first game but i think Mike needs to get tougher with this team. No more smashing watermelons . How about heads and arses. At least Quinn said " there were no moral victories Thursday". But all things being equal I like Quinn. Seems like a great guy. Hope he turns us into a great defense.

if he yells louder, they will try harder. If he gets in Big Bens face, Ben will automatically have his completion % go up 10 pts. If he takes a swing at the right tackle, that will ensure Ben doesnt get sacked.

Thast how it is done... Big Mike should pay closer attention.....smh

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Tampa Bay loss is tough to analyze for me, since a loss is a loss.

But I think the entire football world expected the Bucs to roll to a 41-17 win or something like that. The Cowboys still lost, but in the meantime they gained some respect. Had they done a couple things better; had they one or two fewer penalties, etc., etc., etc., it would have been different, but that's football.

I'm normally not into moral victories, but the Cowboys showed me enough in week one to be optimistic. Will they face a better all-around team all season? If not, then this team can easily surpass ten wins. They just need to stop making crucial mistakes at the worst of times, which seems to be a recurring theme unfortunately.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It’s no different than the fans on this board. They think Dallas played well week 1. Depending on what you expected, they may have surpassed expectations, but they didn’t exactly play well. They had no business really being in a position to win the game and they still blew it.
They also thought Garrett Gilbert played well last year because he wasn’t as horrible as they thought he would be.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
It’s no different than the fans on this board. They think Dallas played well week 1. Depending on what you expected, they may have surpassed expectations, but they didn’t exactly play well. They had no business really being in a position to win the game and they still blew it.

I agree 100 percent. But for the Cowboys to play poorly and still only lose by two points to the defending champions at least raises hopes they will be a better team than last year.

Again, this could be a loser mentality- trying to find the silver linings in a loss. But nobody expected Dallas to challenge Tampa Bay like they did. But like you said- they still blew a game they should have won, whether it was the Buccaneers or anybody.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
if he yells louder, they will try harder. If he gets in Big Bens face, Ben will automatically have his completion % go up 10 pts. If he takes a swing at the right tackle, that will ensure Ben doesnt get sacked.

Thast how it is done... Big Mike should pay closer attention.....smh

All I have to say is two screamers. Big Tuna and Jimmy Johnson. Team feared and respected. Players came to play and knew there were no moral victories. Jimmy basically 3 Super Bowls. What have your choirboy coaches done in the last 25????? But truth doesn't matter anymore....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas was out played in every statistical category imaginable outside of turnovers. Godwin doesn’t fumble inside the 5 and Dallas never sniffs a chance at winning. They were thoroughly outplayed in the red zone as well. It wasn’t as close as it looked. Even when tb gave them the game on a silver platter, Dallas managed to screw it up.
That's not even close to right. Aside from getting more turnovers, Dallas also had more 1st downs, more total yards, better 3rd down % and greater time of possession.

On top of that, Godwin didn't just fumble by happenstance, the fumble was forced by the Dallas defense, so how does it make sense that you are treating that as a negative for Dallas?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
All I have to say is two screamers. Big Tuna and Jimmy Johnson. Team feared and respected. Players came to play and knew there were no moral victories. Jimmy basically 3 Super Bowls. What have your choirboy coaches done in the last 25????? But truth doesn't matter anymore....
Joe Gibbs, Tom Landry, Andy Reid....... Im a yeller as a coach, but coaches are who they are. Beign Jimmy isnt the only way.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Joe Gibbs, Tom Landry, Andy Reid....... Im a yeller as a coach, but coaches are who they are. Beign Jimmy isnt the only way.

In Dallas it got us 2. Really 3 Super Bowls. I count Aikman cause he and the rest of the players did the hollering once Jimmy was gone. So what has non screaming Puppets done for you the last 25???:facepalm:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
In Dallas it got us 2. Really 3 Super Bowls. I count Aikman cause he and the rest of the players did the hollering once Jimmy was gone. So what has non screaming Puppets done for you the last 25???:facepalm:
yawn