MM - 0% Chance He's Replaced

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This notion that if MM loses in the playoffs he gets fired is weird, especially since some think that will be a good thing.

The Jones boys will hire the next guy, just like the half dozen guys you wanted them to fire before MM. You'll post your fantasy threads about coaches who would never work under the Jones boys, then you'll get another desperate guy who is hoping for a chance, or another chance. Wade, JG, McCarthy - that's what you'll get.

"I'd HiRe bEliChiCk." "i'D hIrE tOmLiN." Guys like that aren't going to work under Jerry's thumb. How many coaches do you need to see it?
First - Many of our fans don’t realize Jerry doesn’t think like most fans. He doesn’t hire head coaches based primarily on who gives his team the best chance to win. His first consideration is how comfortable he is with a coach and if that coach will allow him to be involved in everything.

Secondly - Jerry hates to change HCs unless they are absolutely necessary. Even after a decade of Jason Garrett with only 3 playoff appearances and 2 wild card wins, he still had to be coerced by his oldest son to let Garrett go. With Big Mac providing 3 straight 12 win playoff teams, Jerry will be very hesitant to change, regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

All this McCarthy will be fired talk is IMO fan talk and media click bait.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Im happy with the work McCarthy has done for the team and barring a loss to GB, I expect this to all be a moot point. I’m not thrilled with every decision he makes but the culture of the team, the rhythm and structure of the approach to preparation and practice, and the quality work of his assistant coaches are all solid.

It’s very unlikely he is replaced but if he is, give me Belichik. You have to understand that you’re going to get Josh McDaniel as the OC, because that reunion is coming.

Our defense would be amazing imo. You also have to accept that you get both of his sons who will coach linebackers and safeties.

I’m not in favor of Quinn as head coach and I think he’ll go elsewhere and take Harris with him.

Majic

Reaction score
You are crazy to think this or naive …

I'm wrong because he is getting interviews.
What I mean to say is that I don't think he is at the top of the list for any team looking for a new head coach. According to Tony Romo earlier in the season DQ will be a head coach next season.
Where? I think many candidates are now ahead of him. Of the DEF Co-ordinators I think both Morris and Macdonald are. Vrabel (if available) Harbaugh and Belichick also

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I’ve read plenty of ‘MM goes if he underperforms in the playoffs’

Nope. Not going to happen. I know the ‘Post Season Is All That Matters’ crowd will chime in, and they’ll be wrong.

- First 3 consecutive 12 win seasons in almost 30 years

- More importantly, only one team had a better regular season record than us this year. Only 4 teams in the league won 12+, three of them were in the NFC.

The playoffs aren’t the crap shoot that MLB post season is, but playoff game spreads are tight. We’re only a 7 point favorite over GB. This league is designed from the ground up to create parity.

I think Dallas wins by 10+, but it’s the NFL. The Packers aren’t cupcakes and every player on their team gets paid for a reason. Also, now the illness bug is hitting teams. If 4-6 of our starters have the flu, we’re going to have problems.

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
I believe the only chance MM gets fired is if they play a totally incompetent game against the Packers. If they play a good game, but the Pack wins one a flukey weird ref call (like the Dez catch/no-catch), then JJ's gonna cut him some slack. MM has already proven himself to be a big upgrade over Garrett. (Sorry to state the obvious.)

TheHerd

Reaction score
I’ve read plenty of ‘MM goes if he underperforms in the playoffs’

Nope. Not going to happen. I know the ‘Post Season Is All That Matters’ crowd will chime in, and they’ll be wrong.

- First 3 consecutive 12 win seasons in almost 30 years

- More importantly, only one team had a better regular season record than us this year. Only 4 teams in the league won 12+, three of them were in the NFC.

The playoffs aren’t the crap shoot that MLB post season is, but playoff game spreads are tight. We’re only a 7 point favorite over GB. This league is designed from the ground up to create parity.

I think Dallas wins by 10+, but it’s the NFL. The Packers aren’t cupcakes and every player on their team gets paid for a reason. Also, now the illness bug is hitting teams. If 4-6 of our starters have the flu, we’re going to have problems.

