MM - 0% Chance He's Replaced

coult44

Reaction score
I’ve read plenty of ‘MM goes if he underperforms in the playoffs’

Nope. Not going to happen. I know the ‘Post Season Is All That Matters’ crowd will chime in, and they’ll be wrong.

- First 3 consecutive 12 win seasons in almost 30 years

- More importantly, only one team had a better regular season record than us this year. Only 4 teams in the league won 12+, three of them were in the NFC.

The playoffs aren’t the crap shoot that MLB post season is, but playoff game spreads are tight. We’re only a 7 point favorite over GB. This league is designed from the ground up to create parity.

I think Dallas wins by 10+, but it’s the NFL. The Packers aren’t cupcakes and every player on their team gets paid for a reason. Also, now the illness bug is hitting teams. If 4-6 of our starters have the flu, we’re going to have problems.

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
There are less than 10% of people in here that have a problem with him. I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As much as fans are in love with McCarthy at the moment that will drastically change if we lose to Green Bay at home. That will be the second home playoff loss for the Cowboys under McCarthy to a team they were favored against. A one and done certainty wouldn’t sit well with the Joneses. At some point these 12-5 seasons will grow old if they’re not leading to playoff success.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Forgot to add one additional scenario:

Let's imagine that we play a game and there are zero turnovers by either team. I've done the analysis and posted it here before: If an NFL team scores 28 points, their expected win percentage is ~80%. If they score 35 points, that number shoots up to over 97%. Imagine that we go out and put up 35 points on GB and they beat us 38-35. You can't fire MM. He did his job - he doesn't call defensive plays and effectively has zero control over the defense. You might consider firing DQ, but that wouldn't be popular, either.

IF we were to lose to any team in any round, the 'why we lost' matters with regard to decisions about retaining the HC.
To me, you hit on the conundrum right here. If McCarthy were to be fired, the most likely successor would be Dan Quinn -- an individual who very likely would have played a significant hand in the very defeat that led to McCarthy being fired and Quinn being handed the job. How are we getting better by doing this?

And I don't see the Joneses going outside the organization and doing a complete re-boot of a team that has strung together 3-straight 12-win seasons.

Hopefully, this discussion is for naught after we reel off 4 straight postseason wins ... :flagwave:

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Look what he's done with Dak. Hot seat to MVP candidate. That is enough to keep him. If your QB is playing at the level Dak is, you're always a contender. 3× 12 win seasons, 2× division Champs, #2 seed in this year's playoffs. Why would we replace this man? Especially so soon? Who's going to come in and do a better job?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jerry will fire MM , and put a disastrous 'new offensive guru' for 10 years . for example garrett or kellen moore .

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jerry will fire MM , and put a disastrous 'new offensive guru' for 10 years . for example garrett or kellen moore .
whoah whoah WHOAH...metioning anything like JG being the HC has to be grounds for strict punishment on the site...mods this man needs to be put on the stretcher until he recognises the evil of his ways..

erod

Reaction score

Nope. Not going to happen. I know the ‘Post Season Is All That Matters’ crowd will chime in, and they’ll be wrong.

- More importantly, only one team had a better regular season record than us this year. Only 4 teams in the league won 12+, three of them were in the NFC.

The playoffs aren’t the crap shoot that MLB post season is, but playoff game spreads are tight. We’re only a 7 point favorite over GB. This league is designed from the ground up to create parity.

I think Dallas wins by 10+, but it’s the NFL. The Packers aren’t cupcakes and every player on their team gets paid for a reason. Also, now the illness bug is hitting teams. If 4-6 of our starters have the flu, we’re going to have problems.

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
Dan Quinn is leaving, and Jerry loves him some Dan Quinn.

If this thing goes splat, Jerry might just hand the reins to Quinn and find an OC.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
Jerry kept Garrett here for 9.5 years.
Mac has had much more success
No way Jerry fires Mac

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
I don't think there's zero chance. I think it depends on how they play next week. If they implode, then I think there's at least a 50/50 chance of a change. If it's a close loss, then excuses will be made and the Joneses will lean on the back-to-back-to-back 12-5 seasons. I think if we win the first week, then he stays no matter what happens the second week.

Majic

Reaction score
I think there is more of a chance of DQ going vs MM... Which is ok by me, because then we give Harris the DC position and no risk losing a young defensive mind who is having a fantastic year.
Where exactly is DQ going?
No team has requested an interview as of yet.
Atlanta, Carolina, Washington, LA Chargers all looking elsewhere.

TheCritic

Reaction score
So MM leads the way to an NFC East title, 3 12 win seasons in a row, a #2 NFC playoff seed and all some of you can think about is firing the coach. SMH

Creeper

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe Jerry would fire MM after three years of success after 10 years of mediocrity with his previous coach.

If Dallas loses to Green Bay it will be unexpected but we'll have to see ho wit comes down. If the defense fails as the did against Miami and almost did against Detroit, then maybe it is Quinn who deserves to be let go.

Honestly, when you look at the defense now, I think it is quite an accomplishment that the Cowboys won 12 and the division.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Where exactly is DQ going?
No team has requested an interview as of yet.
Atlanta, Carolina, Washington, LA Chargers all looking elsewhere.
I am sure he will get a look in the off season.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
thats too logical & reasonable ., this is Jerry we are talking about .
Jerry is very consistent, sometimes to a fault. No idea what you mean. He almost never makes rash, illogical, unreasonable, or unpredictable decisions whether you agree with his actions or not.

That’s why it would take a colossal failure that is directly MM’s fault for him to lose his job. For example, if Lamb fumbles through the end zone and then the refs call a phantom tripping penalty and we lose, that’s not on MM. It wouldn’t be a reflection on his coaching and he’d keep his job. If the OFFENSE comes out completely flat and can’t score, that’ll be a problem. If the offense puts up 35 and the defense doesn’t pull their weight and we lose, MM stays.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Again, if they lose, it will depend on why and how they lost.
Jerry hinted at it in his recent interview. The out is there. So he’s definitely considering it if the team chokes early.

Just wish he’d tell reporters the right thing instead of talking anything that might feel like undermining.

At least he’s professionally trained these days by public relations, it must’ve drove Jimmy nuts back in the day.

McCarthyMustGo

Reaction score
McCarthy job may be safe but of the 7 coaches in the NFC playoffs I take everyone over McCarthy.