Mike Zimmer's coverage philosophy just isn't working for the 2024 Cowboys

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This is going to happen when you don't try to rush the passer. The coverage scheme is irrelevant - they are playing flat up front.

DQ was a poor DC because he refused to mix up his coverage, but the philosophy of getting to the QB first is correct.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zimmer was a worse hire than McCarthy.
I still don't get the disdain for Mike McCarthy really a bad hire every coach that was hired that same year were far worse every one of them were gone within three years and none of them won 36 games two division titles and took their team to the playoffs three straight years and doing this with everybody in here who's a hypocrite I mean what is it you can't say that Jerry Jones and the front office does everything they can to be aggressive and all in and bring in the talent so he's doing this with a very limited roster that's gonna lean more on scheme than it would on pure talent and depth that he doesn't have so which is it the Jones family doesn't do enough or is this Mike McCarthy's fault to me he's doing more with less than most coaches you know how they're saying they're setting up dak Prescott to fail because they don't bring him enough same thing on the defensive side you're asking defensive coordinators to do things with bargain basement free agents and Mike McCarthy's gotta do the same thing and then you add any injuries throughout the season and they don't go out and replace them with similar talent OR better they're not making the big trade they did it once in 2018 but now it's Mike McCarthy's fault Mike McCarthy has one of the best winners senages in the NFL since 2020 and it wouldn't even be better if he didn't take over a team that lost about 17 players during COVID and all the other nonsense that happened in 2020 to this team and losing Prescott but every year since the man has won 12 games he's doing all he can right I mean I don't know what coach could have been hired at the moment 'cause there wasn't one in 2020 that was better than Mike McCarthy Mike McCarthy is the only one left.... So if you really look at it Mike McCarthy was the best hire in 2020 because he's had the best results and maybe his time is coming up here and finally over 'cause everything runs its course..

I don't like him as an offensive coordinator the proof is there he needs to give that job back but I don't know what you're saying there wasn't one single coach that was hired in 2020 that was better than Mike McCarthy they were all fireworks and lost their jobs really fast he's the only one that actually has the results that proves he was a good hire I don't know who you thought would be better there wasn't any at the time they were all taken that were possible ideas and are you saying that you're smarter than the entire NFL who hired about 8 coaches that year and Mike McCarthy is obviously facts are all there the proof is in this win percentage...​
I don't know of any that would've done better at that moment unless you got lucky maybe really strange left field higher and they happen to work out but we've seen dudes with big names come from college and absolutely be terrible and there's even coaches right now that were Super Bowl winners in Peterson that went to the Jaguars everyone thought oh man he's gonna turn that team around fast look what he's doing now look what he's doing.​
And I get it at this point it's probably ran his course he probably won't be here next year I'm gonna tell you right now he was a very good hire you may not have thought so at the beginning but just look at the last three seasons and what he's working with as an owner in GM in front office. You tell me who could have worked in this environment and done any better..​

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jerry put himself in a hole not extending Mike. No credible coach was coming here knowing he would get fired.
Bingo!!!!!!! EVERY coach wants as much security as possible for his family. This is why some owners will tack on an extra year to their lame-duck coach. We saw the same thing with Garrett.......forced him to coach the final year of his deal to save money rather than firing him knowing damn well he wasn't bringing him back.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry put himself in a hole not extending Mike. No credible coach was coming here knowing he would get fired.
i don't know rex ryan's credible he said he would've came here for more money..

I don't know what you're talking about a real credible one would know they're so good that they could have turned this defense around been the better coach and got the head coaching job in 2025 that's what a credible coach would do not one that would be scared to come in here had nothing to do with Mike McCarthy possibly being fired if they know Jerry well enough they know Jerry will keep pieces of his old defense or offense coordinators even if he fires the head coach he may elevate one of them or he may keep a few and elevate them to different position as a coach,,,

so if they were credible,

they wouldn't be scared they'd go after the head coach's job and the only way to do that is to be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL and make it hard for Jerry to let him go and then hand him the head coaching job that was what was supposed to happen with Dan Quinn and it didn't but if Mike Zimmer would have came in here and did his job or say if Rex Ryan or any credible coaches you say come in here and did a bang up job and immediately had the defense being the best side of the ball they would have got the job in 2025 they would've been the head coach if they stood out that's what they would have had to do has nothing to do with lame duck coaching....