GO COWBOYS!!

OAO….
Is the flu hitting other teams? I haven't heard of any of our opponents being sick. Seems like the Cowboys are in a hot zone of an outbreak.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I believe the only chance MM gets fired is if they play a totally incompetent game against the Packers. If they play a good game, but the Pack wins one a flukey weird ref call (like the Dez catch/no-catch), then JJ's gonna cut him some slack. MM has already proven himself to be a big upgrade over Garrett. (Sorry to state the obvious.)
exactly that's what i said 3 pages back.. if at home mike McCarthy gets gut punched by his old team and we lose. He might be gone the next day LOL . timing is right Harbaugh and BillB available could make an easier decision adding in DQ might leave anyway. i personally dont want DQ as the next HC so if we lose Sunday and DQ starts interviewing elsewhere jerry could easily pull the trigger and get in the mix as the top destination for the big time HCs who might be interested.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Jerry hinted at it in his recent interview. The out is there. So he’s definitely considering it if the team chokes early.

Just wish he’d tell reporters the right thing instead of talking anything that might feel like undermining.

At least he’s professionally trained these days by public relations, it must’ve drove Jimmy nuts back in the day.
Jerry clarified his comments today, something like ‘MM is under contract for next year. I couldn’t be more pleased with the job he’s done as our coach’.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Is the flu hitting other teams? I haven't heard of any of our opponents being sick. Seems like the Cowboys are in a hot zone of an outbreak.
I saw a string of players on other teams out due to illness last week, mostly on teams out of contention and no big name guys.

Ozone22

Reaction score
I will never say there 0% chance any coach will not be fired. Remember what happened to Jimmy Johnson after winning the SB?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry clarified his comments today, something like ‘MM is under contract for next year. I couldn’t be more pleased with the job he’s done as our coach’.
Yup. Quick damage control. He really does spend a lot of money and people on the public relations. It was interesting how he remarked about Jimmy going to the Ring of Honor, and how he was aware of the fan perception that he was purposely keeping him out even though that was not his intent. Allegedly. Someone is browsing the net, TV shows and social media and reporting back to him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Big Mike has to show us playoff wins.

Otherwise, DQ might be the HC in early Feb 2024.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Yup. Quick damage control. He really does spend a lot of money and people on the public relations. It was interesting how he remarked about Jimmy going to the Ring of Honor, and how he was aware of the fan perception that he was purposely keeping him out even though that was not his intent. Allegedly. Someone is browsing the net, TV shows and social media and reporting back to him.
Yep. These teams have had media relations personnel forever. It was just an easier job before the internet. No idea what the big deal was anyway. As a snippet, it may have sounded like one thing, but in context, it just wasn’t a controversial comment. He basically said, ‘I’m not thinking about that. I’m thinking about the next game’,

quickccc

Reaction score
Depends on how ugly the loss is, assuming there will be a loss and
If he doesn't make the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game
TOAST
if we get blown out by GB,.. the front office could definitely have a knee jerk reaction.

Somebody's head has to roll. HC, OC, or DC ...someone is gonna be made the scapegoat(s) .

ala last year's let go's per Kellen Moore ,..Joe Philibin, George Edwards, Leon Lett, .Skip Peete, etc.

My question would be if we fire the HC, ..what is Plan B ?
Who becomes his replacement vs unknown lead HC candidates ?

For every Demeco Ryans, there is a Nathan Hackett. .

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if we get blown out by GB,.. the front office could definitely have a knee jerk reaction.

Somebody's head has to roll. HC, OC, or DC ...someone is gonna be made the scapegoat(s) .

ala last year's let go's per Kellen Moore ,..Joe Philibin, George Edwards, Leon Lett, .Skip Peete, etc.

My question would be if we fire the HC, ..what is Plan B ?
Who becomes his replacement vs unknown lead HC candidates ?

For every Demeco Ryans, there is a Nathan Hackett. .
Dan Quinn was retained and paid well for a reason