Mike Zimmer, Anthony Barr and Micah Parsons

Gambit

Reaction score
well, whomever comes in here, we need a complete overhaul and mindset at linebacker. Quinn was too artsy fartsy at times and unwilling to adapt as he needed, late in the year. But a guy like Zimmer, even Rivera, would be insistent on having real linebackers in there.
In terms of size, can you define "real linebackers"?

Creeper

Reaction score
I just don't want to see Micah dropping back into coverage on 3rd and 9 anymore.

And I want to see more stoutness from our DTs.

Of course we need LBs. I am wondering what is going through LVE's mind. Is he retiring? Even if he comes back we could still use an upgrade over him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At first I didn’t. But every day that passes the possibility increases. IMHO
He will sit the year. Now I do believe he has an eye on us. He knows McCarthy is on a short leash. However in no world do I see a coach of his stature accepting a coordinator position. This forum is the only I have even heard it mentioned. The only other place I could even imagine that being discussed is in a hair brain fans twitter machinations

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ross Tucker refers to Micah as the best Edge in the game.
What are we doing here messing with him as an off the ball LB

I hope someone at the interviews points this out to the Jones' (Wink Martindale?)
too small

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don't want to see Micah dropping back into coverage on 3rd and 9 anymore.

And I want to see more stoutness from our DTs.

Of course we need LBs. I am wondering what is going through LVE's mind. Is he retiring? Even if he comes back we could still use an upgrade over him.
don't worry we'll get another safety

Gambit

Reaction score
Over 225 pounds and physical, play gap integrity. Tackles well. Understands how to defend the pass
Ok your applying too many unmeasurable factors for this part of the convo.

225 lbs, do you have a height requirement to meet term real LB?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Something to look at in a potential Mike Zimmer hire is his usage of Anthony Barr in Minnesota. In Minnesota, Zimmer used Barr primarily as a LB, but would put his hand in the dirt on some passing downs. There are some similarities in skill set between Parsons and a young Anthony Barr. Parsons was used in a similar way as a rookie, when he wasnt used as a full time DE (remember Parsons as a pass rusher was pretty much an accident)

If Zimmer is the hire, is there a chance we go back to using Parsons more as a LB on running downs. That would be my hope, as I don't see any point in playing him as a DE on running downs
Makes some sense to draft or sign a mike linebacker, play Parsons on the strong side and Overshown as our weakside backer. Against the pass, move Parsons as an Edge rusher.

Gambit

Reaction score
Makes some sense to draft or sign a mike linebacker, play Parsons on the strong side and Overshown as our weakside backer. Against the pass, move Parsons as an Edge rusher.
Clarks natural position is Mike..

A departure from the 2 LB system alone should provide us more run stopping ability.

Haven't heard a word about LVE hopefully he retires for his health.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Clarks natural position is Mike..

A departure from the 2 LB system alone should provide us more run stopping ability.

Haven't heard a word about LVE hopefully he retires for his health.
Absolutely. Also, Parsons was terrible setting the Edge, teams ran right at him with great success. He still will have plenty of chances to rush the passer, but makes sense playing him off the ball against the run.

glimmerman

Reaction score
well, whomever comes in here, we need a complete overhaul and mindset at linebacker. Quinn was too artsy fartsy at times and unwilling to adapt as he needed, late in the year. But a guy like Zimmer, even Rivera, would be insistent on having real linebackers in there.
And I think Zimmer likes a big DT. Real LBs. But please keep Harris as secondary coach. Zimmer had his CB playing 10 yards off.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
With Zimm seemingly preferring a 4-3 or 4 man front ..i'd expect a Hasson Reddick like LB/edge role for Parsons in a Zimm scheme.
Be hard to believe Zimm would try to make Micah a 70-80 % coverage LB. I'd want Parsons in a forward or lateral moving position, than
running up field with TEs with his back to the ball. you don't see Hasson or a Von Miller (in his prime) doing that

- And then what would be the roles of Overshown in a Zimm scheme ?

- And yes, I'm projecting a new early round rookie LB draftee into the mix as well. (FA will be for bargain backup vets)

- Zimm LBs to be: - Parson, Overshown and rookie gem LB,.. leave it to Zimm how he wants to scheme and employ them.
Parsons on the strongside, Overshown on the weakside and find a legitimate Mike Linebacker in fa.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I wonder if the any of the interviewees are making part of their accepting the DC offer contingent upon the outcome of a conversation regarding addressing the LB position? Maybe not. Maybe they're just so happy to potentially have a job they just don't care.

If I was walking in here for an interview, I'd advise JJ that he has one LB as far as I'm concerned, and he's really shaky. LVE - may/should retire, not relying on him. Overshown - Rookie in terms of NFL experience coming of an ACL. Not relying on anything from him. Can't count MP if he's a DE. And I'm not starting my tenure with safties at LB. Surely that would terminate my chances, but unless you can assure me there's going to be significant resources assigned to rectifying this issue, I want no part of having my name associated with this mess.

quickccc

Reaction score
Im saying that assuming you can fill immediates needs with walk in starters outside the top 32 is not a sound plan. Thats where fan dont understand the draft. They look as we have needs here, here, here and here, so our top 4 picks will fill those positions. That doesnt work. We could draft an LB, we can even hit on one. But you look to address the position with "we will just hit on a draft pick"
Which is why i said the NFL draft is not just about one lone draft pick, not just about just the first round. You take the draft class as a whole, as a collective.
especially when you are Not talking about the top 3-5 overall picks, and even then, when you're drafting top overall, you still rely on more than just one draftee player- it's the reason why top overall picking teams are the worst teams in position to pick so high.

And as a player personnel dept. i don't never go into a draft assuming that we are Not gonna get a solid player in a non-first round.
it becomes a tougher assignment, because it's not as highly graded, and regarded as the first rd. prospects.
But i think it's defeatus to say its not a plan. what you like to have and present is quality vet depth to help sooth a top rookie's learning curve until
he eventually does adjust to NFL.

quickccc

Reaction score
Parsons on the strongside, Overshown on the weakside and find a legitimate Mike Linebacker in fa.
i'm thinking Cap Boy Stephen will continue the tradition of a cheap, stop gap ,vet middle LB in FA,, while still quite in the mix of drafting
a well regarded rookie LB in the NFL draft.

With a team with such a " brick wall mentality " , they have to have worse scenario crash happened before they finally try to resolve a problem area issue.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i'm thinking Cap Boy Stephen will continue the tradition of a cheap, stop gap ,vet middle LB in FA,, while still quite in the mix of drafting
a well regarded rookie LB in the NFL draft.

With a team with such a " brick wall mentality " , they have to have worse scenario crash happened before they finally try to resolve a problem area issue.
You are probably right. I don't think fixing the defense will take that much if they are willing to spend, but that's not going to happen. Expect a low level veteran and a draft pick and probably resigning Hankins again.