MJ vs Elvis Who will be remember as the biggest icon?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mldardy;2824865 said:
Don't be silly.:rolleyes:I don't think there were any Jackson's around when Elvis was alive or old enough.
Okay, Elvis' legacy was never fading. Even at the very end of his life when he was a fat pig, he was an iconic figure who could sell anything. Movies, albums, concerts, joining the Army, it didn't matter. Elvis was the story.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only because this is a fresh thread...

[youtube]OK25cfzdTTg[/youtube]

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Hostile;2824872 said:
Okay, Elvis' legacy was never fading. Even at the very end of his life when he was a fat pig, he was an iconic figure who could sell anything. Movies, albums, concerts, joining the Army, it didn't matter. Elvis was the story.

MJ's tour in the early 2000's sold out within a matter of hours.

He also sold out 50 concerts recently (July 13, 2009 to March 6, 2010)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2824876 said:
MJ's tour in the early 2000's sold out within a matter of hours.
I never said it didn't. His tours this year sold out too.

That doesn't change the fact that he is considered to be deep in debt and the tours were considered needed to salvage everything.

Elvis never reached that. In death he still makes millions and millions of dollars per year. It's unreal.

Did you know he's still alive? At least he has been for 3 decades and longer according to the tabloids.

Michael was a fantastic entertainer. No doubt about it. But a bigger icon than Elvis? I don't think so. It will get more coverage because of the age we now live in. That doesn't make him bigger.

I say again, Michael needed to marry Elvis' daughter to help his image.

Elvis never would have had to do that. Ever.

VietCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2824878 said:
I never said it didn't. His tours this year sold out too.

That doesn't change the fact that he is considered to be deep in debt and the tours were considered needed to salvage everything.

Elvis never reached that. In death he still makes millions and millions of dollars per year. It's unreal.

Did you know he's still alive? At least he has been for 3 decades and longer according to the tabloids.

Michael was a fantastic entertainer. No doubt about it. But a bigger icon than Elvis? I don't think so. It will get more coverage because of the age we now live in. That doesn't make him bigger.

I say again, Michael needed to marry Elvis' daughter to help his image.

Elvis never would have had to do that. Ever.

I know more about MJ that I will Elvis, and I can gaurantee that for the majority of those my age and younger. Also, abroad, as many of stated, MJ is big. Even my dad, a 50+ year old Vietnamese immigrant knows and loves MJ (would play heal the world on his guitar when I was growing up), and vaguely knows Elvis. MJ is a bigger icon period, and as time goes by he will continue to be. Nothing Elvis has done will ever top Thriller.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Elvis was, unfortunately. There aren't too many things that grate on my nerves more than Elvis impersonators. I hate them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elvis will always be a bigger icon than MJ.

Musically Elvis outsold MJ and played over 1,100 concerts.

Additionally Elvis starred in 31 movies and was a top box office draw and one of Hollywood's highest paid actors.

MJ may have had a longer career, but he will always be second fiddle to Elvis.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;2824857 said:
Elvis never married a Jackson as a publicity stunt to revive his fading legacy.

What?

That's not why Michael married Lisa Marie.

She and Michael met for the first time in the 1970s. It is well known that she and Michael became very close when he was on trial for Molestation. Not being closed to his family, Michael leaned on Lisa Marie for emotional support.

Furthermore, they got married in the Dominican Republic secretly and denied that they were married for several months.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2824881 said:
I know more about MJ that I will Elvis, and I can gaurantee that for the majority of those my age and younger. Also, abroad, as many of stated, MJ is big. Even my dad, a 50+ year old Vietnamese immigrant knows and loves MJ (would play heal the world on his guitar when I was growing up), and vaguely knows Elvis. MJ is a bigger icon period, and as time goes by he will continue to be. Nothing Elvis has done will ever top Thriller.
Your Dad never heard of Elvis? I highly doubt this.

I love how a younger generation can't discuss a topic intelligently.

There were no music videos in Elvis' day sweety. I suppose Elvis could have sparked Jackie Kennedy to pimp himself, but he didn't have to.

Gospel albums. Elvis sold them.

Country albums. Elvis sold them.

Rock n Roll albums. Elvis sold them.

Movies. Elvis sold them.

He sold when recording media was far inferior to today. Vinyl records and 8 track tapes are far inferior in sound quality to CDs and MP3.

I'm sorry that you can't grasp how big Elvis was in a time when the media was not all over anyone like they are today.

I'm not saying Michael is small as you seem to be thinking. I am saying Elvis was bigger and the time frame and accessability proves it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
So Elvis > Mike because Mike died awash in debt :eek: ?

The guy flat out didn't know how to manage his money, this has nothing to do with how big of an icon he was.

Also, why would anybody visit the house in Gary where the Jacksons' grew up? They haven't lived in Gary in decades.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2824891 said:
What?

That's not why Michael married Lisa Marie.

She and Michael met for the first time in the 1970s. It is well known that she and Michael became very close when he was on trial for Molestation. Not being closed to his family, Michael leaned on Lisa Marie for emotional support.

Furthermore, they got married in the Dominican Republic secretly and denied that they were married for several months.
Oh yeah, it was true love.

:wink2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2824897 said:
So Elvis > Mike because Mike died awash in debt :eek: ?

The guy flat out didn't know how to manage his money, this has nothing to do with how big of an icon he was.

Also, why would anybody visit the house in Gary where the Jacksons' grew up? They haven't lived in Gary in decades.
They visit the house because he was an icon. People visit a house in Winterset, Iowa too. Over a 100 years ago a guy named Marion Michael Morrison was born in that house. You know him as John Wayne.

I'm not saying Michael is not an icon. Why can't you grasp that? You're an intelligent man.

VietCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2824893 said:
Your Dad never heard of Elvis? I highly doubt this.

I love how a younger generation can't discuss a topic intelligently.

There were no music videos in Elvis' day sweety. I suppose Elvis could have sparked Jackie Kennedy to pimp himself, but he didn't have to.

Gospel albums. Elvis sold them.

Country albums. Elvis sold them.

Rock n Roll albums. Elvis sold them.

Movies. Elvis sold them.

He sold when recording media was far inferior to today. Vinyl records and 8 track tapes are far inferior in sound quality to CDs and MP3.

I'm sorry that you can't grasp how big Elvis was in a time when the media was not all over anyone like they are today.

I'm not saying Michael is small as you seem to be thinking. I am saying Elvis was bigger and the time frame and accessability proves it.

I didn't say my dad didn't know elvis, I said he knew him vaguely, but loves MJ.

As much as you wish otherwise, Elvis's fans are slowly dwindling. Those that grew up listening to MJ are still in their prime. That is the difference, and why MJ will be bigger than Elvis.

Even though Mj's numbers have gone up in the past days, just looking at view counts on youtube, and you can see the difference when comparing MJ to Elvis.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I'm not claiming that you are saying he isn't an icon.

Im just chiming in on the question on who was bigger, Elvis or Michael.

You say Elvis, I say Michael.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2824905 said:
I didn't say my dad didn't know elvis, I said he knew him vaguely, but loves MJ.

As much as you wish otherwise, Elvis's fans are slowly dwindling. Those that grew up listening to MJ are still in their prime. That is the difference, and why MJ will be bigger than Elvis.

Your dad didn't know much about Elvis?

VietCowboy

Reaction score
Jon88;2824907 said:
Your dad didn't know much about Elvis?

why would he? We didn't come to the US until 1990, years after Elvis died. He may know of elvis, but it's not like he grew up listening to Elvis in Vietnam.