Minnesota Judge: ‘I’m not sure Roger Goodell understands there’s a CBA'

RS12

Reaction score
Roger Goodell has appeared in court multiple times during the league’s lengthy legal battle with Tom Brady and the NFL Players Association over Brady’s four-game suspension.

But that doesn’t make the NFL commissioner a lawyer.

That was the scathing message of Minnesota U.S. District Judge David S. Doty on Wednesday, who took a shot at Goodell during a hearing for a contempt motion filed by the NFLPA in the Adrian Peterson case.

Doty said “we’re all very curious” to see how Judge Richard Berman will rule on Brady’s suspension before pointing out Goodell’s lack of legal expertise

. “I’m not sure the commissioner understands there is a (collective bargaining agreement),” Doty said, via USA TODAY Sports. Doty has ruled in favor of the NFLPA over the league in several instances — most recently in a decision that allowed Peterson’s suspension to be vacated — so it’s not surprising to see him slip in a jab at Goodell.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/08/minnesota-judge-im-not-sure-roger-goodell-understands-theres-cba/

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Godell is going to cost himself his job before long. I don't want to hear about how he makes the owners all this money or league profits. That has happened in spite of him, not because of him. He's ruining the play on the field and the reputation of the league itself. Get the clown out of there.

I saw a video on twitter from the president of the players union about points of emphasis and they had multiple clips of players helping opponents up and shaking hands during games like thats what they want. He wants to turn a violent, competitive sport into a family friendly, entertainment company. Before long the NFL will be arena football 2.0

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I''m beginning to think Doty doesn't know about collective bargaining either since the NFLPA didn't agree to the result and tries to get their cases heard by Doty, who hates the NFL, in Minnesota and not in New York.....

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Roger Goodell has appeared in court multiple times during the league’s lengthy legal battle with Tom Brady and the NFL Players Association over Brady’s four-game suspension.

But that doesn’t make the NFL commissioner a lawyer.

That was the scathing message of Minnesota U.S. District Judge David S. Doty on Wednesday, who took a shot at Goodell during a hearing for a contempt motion filed by the NFLPA in the Adrian Peterson case.

Doty said “we’re all very curious” to see how Judge Richard Berman will rule on Brady’s suspension before pointing out Goodell’s lack of legal expertise

. “I’m not sure the commissioner understands there is a (collective bargaining agreement),” Doty said, via USA TODAY Sports. Doty has ruled in favor of the NFLPA over the league in several instances — most recently in a decision that allowed Peterson’s suspension to be vacated — so it’s not surprising to see him slip in a jab at Goodell.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/08/minnesota-judge-im-not-sure-roger-goodell-understands-theres-cba/

Is it not unusual that a judge with no connection to the case at hand would make a public statement like that? Seems kind of odd to me, especially given that he (Doty) routinely presides in cases involving the NFL.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Godell is going to cost himself his job before long. I don't want to hear about how he makes the owners all this money or league profits. That has happened in spite of him, not because of him. He's ruining the play on the field and the reputation of the league itself. Get the clown out of there.

I saw a video on twitter from the president of the players union about points of emphasis and they had multiple clips of players helping opponents up and shaking hands during games like thats what they want. He wants to turn a violent, competitive sport into a family friendly, entertainment company. Before long the NFL will be arena football 2.0

Goodell doesn't make the rules, he enforces them, and his job is to protect the shield, because without sponsors, there is no NFL

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Is it not unusual that a judge with no connection to the case at hand would make a public statement like that? Seems kind of odd to me, especially given that he (Doty) routinely presides in cases involving the NFL.

Doty is showing himself to be a shill for the NFLPA

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
What is the deal with Hardy? Has he decided to accept the 4 game suspension? There has been no update for weeks.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Goodell doesn't make the rules, he enforces them, and his job is to protect the shield, because without sponsors, there is no NFL

Funny how none of these changes started until he took over. Must be mere coincidence. And if he was doing his job he would have had the foresight to change the outdated DV policy beforehand and avoided trying to make examples out of a select few players, illegally btw.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Doty is showing himself to be a shill for the NFLPA

His past rulings and recent statement sure make it look that way. What I don't get is why he would make a public statement like that knowing that his bias is out there for all to see.

slick325

Reaction score
Judge Doty is absolutely on point in his statements about the NFL Commissioner. Paul Tags even ruled against the League he was once the Commissioner of because as an attorney he couldn't back the willy nilly rulings of Goodell. Tags never tried to be judge and jury when he was Commissioner nor did David Stern in the NBA. They generally allowed the justice system to work things out for them before making any rulings on suspensions. No surprise that both of them were attorneys.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Funny how none of these changes started until he took over. Must be mere coincidence. And if he was doing his job he would have had the foresight to change the outdated DV policy beforehand and avoided trying to make examples out of a select few players, illegally btw.

you mean how the nflpa is aqainst drug testing,, ask the NFLPA was they continue to protect women/wife beaters..

Rogah

Reaction score
pretty clear he's accepting his 4 game suspension, as he should because he should be in prison..
Agreed, and it sure seems that all the "of course he will appeal because he has nothing to lose!" people were in error.

burmafrd

Reaction score
What exactly does that have to do with anything I just said?
if you cannot figure it out then there is no point in going any further.

Goodell does exactly what the Owners want him to do. Not surprised you have not figured that out.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Agreed, and it sure seems that all the "of course he will appeal because he has nothing to lose!" people were in error.

Dude don't even try. You wrote the book on being in error. Plus stop calling everyone out after all of your crying about being persecuted here.

burmafrd

Reaction score
pretty clear he's accepting his 4 game suspension, as he should because he should be in prison..
actually if you had any knowledge at all as regards the Hardy situation he probably should be starting game one. But then you have never shown much ability to look beyond headlines.