Mike Zimmer, Anthony Barr and Micah Parsons

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Something to look at in a potential Mike Zimmer hire is his usage of Anthony Barr in Minnesota. In Minnesota, Zimmer used Barr primarily as a LB, but would put his hand in the dirt on some passing downs. There are some similarities in skill set between Parsons and a young Anthony Barr. Parsons was used in a similar way as a rookie, when he wasnt used as a full time DE (remember Parsons as a pass rusher was pretty much an accident)

If Zimmer is the hire, is there a chance we go back to using Parsons more as a LB on running downs. That would be my hope, as I don't see any point in playing him as a DE on running downs

Rayman70

Reaction score
Something to look at in a potential Mike Zimmer hire is his usage of Anthony Barr in Minnesota. In Minnesota, Zimmer used Barr primarily as a LB, but would put his hand in the dirt on some passing downs. There are some similarities in skill set between Parsons and a young Anthony Barr. Parsons was used in a similar way as a rookie, when he wasnt used as a full time DE (remember Parsons as a pass rusher was pretty much an accident)

If Zimmer is the hire, is there a chance we go back to using Parsons more as a LB on running downs. That would be my hope, as I don't see any point in playing him as a DE on running downs
well, whomever comes in here, we need a complete overhaul and mindset at linebacker. Quinn was too artsy fartsy at times and unwilling to adapt as he needed, late in the year. But a guy like Zimmer, even Rivera, would be insistent on having real linebackers in there.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well, whomever comes in here, we need a complete overhaul and mindset at linebacker. Quinn was too artsy fartsy at times and unwilling to adapt as he needed, late in the year. But a guy like Zimmer, even Rivera, would be insistent on having real linebackers in there.
In Quinns defense, he played what he was given at LB. FO bet poorly on LVE's health and didn't hedge that bet with a quality insurance policy. Overshown was never really an alternative as he is a different type of player, but they should have made a move when Overshown went down. All he had at that point where big S's

Majic

Reaction score
Ross Tucker refers to Micah as the best Edge in the game.
What are we doing here messing with him as an off the ball LB

I hope someone at the interviews points this out to the Jones' (Wink Martindale?)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I hope someone at the interviews points this out to the Jones' (Wink Martindale?)
Best edge rusher in the game. Not an edge run defender. The idea is to go back to how we used him as a rookie, playing as an edge on passing downs and as a LB on running downs

Rayman70

Reaction score
In Quinns defense, he played what he was given at LB. FO bet poorly on LVE's health and didn't hedge that bet with a quality insurance policy. Overshown was never really an alternative as he is a different type of player, but they should have made a move when Overshown went down. All he had at that point where big S's
counting on a rookie hybrid like Overshown was a mistake. He was up and down at Texas. I watched every game and he had games where he was atrocious. We need true linebacker, thumpers in there. Clark isn't the answer either. Like I said, the entire room needs an overhaul. I think Quinn had a big hand in it and what the Joneses did at linebacker.

quickccc

Reaction score

With Zimm seemingly preferring a 4-3 or 4 man front ..i'd expect a Hasson Reddick like LB/edge role for Parsons in a Zimm scheme.
Be hard to believe Zimm would try to make Micah a 70-80 % coverage LB. I'd want Parsons in a forward or lateral moving position, than
running up field with TEs with his back to the ball. you don't see Hasson or a Von Miller (in his prime) doing that

- And then what would be the roles of Overshown in a Zimm scheme ?

- And yes, I'm projecting a new early round rookie LB draftee into the mix as well. (FA will be for bargain backup vets)

- Zimm LBs to be: - Parson, Overshown and rookie gem LB,.. leave it to Zimm how he wants to scheme and employ them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You have two of your 3 starters already … a 3rd if LVE doesn’t retire.

Micah, Overshown, LVE
thats abysmal. LVE is oft injured, a train wreck, and Overshown is a unicorn at this point. Micah can be great at linebacker if he wants to be coached. If those are our starters we are in dire straits. Its not good enough.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You have two of your 3 starters already … a 3rd if LVE doesn’t retire.

Micah, Overshown, LVE
I don't care who they hire that will not be our starting lineup at linebacker they will get a linebacker in free agency and probably the draft stud middle linebacker will be needed.... Yes we can mix all those guys in above as rotational players and depth but I don't think they're getting rid of Clark anytime soon and over soon gonna take a while to come back from that injury and prove he can be an actual middle linebacker and I don't think he's big enough for that... So that leaves you for middle linebacker a giant hole and again if LVE and Clark stay they're gonna be depth but there's still gotta be some dudes added to this roster... Micah is an outside linebacker yes he's a linebacker but he's not the middle linebacker we need we need to find our new version either young or in free agency a guy like Bobby Wagner or Turner or green law I don't care who you bring in they need to be that type... MichaP l will forever be an outside linebacker slash defensive end outside linebackers rush the passer as well and they cover and they do what he's been doing but that's not what we're lacking here we're lacking that big instinctual green dot wearing linebacker.. They are not on this team right now

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Zimm seemingly preferring a 4-3 or 4 man front ..i'd expect a Hasson Reddick like LB/edge role for Parsons in a Zimm scheme.
Be hard to believe Zimm would try to make Micah a 70-80 % coverage LB. I'd want Parsons in a forward or lateral moving position, than
running up field with TEs with his back to the ball. you don't see Hasson or a Von Miller (in his prime) doing that

- And then what would be the roles of Overshown in a Zimm scheme ?

