Mike Tomlin minces no words Dallas take cue

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if coaches say we did some good things, then they are telling the team its ok to lose.....and they are just defending themselves and not owning up to what they are supposed to do....
I think it depends on how it's presented. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging and reinforcing the things you do right as long as you also emphasize and reinforce what the team does wrong and needs to improve on.

JustChip

Reaction score
Agree when Bones said that he called the coverage plays to kick in bounds - to get a fumble and end the game. LOLLL when have we expected our ST to close out a game like that - knowingly admitting a lot of our ST played defense and were gassed he said HE got too competitive. I’m starting to not like Bones and his pull with MM
Yeah, but that’s “playing to win the game” of which many on here are all for. To me, circumstances dictate when to take risks. That was a poor risk given that the KO coverage had been weak up to that point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think it depends on how it's presented. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging and reinforcing the things you do right as long as you also emphasize and reinforce what the team does wrong and needs to improve on.
I would rather here, that we expect to do things right, not that we did something right....and that we weren't good enough to win and we have to fix that...good plays are to be expected. wins are to be expected. not that we did some good things, meaning we also did bad things, but I don't want to focus on those.....slight shift over the line and change of mentality....expecting to lose, vs. expecting to win (vs. wanting to win, as everyone wants to win and I am sure every cowboys player wants to win)

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of Mike's but this is a silly thing to call him out on. There are far more egregious and important aspects of his game management and decision making that he should have been fired for already but this is silly.

JBS

Reaction score
Maybe. But I can only judge THIS team. This team is not even the same as last years team so why would I prejudge them based on past errors?

so we don’t have enough evidence to suggest this defense is below average?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m not following. are you suggesting tb didn’t settle for a fg to win the game? are you serious?

I wouldn't consider it "settling". Penalties pushed them back. I think the intent was to score and use some clock but when you get stuck with 4th down you wanted them to go for it?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yah that would have been great. Real genius stuff there. That kinda went out the window on Williams holding call.

Or the defense could have just stopped Brady.
Exactly...it was 3rd and 16 because of that holding call. At that point the hope WAS to at least get a field goal we screwed our chances of scoring thanks to that holding.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
So....when we come here it should always be with skirts and poms?

Not okay to speak of errors. Mistakes. Any form of criticism.

What's the red line and who decides?
If you can’t comprehend what I’m talking about, then I don’t know what to tell you. Criticism is absolutely OK. Continuous blind hatred of every single move the organization makes is different altogether. If you’ve been on here for any time, you should know the difference.

JBS

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider it "settling". Penalties pushed them back. I think the intent was to score and use some clock but when you get stuck with 4th down you wanted them to go for it?

I’m talking about tb not Dallas.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
so we don’t have enough evidence to suggest this defense is below average?

They literally have had 3 DC's the past 3 years but you're telling me that because they sucked last year means they should suck this year? Despite them adding pieces like Micah Parsons? Its not the same defense. Will they suck? Odds are probably they are. But its not the same defense is last year.

JBS

Reaction score
They literally have had 3 DC's the past 3 years but you're telling me that because they sucked last year means they should suck this year? Despite them adding pieces like Micah Parsons? Its not the same defense. Will they suck? Odds are probably they are. But its not the same defense is last year.

lolol. Ok man. If you say so.

JBS

Reaction score
Oh wait...I'm misunderstanding your point. So you're saying the Buccs are the ones that settled for a FG?
Yes, the last fg to win the game. They didn’t need a td.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would rather here, that we expect to do things right, not that we did something right....and that we weren't good enough to win and we have to fix that...good plays are to be expected. wins are to be expected. not that we did some good things, meaning we also did bad things, but I don't want to focus on those.....slight shift over the line and change of mentality....expecting to lose, vs. expecting to win (vs. wanting to win, as everyone wants to win and I am sure every cowboys player wants to win)

It's not realistic to think that in a given game everything will be completely right or everything will be completely wrong, nor do I see that it makes sense to send the message that everything was wrong. To improve the focus needs to be on what is actually wrong. H

Besides, how do you get them to do things right if you don't acknowledge and reinforce when they do things right? Part of teaching and learning is people knowing when they do things the way you want and expect.