Missing extra point, did it cost us two games this season?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Whether it did or it didn't, it doesn't matter at this point for games in the past...unfortunately assigning blame doesn't change the outcome.

Issue is we having a kicking Problem and as fans we can see it but the FO refuses to address it...I have no issue with a fg percentage at the league average, we have been spoiled in the past so I'm fine with lowering that expectation.

However, there is no excuse for a kicker for missed extra points unless something breaks down on the line and it's blocked.

Here's hoping they change at least before next year
oh wow so wise

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If you pay attention to what happened afterwards and game theory it out, the missed extra point turned out to be inconsequential when the 2 point conversion was made at the end of the game. Had we only been down by 7 instead of 8 we wouldn’t have gone for 2 and we still would have been going to overtime.

You could argue that we went for 2 after the Tony Pollard KO return, but we didn’t do it because the missed extra point earlier. We kicked the PAT and then went for 2 after a penalty. This is what Big Mike does when the other team commits a penalty placing the ball on the 1 because this team should be able to convert.

I get frustrated at missed kicks too. But we can’t just add 1 point at the end of regulation and say we would have won. Had the 2 point conversion failed because we were forced to take it, the I could understand the argument.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
All I'll say about this is I DON'T trust Greg "the worn out leg" at all...

I did from inside the 50 (where he was 32 of 33 last year), but I think the second back surgery this offseason has taken its toll. I thought it was stupid with a kicker coming off back surgery to not bring in legitimate competition.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
You can count on Greg to kick long clutch FGs to tie or win games, but not the closer attempts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Whether it did or it didn't, it doesn't matter at this point for games in the past...unfortunately assigning blame doesn't change the outcome.

Issue is we having a kicking Problem and as fans we can see it but the FO refuses to address it...I have no issue with a fg percentage at the league average, we have been spoiled in the past so I'm fine with lowering that expectation.

However, there is no excuse for a kicker for missed extra points unless something breaks down on the line and it's blocked.

Here's hoping they change at least before next year
I will still assign the blame. This Front Office is catering to Bones Fassel and his infatuation with Greg Zuerlein since they go back years as a team with the Rams. There is no excuse why Lirim Hajrullahu is not kept and given a chance since he's more accurate than today's Greg Zuerlein.

Just watch...Zuerlein is going to miss an extra point and/or a FG that will cost us during the playoffs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
absolutely NOT..

he hasnt lost us a single game , prove it ;;all his misses were early in game and if made say Bucs would have simply payed for a TD vs fg and the defense couldn't stop them all game..we haven't lost game because of our kicker or coaching decisions yet..,all these posts are ridiculous..

none of these games were lost over kick or poor coaching decision on to or going for it on 4th down or kicking the long kick vs a punt.,

there are distinct reasons that are plain to see for each loss

Bucs NO defense, that's clear..
Denver-the entire team was bad cant just pick on a player or coach, no one really showed to play.
KC- this was bad game for the offense but more so no run game on Moore, OL , and wrs drops were insane, show me a kick or xp actually cost us the game..
Raiders-Penalties and bad defense were more to blame then anyone..the OL wasnt good , no run game..again show me the xp missed would have changed the game...it doesnt

gregs not missed a clutch late game or OT kick and its why hes still here..hes been very average of late and not great but hes not the reason we lost any of those 4 games..
If you coached a team and I coached a team, my team would beat your team simply based on smarter decisions.

Jipper

Reaction score
I will still assign the blame. This Front Office is catering to Bones Fassel and his infatuation with Greg Zuerlein since they go back years as a team with the Rams. There is no excuse why Lirim Hajrullahu is not kept and given a chance since he's more accurate than today's Greg Zuerlein.

Just watch...Zuerlein is going to miss an extra point and/or a FG that will cost us during the playoffs.

Nothing to disagree with there I also stated I liked hajrullahu....the favoritism stuff bugs me and yeah I am afraid it's going to cost us in the end as well.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
You can overcome, A mistake Usually in the first three quarters. Missing an extra point. All of a sudden you panic. You end up going for two Points. And the probability of that is not great. I believe there were two games this season we could’ve won simply by making that extra point. So what is my point. Mistakes turnovers will always come back to get you.
It's not that "simple"

If you are down a TD...and your offense scores and you line up to kick the extra point to force OT...and you miss as time expires. Then that is more direct. But if you miss the extra point early...there is plenty of enough football left in the game to overcome it.

New rules means a new way of thinking. This is NOT an aberration. The new distance means more extra points will be missed...which means games will be more intriguing. So overcoming missed extra points is something EVERY team better get used to doing. We might not like it because we are conditioned to believe an Extra Point is a "gimmee". But honestly, that is no longer true.

Carson

Reaction score
I would stash Quinn Nordin on the practice squad and let him replace Greg next season

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not that "simple"

If you are down a TD...and your offense scores and you line up to kick the extra point to force OT...and you miss as time expires. Then that is more direct. But if you miss the extra point early...there is plenty of enough football left in the game to overcome it.

New rules means a new way of thinking. This is NOT an aberration. The new distance means more extra points will be missed...which means games will be more intriguing. So overcoming missed extra points is something EVERY team better get used to doing. We might not like it because we are conditioned to believe an Extra Point is a "gimmee". But honestly, that is no longer true.
Thank you for that. After 60 years a football you think I would know it. Lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Greg's confidence is shot. It is obvious the moment you see him walk out onto the field. He's no longer the Legatron that he was in the past. I think the special teams coach is holding on to him because he is a friend from past Rams teams. I have a feeling we will see him gone after this season though. I will say I am not for an in-season kicker change just because I do not see very many reliable options out there and Greg has not been bad enough to cut ties with immediately. This team needs stability right now.
looked confident last nights..what nothing to say..??

blueblood70

Reaction score
come on guys 3 for 3 xps 2-2 fgs one 55, and 5 KOs all touchbacks..raised up his average after this one..21 of 26 but believe 3 of those are over 58 yard attempts shouldnt count so not as bad as you all make it.,.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
looked confident last nights..what nothing to say..??

What do you want? He made his field goals. I am glad he did. I want our players to all succeed. I am not one of those idiots that wants our guys to fail just so the opinion I posted holds up. That being said, I still stand by what I said earlier. A single long field goal does not instantly restore my faith in him. He is now 2/5 on field goals over 50 yards and kicking 80% overall along with 3 missed extra points all of which are below league average. I hope he becomes more consistent, but I still strongly believe it would be unwise not to bring in competition at the kicker position this offseason.

Citation: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
what no kicker replacement talk today. why is that hmmm:rolleyes: :popcorn:
Still missed all those PATs. If he misses no more until the end of the season, good for us. So far he has been horrible, one error less game doesn't change that. Constancy is king.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What do you want? He made his field goals. I am glad he did. I want our players to all succeed. I am not one of those idiots that wants our guys to fail just so the opinion I posted holds up. That being said, I still stand by what I said earlier. A single long field goal does not instantly restore my faith in him. He is now 2/5 on field goals over 50 yards and kicking 80% overall along with 3 missed extra points all of which are below league average. I hope he becomes more consistent, but I still strongly believe it would be unwise not to bring in competition at the kicker position this offseason.

Citation: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm
just making sure we make as big a deal about his good days as his so so one..lmao that real deal with it,..

this place is 90% negative making it better and