Mike Vrabel as our next DC?

DillusionalFans

Reaction score
Opinions? Yay? Nay? I know Joe Whitt is the first name people are thinking of if Al Harris follows Quinn as he said he would. But I'm wondering if there's any interest in Vrabel.
Why would Vabrel take the Dallas DC job? If Jerry promised him to succeed MM as HC in 2025, maybe but I’m sure DQ was promised that also and see how that worked out. Vabrel can always get a DC job so why not sit out this year (since he’s still getting paid) and get one of the 8 HC jobs that will open up next year? WRT DQ, perhaps he knows that with JJ as GM and Dak at QB, Dallas has little chance to go to the SB.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Vrabel - Saquon Barkley - DT signed - OG signed - Dak NOT extended - Draft qb round 1 .

Perfect off season

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why would Vabrel take the Dallas DC job? If Jerry promised him to succeed MM as HC in 2025, maybe but I’m sure DQ was promised that also and see how that worked out. Vabrel can always get a DC job so why not sit out this year (since he’s still getting paid) and get one of the 8 HC jobs that will open up next year? WRT DQ, perhaps he knows that with JJ as GM and Dak at QB, Dallas has little chance to go to the SB.
What do you mean we see how that worked out literally the job hasn't come open yet if Dan Quinn wanted to wait till Mike McCarthy was gone he may have got the job the fact is he didn't and now he's gone you have to have a job opening before you're offered the job therefore it would make sense that being this is the last year of Mike McCarthy's contract that if Vrabel was brought in it would be easy to assume he would get the next head coaching job if that's what he was promised because Mike McCarthy's only getting one more year.... For fans why does this matter so much so Mike McCarthy has another successful season, maybe does what he supposed to do to keep his job and vrabel doesn't get the head coaching job because the opening never came up, why does that matter because all we want is whoever is the head coach whoever is the defensive coordinator, they do their job and we're successful.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Vrabel would be a one year loaner. He'll get a HC position next year and will likely be interviewing during the playoffs.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Same as alot of people, Vrabel 1st. Or Rivera 2nd.
Some people are better coordinators than head Coaches.
Rivera, Quinn etc.
Only reason Vrabel would/may want to come here, would be the opportunity to follow McCarthy, and the high profile of the job.

basel90

Reaction score
Opinions? Yay? Nay? I know Joe Whitt is the first name people are thinking of if Al Harris follows Quinn as he said he would. But I'm wondering if there's any interest in Vrabel.
yes Vrabel is much better option than the others being discussed ( Aden or Harris , both produced weak results when it mattered and got exposed)
ZImmer would be a solid option .
I feel Vrabel will be a bit threat for MM . So probably jerry will not push that button.

Rowdy1

Reaction score
Absolutely, bring that man to Dallas. Vrabel would be great pickup!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Vrabel may be holding out a year. Because if he wanted to come to Dallas there’s a better than decent chance the HC position will be open in 2025.

If, i see a lot of posters still dont get it. Who wants to work with Jerry? Even the Lions pulled themselves up, while we are still stuck in quicksand.

Other than a paycheck, what does Dallas offer for a coach? They have to deal with both Stephen and Jerry. Whats the incentive?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If, i see a lot of posters still dont get it. Who wants to work with Jerry? Even the Lions pulled themselves up, while we are still stuck in quicksand.

Other than a paycheck, what does Dallas offer for a coach? They have to deal with both Stephen and Jerry. Whats the incentive?
As frustrated as I am with the Jones leadership situation - their micro-management, their lack of personal accountability for their failures, and bottom line, their lack of results in the playoffs…there are some reasons why some coaches choose to work here:
  • The history - long before anyone had heard of Jerry Jones, the Cowboys were a storied franchise. The history of this brand is a big attraction.
  • The fan base - think about the incredible loyalty of this fan base still showing up at that shopping mall of a stadium despite the owner making himself the centerpiece and face of the franchise.
  • The facilities - especially at the Star. The practice and training facilities are state of the art.
  • The location- good weather, lower state taxes, football is religion in Texas.
Without the above bullets, especially the first, no coach in his right mind would probably choose to work in this circus.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
As much as I like Mike I don’t want to invest in a guy who is looking to move on every year.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Vrabel may be holding out a year. Because if he wanted to come to Dallas there’s a better than decent chance the HC position will be open in 2025.
sure, but if he came here as DC, he would be auditioning for Jerry and get the inside track on the HC job should MM get the axe... He would be at the top of Jerry's list. Numero Uno.. And at the top on other's list too actually along with BB.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
As frustrated as I am with the Jones leadership situation - their micro-management, their lack of personal accountability for their failures, and bottom line, their lack of results in the playoffs…there are some reasons why some coaches choose to work here:
  • The history - long before anyone had heard of Jerry Jones, the Cowboys were a storied franchise. The history of this brand is a big attraction.
  • The fan base - think about the incredible loyalty of this fan base still showing up at that shopping mall of a stadium despite the owner making himself the centerpiece and face of the franchise.
  • The facilities - especially at the Star. The practice and training facilities are state of the art.
  • The location- good weather, lower state taxes, football is religion in Texas.
Without the above bullets, especially the first, no coach in his right mind would probably choose to work in this circus.
The owner that is also the General Manager issue makes the Cowboys Head Coach job one of the least desirable in the NFL. Jerry Jones’ treatment of a highly regarded head coach (Johnson) is a permanent part of his reputation. That lack of grace toward a close friend and tremendous employee he cannot undo. Any potential head coach with options will not select Dallas. Vrabel will have options.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The owner that is also the General Manager issue makes the Cowboys Head Coach job one of the least desirable in the NFL. Jerry Jones’ treatment of a highly regarded head coach (Johnson) is a permanent part of his reputation. That lack of grace toward a close friend and tremendous employee he cannot undo. Any potential head coach with options will not select Dallas. Vrabel will have options.
No doubt. Pretty much agree.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
It would be a smart move IMO.
Great defensive mind, tough and expects his players to give 110%.
Also, as a former LB, probably understands we need real LBs on this team, lol.
Also, if MM struggles, having Vrabes on the staff would be smart (he could take over or be in a position next season, and if BB was brought in, there is that connection too).
I actually like Rivera too, as a DC, (not so much as a HC).
It makes too much sense, which is why the pessimist in me knows it’ll never happen.