Mike Zimmer's coverage philosophy just isn't working for the 2024 Cowboys

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I didn't say that was the issue, just said i like quinn and hated losing him. he chose to play bell at linebacker because lve retired, overshown was out for the year, and damone clark sucked. it's no coincidence that as soon as he got to Wash he signed wagner and luvu.
I get what you saying but Bell is consistent to what linebackers he had in Atlanta. Then they signed Evans last year and wouldn’t play him. I don’t think that decision was strictly this front office. Quinn had say in personnel to an extent.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree the safeties aren't doing well. I'm actually surprised the young CB's are doing as well as they are.

Proof

Reaction score
I get what you saying but Bell is consistent to what linebackers he had in Atlanta. Then they signed Evans last year and wouldn’t play him. I don’t think that decision was strictly this front office. Quinn had say in personnel to an extent.
he's certainly shown a willingness to be flexible and run smaller guys, but i don't buy it was his philosophy. in the atl superbowl season he had vic beasley and deion jones at lb. guess just agree to disagree man.

vlad

Reaction score
It sure feels like we have a habit of hiring people off the couch after a few years off. I mean no one of any significance was coming into a lame-duck situation and McCarthy is trying to make lemonade with this whole organization.
Please someone put Charlotte or Rowdy in charge.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Great article on the Cowboys defense under Zim. It's pretty clear from watching the games he isn't the answer we hoped. Reading this, it's worse than it seems. Considering the upcoming schedule, it could be rough watching our team.

k.d. drummond
Wed, Oct 2, 2024

f84ba63962fbfebdbef67f76afb50d67

It's always tough to make a one-to-one comparison between coaching staffs in the NFL. From year to year, so much changes about team personnel that it's sometimes tough to pinpoint what changed philosophically or what changed out of necessity.

Take the Dallas Cowboys for instance. Last year's starting cornerback tandem of Stephon Gilmore and Daron Bland have played zero snaps for the team in 2024. Can a change in the way the secondary schemes be tethered to a necessary change with Trevon Diggs return and a fifth-round rookie in Caelen Carson playing opposite him? Or is it more about Mike Zimmer implementing what has always been a much different philosophy when it comes to coverages than his predecessor Dan Quinn?

So far in 2024, there's been a major difference between the way the secondaries have been deployed. And while it was expected for their to be a learning curve for the secondary players as Zimmer's coverages are notoriously complicated, it's been a dramatic shift in results.

Are the changes working?

Things have gotten decidedly worse, but the question is are these issues due to other factors, or the philosophy? Everything about the Dallas defense is worse than it was a year ago, from their run stopping ability to their pass rush. So is the coverage calling a result of trying to compensate for what's happening in the front seven or a symptom of the same core issue?

Much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-zimmers-coverage-philosophy-just-210008669.html
Wow what a frickin surprise.

Of course Zimmer cant stop opposing nfl air attacks. Thats long known. The guy was a has been 10 years ago. NFL offense systems have passed him by.

Then why did we bring him in here you ask ?
Because nobody else wanted to take the job.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Take out the top cornerback starters in the NFL, and less talent will have to grow. Same for SF and the same for KC.

Take out one's top notched defensive ends, that further compounds both the defensive line and secondary simultaneously. Wonder what injuries do to a defense? The same thing happens to SF, and KC. Wonder what losing the top four players for extended periods does? It better advance rate of development for depth of roster. Hope their selections was wise now. If they are still playing football and not part of an actor's guild, then tough will get them there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Great article on the Cowboys defense under Zim. It's pretty clear from watching the games he isn't the answer we hoped. Reading this, it's worse than it seems. Considering the upcoming schedule, it could be rough watching our team.

k.d. drummond
Wed, Oct 2, 2024

f84ba63962fbfebdbef67f76afb50d67

It's always tough to make a one-to-one comparison between coaching staffs in the NFL. From year to year, so much changes about team personnel that it's sometimes tough to pinpoint what changed philosophically or what changed out of necessity.

Take the Dallas Cowboys for instance. Last year's starting cornerback tandem of Stephon Gilmore and Daron Bland have played zero snaps for the team in 2024. Can a change in the way the secondary schemes be tethered to a necessary change with Trevon Diggs return and a fifth-round rookie in Caelen Carson playing opposite him? Or is it more about Mike Zimmer implementing what has always been a much different philosophy when it comes to coverages than his predecessor Dan Quinn?