And by the way I believe if they would have hired a Rex Ryan or a Bill Belichick or vrabel and I think rabel even mentioned he would be interested in the defensive coordinator position here those are credible guys and you know what I bet all of them are thinking the same thing they thought they would be better than Mike McCarthy as a head coach and that's what they would have been focused on making the defense so great that they would take Mike McCarthy's job next year in 2025 as the head coach that's what credible coaches do that's what great players do they exceed expectations and they earn positions.

Sydla

Reaction score
I still don't get the disdain for Mike McCarthy really a bad hire every coach that was hired that same year were far worse every one of them were gone within three years and none of them won 36 games two division titles and took their team to the playoffs three straight years and doing this with everybody in here who's a hypocrite I mean what is it you can't say that Jerry Jones and the front office does everything they can to be aggressive and all in and bring in the talent so he's doing this with a very limited roster that's gonna lean more on scheme than it would on pure talent and depth that he doesn't have so which is it the Jones family doesn't do enough or is this Mike McCarthy's fault to me he's doing more with less than most coaches you know how they're saying they're setting up dak Prescott to fail because they don't bring him enough same thing on the defensive side you're asking defensive coordinators to do things with bargain basement free agents and Mike McCarthy's gotta do the same thing and then you add any injuries throughout the season and they don't go out and replace them with similar talent OR better they're not making the big trade they did it once in 2018 but now it's Mike McCarthy's fault Mike McCarthy has one of the best winners senages in the NFL since 2020 and it wouldn't even be better if he didn't take over a team that lost about 17 players during COVID and all the other nonsense that happened in 2020 to this team and losing Prescott but every year since the man has won 12 games he's doing all he can right I mean I don't know what coach could have been hired at the moment 'cause there wasn't one in 2020 that was better than Mike McCarthy Mike McCarthy is the only one left.... So if you really look at it Mike McCarthy was the best hire in 2020 because he's had the best results and maybe his time is coming up here and finally over 'cause everything runs its course..

I don't like him as an offensive coordinator the proof is there he needs to give that job back but I don't know what you're saying there wasn't one single coach that was hired in 2020 that was better than Mike McCarthy they were all fireworks and lost their jobs really fast he's the only one that actually has the results that proves he was a good hire I don't know who you thought would be better there wasn't any at the time they were all taken that were possible ideas and are you saying that you're smarter than the entire NFL who hired about 8 coaches that year and Mike McCarthy is obviously facts are all there the proof is in this win percentage...​
I don't know of any that would've done better at that moment unless you got lucky maybe really strange left field higher and they happen to work out but we've seen dudes with big names come from college and absolutely be terrible and there's even coaches right now that were Super Bowl winners in Peterson that went to the Jaguars everyone thought oh man he's gonna turn that team around fast look what he's doing now look what he's doing.​
And I get it at this point it's probably ran his course he probably won't be here next year I'm gonna tell you right now he was a very good hire you may not have thought so at the beginning but just look at the last three seasons and what he's working with as an owner in GM in front office. You tell me who could have worked in this environment and done any better..​
Team is as undisciplined today as it was when McCarthy claimed he would fix it when he first got the job. Regular season wins are great.............. but in the grand schemes for this franchise, meaningless. He's failed in the postseason where he and his staff have been outcoached in those playoff losses.

He's a mediocre coach at this point in his career. He's around for one reason at this point - Jerry refuses to pay a coach to sit at home while he's paying another coach. He literally came out and said this.

This org is run by an arrogant twit.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think people forget how bad they performed in GB. It looked like sabotage.
It wasn't just the Green Bay game I don't see how Dan Quinn wasn't fired he was allowed to take his time finding a job and by the way Washington was the very last team that had an opening it wasn't like they were going after Dan Quinn like he was special here in the NFL you don't remember two years ago his defense blue leads a 14 and 17 points in Green Bay and Jacksonville which by the way people say we can't win on the road well that's Dan Quinn's defense that did that I remember Dan Quinn's defense not showing up in the Seattle game last year and made Prescott play a near perfect game to win I also remember Dan Quinn's defense in the Miami game when Prescott gave them the lead there was only four minutes left Dan Quinn's defense couldn't stop anyone I remember four games let's just call it every loss last year was really 75% on the defense how the hell would you promote Dan Quinn to head coach and fire Mike McCarthy when the defense was the worst side of the ball last year Mike McCarthy's offense with the top scoring and one of the most efficient offenses in the league...

