Mike Zimmer, Anthony Barr and Micah Parsons

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes.

This is pre free agency and pre draft.

Things will change.

But they have 3 capable guys so no need to panic in February
you do not have to panic but that is a top position of need so you have to go get one whether it's free agency or the draft you must target a great linebacker it has to be a middle linebacker none of this hybrid crap none of this small guy there is a such thing as an actual middle linebacker that can dissect and replays that has instincts and go all over the field but it's also a thumper... We don't have that guy on the team... Pretty much to me it's top priority whether you get it in both places where you get one in free agency and you get one in the draft it is something that has to be addressed.. They don't have to reach but they have to have targets literally has to be the target position in the draft and free agency before anything else..

If we view it the way you're looking at it we don't have a whole lot of needs on a three straight 12 win season team to go crazy at any position but there are targets we have to find to not end up in the same spot again... I guess first and foremost what we have to do is in March when the official season opens and about 18 free agents on our own team a couple do for big contracts we have to see which one of those we keep and which ones we lose and then we'll know what the big holes are on this team..​

quickccc

Reaction score
counting on a rookie hybrid like Overshown was a mistake. He was up and down at Texas. I watched every game and he had games where he was atrocious. We need true linebacker, thumpers in there. Clark isn't the answer either. Like I said, the entire room needs an overhaul. I think Quinn had a big hand in it and what the Joneses did at linebacker.
Under Quinn and NFL coaching tutage in just camp and early preseason alone, in such a very short time, Oveshown was showing impressive instincts and reaction that had most encouraged in what he was gonna be as he adjusted to the NFL level of play.

- i have nuthin against the Clark late round draft pick and thought it was a good risk take. He was a Butkus finalist for best college LB, and late round is a great value pick round to take such a low risk/high reward draft pick.
If he does not work out, then what was the big risk ? Not a first or even 4th rd pick. We simply keep moving on for green new pastures.

- Where we really screwed up is not pursuing perrenial Pro Bowler Bobby Wagner per FA, deciding instead to re-sign LVE instead.

- I'd be sickly disgusted if we brought LVE risky neck injury prone right back into the fold , instead of making him casualty cap cut if he does not retire first.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because he wasn't very good. Barr wouldn't have done anything for us
because Anthony Barr is no longer the old young Anthony Barr that is why... That doesn't mean a young fresh version of him couldn't help us that would be untrue... We may have that guy and overshown we'll find out soon enough.. But right now we don't need that type I mean we have that guy and Micah Parsons he's a better version of Anthony Barr we need a true middle linebacker a big thumper with instincts and range and can wear the green dot that literally smart enough to be that instinctual that he can run the defense....

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes.

This is pre free agency and pre draft.

Things will change.

But they have 3 capable guys so no need to panic in February
I dont think LVE can be anywhere in the plan. Too unreliable for someone thats not really that good to begin with

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Using an elite pass rusher as an off ball LB is dumb. There aren't many "running downs" in the NFL anymore. It's not 1985.

quickccc

Reaction score
I expect them to sign a guy like Jewell at LB. Not expensive but will make an impact. You cant count on a rookie to be a "gem". Especially outside the top 30, where we are very unlikely to take one
Gems can come in the 2nd round as well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Under Quinn and NFL coaching tutage in just camp and early preseason alone, in such a very short time, Oveshown was showing impressive instincts and reaction that had most encouraged in what he was gonna be as he adjusted to the NFL level of play.

- i have nuthin against the Clark late round draft pick and thought it was a good risk take. He was a Butkus finalist for best college LB, and late round is a great value pick round to take such a low risk/high reward draft pick.
If he does not work out, then what was the big risk ? Not a first or even 4th rd pick. We simply keep moving on for green new pastures.

- Where we really screwed up is not pursuing perrenial Pro Bowler Bobby Wagner per FA, deciding instead to re-sign LVE instead.

- I'd be sickly disgusted if we brought LVE risky neck injury prone right back into the fold , instead of making him casualty cap cut if he does not retire first.
we need a reimagined linebacker group.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is going to be when parsons tells them he doesn’t want to be a linebacker because that imo is inevitably coming.

Maybe, once he’s paid his historic contract he’ll be more flexible but I can promise you, if he’s lining up at linebacker a heavy % of plays he’s gonna see that as a hit on his bag since linebackers are paid much less than rushers.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The elephant in the room is going to be when parsons tells them he doesn’t want to be a linebacker because that imo is inevitably coming.

Maybe, once he’s paid his historic contract he’ll be more flexible but I can promise you, if he’s lining up at linebacker a heavy % of plays he’s gonna see that as a hit on his bag since linebackers are paid much less than rushers.
He is going to be the highest paid defensive player no matter what. They arent going to get cute and pay him like an LB. If anything playing LB and Edge will have a positive impact on his market because he is playing two positions

Don't know if he is thinking it yet, but playing full time DE could have a negative impact on long term earnings as it could shorten his career

fivetwos

Reaction score
Using an elite pass rusher as an off ball LB is dumb. There aren't many "running downs" in the NFL anymore. It's not 1985.
I’m now thinking of what could happen if Parsons isn’t used the way he wants to be in the new scheme.

Potential for plenty of ugliness on the horizon.

quickccc

Reaction score
They can be, but you cant plan on it. Counting on players outside the top 30 to be quality walk in starters day 1 is counting on winning lottery tickets
The NFL draft is not just one round, and only in the first round.

It's very key that you strike and connect well with your first 3 rounds, those are your premium rounds.
those are the ones you want to target starter types and immediate contributors.

Jones have persistently mentioned that in just about every pre-draft press conference. (first 3 rounds)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Something to look at in a potential Mike Zimmer hire is his usage of Anthony Barr in Minnesota. In Minnesota, Zimmer used Barr primarily as a LB, but would put his hand in the dirt on some passing downs. There are some similarities in skill set between Parsons and a young Anthony Barr. Parsons was used in a similar way as a rookie, when he wasnt used as a full time DE (remember Parsons as a pass rusher was pretty much an accident)

If Zimmer is the hire, is there a chance we go back to using Parsons more as a LB on running downs. That would be my hope, as I don't see any point in playing him as a DE on running downs
I like Zimmer. His defenses have always been solid. But Belichick could be the choice. Jerry wants to make a splash.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He is going to be the highest paid defensive player no matter what. They arent going to get cute and pay him like an LB. If anything playing LB and Edge will have a positive impact on his market because he is playing two positions

Don't know if he is thinking it yet, but playing full time DE could have a negative impact on long term earnings as it could shorten his career
I promise you that his agent will make it clear if u play him at line backer he better be paid now at a rusher price. There’s no way he’s gonna be ok playing 40% of snaps at line back and not think the team won’t use that against him in someway in negotiations.

If they are going to do that then pay him now.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The NFL draft is not just one round, and only in the first round.

It's very key that you strike and connect well with your first 3 rounds, those are your premium rounds.
those are the ones you want to target starter types and immediate contributors.

Jones have persistently mentioned that in just about every pre-draft press conference. (first 3 rounds)
Im saying that assuming you can fill immediates needs with walk in starters outside the top 32 is not a sound plan. Thats where fan dont understand the draft. They look as we have needs here, here, here and here, so our top 4 picks will fill those positions. That doesnt work. We could draft an LB, we can even hit on one. But you look to address the position with "we will just hit on a draft pick"

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
Ross Tucker refers to Micah as the best Edge in the game.
What are we doing here messing with him as an off the ball LB

I hope someone at the interviews points this out to the Jones' (Wink Martindale?)
Great, now if we can just convince our opponents to pass on every down.....