- And yes, I'm projecting a new early round rookie LB draftee into the mix as well. (FA will be for bargain backup vets)

- Zimm LBs to be: - Parson, Overshown and rookie gem LB,.. leave it to Zimm how he wants to scheme and employ them.
I expect them to sign a guy like Jewell at LB. Not expensive but will make an impact. You cant count on a rookie to be a "gem". Especially outside the top 30, where we are very unlikely to take one

Rayman70

Reaction score

TEAM DISCIPLINE. Yes he's talented but I am so tired of watching them lose contain.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't care who they hire that will not be our starting lineup at linebacker they will get a linebacker in free agency and probably the draft stud middle linebacker will be needed.... Yes we can mix all those guys in above as rotational players and depth but I don't think they're getting rid of Clark anytime soon and over soon gonna take a while to come back from that injury and prove he can be an actual middle linebacker and I don't think he's big enough for that... So that leaves you for middle linebacker a giant hole and again if LVE and Clark stay they're gonna be depth but there's still gotta be some dudes added to this roster... Micah is an outside linebacker yes he's a linebacker but he's not the middle linebacker we need we need to find our new version either young or in free agency a guy like Bobby Wagner or Turner or green law I don't care who you bring in they need to be that type... Michael will forever be an outside linebacker slash defensive end outside linebackers rush the passer as well and they cover and they do what he's been doing but that's not what we're lacking here we're lacking that big instinctual green dot wearing linebacker.. They are not on this team right now
this. Agree

chuck520

Reaction score
Why didnt they re-sign Barr? He was already here and he could have been some help.

Carson

Reaction score
thats abysmal. LVE is oft injured, a train wreck, and Overshown is a unicorn at this point. Micah can be great at linebacker if he wants to be coached. If those are our starters we are in dire straits. Its not good enough.
Yes.

This is pre free agency and pre draft.

Things will change.

But they have 3 capable guys so no need to panic in February

chuck520

Reaction score
I don't care who they hire that will not be our starting lineup at linebacker they will get a linebacker in free agency and probably the draft stud middle linebacker will be needed.... Yes we can mix all those guys in above as rotational players and depth but I don't think they're getting rid of Clark anytime soon and over soon gonna take a while to come back from that injury and prove he can be an actual middle linebacker and I don't think he's big enough for that... So that leaves you for middle linebacker a giant hole and again if LVE and Clark stay they're gonna be depth but there's still gotta be some dudes added to this roster... Micah is an outside linebacker yes he's a linebacker but he's not the middle linebacker we need we need to find our new version either young or in free agency a guy like Bobby Wagner or Turner or green law I don't care who you bring in they need to be that type... MichaP l will forever be an outside linebacker slash defensive end outside linebackers rush the passer as well and they cover and they do what he's been doing but that's not what we're lacking here we're lacking that big instinctual green dot wearing linebacker.. They are not on this team right now
Parsons can be a mike in certain plays , faking an A gap blitz or blitzing from the A gap. Zimmer runs that play.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I expect them to sign a guy like Jewell at LB. Not expensive but will make an impact. You cant count on a rookie to be a "gem". Especially outside the top 30, where we are very unlikely to take one
no you can't expect that but doesn't mean it can't happen but the fact is free agency comes first which is odd to me that they need to do something with the way they do the offseason... So they'll have to decide the top three free agent middle linebackers are they worth the price or will they count on the draft you can find great transcendent players anywhere in the 1st 3 rounds you could also be wrong and you could miss on them but they're there they're all over I don't think Fred Warner was taking what third round like seriously we got some gems in the second round in Trayvon diggs and tank and some others I know they say we don't pick well in the second round but if you can't get that guy at 28 I mean is he there I don't know but don't say you can't... I mean there are players all over the NFL that were taken in the last couple years late in the draft like pachenko, Purdy and even bland on our team...

I mean dude I mean you just have to find the right guy and hope he's there but that's why sometimes you have to reach if there's a second round grade on a really good linebacker but you don't feel he's gonna be there by the time you pick you have to take him similar to what we did with Mazi who for sure would have been better to take late in the second but they felt he might be gone and reached..

Hopefully when they find the right defensive coordinator they get in Jerry's ear and they'll figure out whether a crop of free agents or draft would be best for what positions...

Rayman70

Reaction score
tenor.gif