So when the head coach finds a way to win 12 games with a bad defensive coordinator and a bunch of blown leads and defenses that couldn't stop anyone how the hell would you promote Dan Quinn that's like the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard of because what you're living in the moment because what he's doing and watching him at the moment no we saw how he just went on a meltdown in Atlanta and this may not last all year with Washington we'll see they gotta still play all the division games and now teams are starting to take him them more seriously and have more film but I'm just saying you're right and Quinn should not be forgotten how he was and his side of the ball just like Mike Nolan just like marinelli we wanna blame the offense and Prescott 'cause that's where all the money is and back it was zeke and now it's CD lamb..

We get that's where the money's at but that's not where the bigger problems have been. We've seen inadequate defenses ruin our playoffs more than we've seen inadequate offense that's a fact so anyone who thinks Dan Quinn should have stayed here just because of the way he started in Washington have really selective memory.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"And while it was expected for their to be a learning curve for the secondary players as Zimmer's coverages are notoriously complicated, it's been a dramatic shift in results."

How do these people get jobs?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think it's not working because Zimmer's scheme is bad. I think the players that Dan Quinn acquired to accommodate his scheme couldn't quickly adapt to Zimmer's scheme. Zimmer needs more seasons to get his guys together and trained.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Read a nugget about how the Commander OC putting on a clinic with his play calling puts Daniel and his offense in the best position for positive outcomes. My fear unless something changes, he's going to have a field day with our defense.
You know how well we fare against running QB’s lol

Creeper

Reaction score
I would give Zimmer more time. 4 games is not enough to see, especially when your starting CB who led the league in INTs last year is out and a rookie is taking his place. Maybe Zimmer is playing certain coverages more to cover for Carson or the 3rd string CBs who played last week.

I would also take note of the players he has. The Cowboys clearly lost something when they allowed Armstrong and Fowler to walk. The pass rush is decidedly worse this year.

There was also the GB game last year. The images of Packer's receivers running wide open downfield in that game are still burning in my brain. Where was Quinn's brilliance then?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BREAKING NEWS: A lot of people on this very post, hyped up Zimmer being here, you fell in the trap of the "Double A Gap" blitzing stuff etc etc it was only a matter of time before he was going to be the next person to be talked about like Quinn was, I just didn't think it would be in year one

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would give Zimmer more time. 4 games is not enough to see, especially when your starting CB who led the league in INTs last year is out and a rookie is taking his place. Maybe Zimmer is playing certain coverages more to cover for Carson or the 3rd string CBs who played last week.

I would also take note of the players he has. The Cowboys clearly lost something when they allowed Armstrong and Fowler to walk. The pass rush is decidedly worse this year.

There was also the GB game last year. The images of Packer's receivers running wide open downfield in that game are still burning in my brain. Where was Quinn's brilliance then?
Hear what you're saying, but I don't see Armstrong and Fowler changing much, I like what they bring at times, but it's not consistent

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't think it's not working because Zimmer's scheme is bad. I think the players that Dan Quinn acquired to accommodate his scheme couldn't quickly adapt to Zimmer's scheme. Zimmer needs more seasons to get his guys together and trained.
I agree 100% but he doesn't have that luxury. We all know installing a new scheme takes time and getting the right pieces. This is why I think he needs to adjust his system to fit the players he currently has. It's obvious players are thinking way too much rather than reacting

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree 100% but he doesn't have that luxury. We all know installing a new scheme takes time and getting the right pieces. This is why I think he needs to adjust his system to fit the players he currently has. It's obvious players are thinking way too much rather than reacting
Nope. Not at all.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
That's an interesting write-up.

I wonder if all the zones result from trying to protect Carson.

blueblood70

Reaction score
didnt help losing Bland not bring back Gilly, and than Carson goes down and booth is trash and losing Sam early than losing Parsons and tank..the DTs all brought inn late not doing much YET... DONO been Trash of late as well.. need players for sure, but has to adapt..