MM - 0% Chance He's Replaced

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I’ve read plenty of ‘MM goes if he underperforms in the playoffs’

Nope. Not going to happen. I know the ‘Post Season Is All That Matters’ crowd will chime in, and they’ll be wrong.

- First 3 consecutive 12 win seasons in almost 30 years

- More importantly, only one team had a better regular season record than us this year. Only 4 teams in the league won 12+, three of them were in the NFC.

The playoffs aren’t the crap shoot that MLB post season is, but playoff game spreads are tight. We’re only a 7 point favorite over GB. This league is designed from the ground up to create parity.

I think Dallas wins by 10+, but it’s the NFL. The Packers aren’t cupcakes and every player on their team gets paid for a reason. Also, now the illness bug is hitting teams. If 4-6 of our starters have the flu, we’re going to have problems.

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This notion that if MM loses in the playoffs he gets fired is weird, especially since some think that will be a good thing.

The Jones boys will hire the next guy, just like the half dozen guys you wanted them to fire before MM. You'll post your fantasy threads about coaches who would never work under the Jones boys, then you'll get another desperate guy who is hoping for a chance, or another chance. Wade, JG, McCarthy - that's what you'll get.

"I'd HiRe bEliChiCk." "i'D hIrE tOmLiN." Guys like that aren't going to work under Jerry's thumb. How many coaches do you need to see it?

Blitzen

Reaction score

Nope. Not going to happen. I know the ‘Post Season Is All That Matters’ crowd will chime in, and they’ll be wrong.

- More importantly, only one team had a better regular season record than us this year. Only 4 teams in the league won 12+, three of them were in the NFC.

The playoffs aren’t the crap shoot that MLB post season is, but playoff game spreads are tight. We’re only a 7 point favorite over GB. This league is designed from the ground up to create parity.

I think Dallas wins by 10+, but it’s the NFL. The Packers aren’t cupcakes and every player on their team gets paid for a reason. Also, now the illness bug is hitting teams. If 4-6 of our starters have the flu, we’re going to have problems.

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
I’d believe more in parity if Tom Brady had not just retired with 7 Super Bowl trophies and a crapload of other AFCCG appearances and wins. Ditto with where the Chiefs have been the last 5 seasons.

I think the league does have more parity in the upper middle to lower third teams. It just does not come into play much in the playoffs-where the top 3 seeds have always dominated the bulk of postseasons since forever.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on how ugly the loss is, assuming there will be a loss and
If he doesn't make the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game
TOAST

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I’d believe more in parity if Tom Brady had not just retired with 7 Super Bowl trophies and a crapload of other AFCCG appearances and wins. Ditto with where the Chiefs have been the last 5 seasons.

I think the league does have more parity in the upper middle to lower third teams. It just does not come into play much in the playoffs-where the top 3 seeds have always dominated the bulk of postseasons since forever.
I'll give you that, under the two-bye system, there was more inequity when it came to opportunities for a deep playoff run. That really wasn't what I was referencing, though I think the NFL was fine with the Pats and Chiefs making deep runs. They're excellent draws re: ratings. Now that we have a single bye, it will be more difficult (obv) for a #2 seed to have the same playoff results consistency.

I don't believe the NFL is as concerned with who makes it to the SB as much as they are making certain that as many teams as possible stay relevant in the playoff hunt for as long as possible during the regular season. The bottom third of the league has the opportunity to change every year with the current system (see: Texans). There will always be teams that are poorly run that just won't have the same opportunity for success as teams that boast better management.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
If they lose in the wildcard I believe he’s going to be let go. They are playing an inferior team at home. There is absolutely no reason to lose this game. It would be a complete failure.
That's just not true. First, it would depend on why we lost the game. We'll see where the final number ends up, but the Cowboys opened as a 7-point favorite. GB may be 'inferior., bnut the most skilled oddsmakers in the galaxy say they are inferior by one TD. Let's say Dak goes down in the first quarter with an injury or can't play for some reason. Or imagine if we got another 'Dez caught it' call. Or got jobbed by multiple questionable penalties or weird plays (Lamb fumbles in the EZ, phantom tripping call, etc). A 7 point swing caused by abberant event is nothing.

If you think we should simply hammer the Packers by 30, then you'll never concede any of the above points, but that sort of 'we should beat a team like the Packers by 2 TDs plus) is fantasy, even if we do it (we were 2 TD faves over Washington).

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If they lose in the wildcard I believe he’s going to be let go. They are playing an inferior team at home. There is absolutely no reason to lose this game. It would be a complete failure.
Gotta agree.

Especially with Bill B leaving NE.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I agree with the thread title, there is zero chance.

So it should be, he has been excellent from day 1. Anybody wanting him gone is very foolish.
Not foolish.

Just wanting to see playoff wins.

It’s a different level of football.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Forgot to add one additional scenario:

Let's imagine that we play a game and there are zero turnovers by either team. I've done the analysis and posted it here before: If an NFL team scores 28 points, their expected win percentage is ~80%. If they score 35 points, that number shoots up to over 97%. Imagine that we go out and put up 35 points on GB and they beat us 38-35. You can't fire MM. He did his job - he doesn't call defensive plays and effectively has zero control over the defense. You might consider firing DQ, but that wouldn't be popular, either.

IF we were to lose to any team in any round, the 'why we lost' matters with regard to decisions about retaining the HC.

JBS

Reaction score
7 point spread is a lot. Take a look at al log the other spreads

Parity in the nfl is a myth. You hit the nail on the head. Parity exists in baseball , not in football. Year over year, sure , there is parity. When is the last time a top team in the nfl won the super bowl ? NYG 10 years ago? It’s a myth

slick325

Reaction score
Well, Jerry Jones is intimating that there is more than a 0% chance. When asked about Big Mike's future he was quoted as saying, "We'll see how each playoff game goes."

If McCarthy has his team ready to play at home and keeps the home winning streak alive, he will be rightfully safe. Have the team prepared at home, Big Mike.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
One thing I learned very quickly in the business world, and that is what the NFL is, is that the past doesn’t matter. It’s what have you done for me lately. It’s great that we have three seasons like this. It’s great that it’s the first time in 30 years. But don’t fool yourself, the climate will change extremely fast if the Cowboys blow the wildcard round.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
7 point spread is a lot. Take a look at al log the other spreads

Parity in the nfl is a myth. You hit the nail on the head. Parity exists in baseball , not in football. Year over year, sure , there is parity. When is the last time a top team in the nfl won the super bowl ? NYG 10 years ago? It’s a myth
Tom Brady’s Bucs were a wildcard team when they won the SB in 2020. The Saints won the division that year

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that Jerry has not indicated or even hinted that MM will be back next year suggest there is a chance, however slight it may be. To suggest there is zero chance is absurd.