So far in 2024, there's been a major difference between the way the secondaries have been deployed. And while it was expected for their to be a learning curve for the secondary players as Zimmer's coverages are notoriously complicated, it's been a dramatic shift in results.

Are the changes working?

Things have gotten decidedly worse, but the question is are these issues due to other factors, or the philosophy? Everything about the Dallas defense is worse than it was a year ago, from their run stopping ability to their pass rush. So is the coverage calling a result of trying to compensate for what's happening in the front seven or a symptom of the same core issue?

Much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-zimmers-coverage-philosophy-just-210008669.html
He's starting a fifth-round rookie because he doesn't have any better options and even had to start castoffs in the last game because that rookie was out. He's also starting a high-quality corner coming off a very serious injury that many players aren't able to fully return from until at least their second year back.

Not saying his philosophy is working, just that the sample we've got is tainted. We'll see how it does when we've got Bland back and Diggs gets further removed from his injury.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I still don't get the disdain for Mike McCarthy really a bad hire every coach that was hired that same year were far worse every one of them were gone within three years and none of them won 36 games two division titles and took their team to the playoffs three straight years and doing this with everybody in here who's a hypocrite I mean what is it you can't say that Jerry Jones and the front office does everything they can to be aggressive and all in and bring in the talent so he's doing this with a very limited roster that's gonna lean more on scheme than it would on pure talent and depth that he doesn't have so which is it the Jones family doesn't do enough or is this Mike McCarthy's fault to me he's doing more with less than most coaches you know how they're saying they're setting up dak Prescott to fail because they don't bring him enough same thing on the defensive side you're asking defensive coordinators to do things with bargain basement free agents and Mike McCarthy's gotta do the same thing and then you add any injuries throughout the season and they don't go out and replace them with similar talent OR better they're not making the big trade they did it once in 2018 but now it's Mike McCarthy's fault Mike McCarthy has one of the best winners senages in the NFL since 2020 and it wouldn't even be better if he didn't take over a team that lost about 17 players during COVID and all the other nonsense that happened in 2020 to this team and losing Prescott but every year since the man has won 12 games he's doing all he can right I mean I don't know what coach could have been hired at the moment 'cause there wasn't one in 2020 that was better than Mike McCarthy Mike McCarthy is the only one left.... So if you really look at it Mike McCarthy was the best hire in 2020 because he's had the best results and maybe his time is coming up here and finally over 'cause everything runs its course..

I don't like him as an offensive coordinator the proof is there he needs to give that job back but I don't know what you're saying there wasn't one single coach that was hired in 2020 that was better than Mike McCarthy they were all fireworks and lost their jobs really fast he's the only one that actually has the results that proves he was a good hire I don't know who you thought would be better there wasn't any at the time they were all taken that were possible ideas and are you saying that you're smarter than the entire NFL who hired about 8 coaches that year and Mike McCarthy is obviously facts are all there the proof is in this win percentage...​
I don't know of any that would've done better at that moment unless you got lucky maybe really strange left field higher and they happen to work out but we've seen dudes with big names come from college and absolutely be terrible and there's even coaches right now that were Super Bowl winners in Peterson that went to the Jaguars everyone thought oh man he's gonna turn that team around fast look what he's doing now look what he's doing.​
And I get it at this point it's probably ran his course he probably won't be here next year I'm gonna tell you right now he was a very good hire you may not have thought so at the beginning but just look at the last three seasons and what he's working with as an owner in GM in front office. You tell me who could have worked in this environment and done any better..​
His explanation about why he doesn’t use motion summed him up. Imo he doesn’t understand that it’s important to getting WRs open. The continual time management issues aren’t good either.

He’s not terrible at all. Better than average maybe. Clearly much better than JG, but that’s his ceiling imo.

Praxit

Reaction score
..worse case, their both gone, should this team go under.

Right now, Pitt, Det, and SF on deck. Focus is on that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Every time a DC comes to town with the Cowboys, their complicated defense that they foster never fails to confuse our defensive slugs. :angry:
Of course, on the other hand, we've had too many defensive injuries thus far in the early stages of this season. Any way it will improve? :huh:

Last edited: