CFZ MM's West Coast Personnel with the Packers

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I did some research last night and tried to see what MM's skilled positions personnel looked like at his time with the Packers:

-Never had a great running back: Ryan Grant, Eddie Lacy, James Starks were all average at best at the position.
-The same can be said about their TE's, outside of Finley, Cooke, a bunch of Jag's.
-Their WR room was Donald Driver/Greg Jennings, then became Jordy Nelson/Randall Cobb/James Jones, where a young Adams replaced Jones late in MM time.

-I believe (opinion) MM is going to tweak his scheme and become more run first oriented. He is going to devise the best way to play to Dak's strengths. He may not had great running backs in GB, cause why would he take the ball out of Rodgers hands. He knows how to use a strong ground attack from his days as a OC with the Saints.

-Front office job now is to find players that fit this scheme. High-end route runners, that get quick separation. If they do decide to become more run first, adding another TE becomes necessary, especially if Shultz departs. Target running backs who are dual threats, I aspect more screens and be more apart of the passing game.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I did some research last night and tried to see what MM's skilled positions personnel looked like at his time with the Packers:

-Never had a great running back: Ryan Grant, Eddie Lacy, James Starks were all average at best at the position.
-The same can be said about their TE's, outside of Finley, Cooke, a bunch of Jag's.
-Their WR room was Donald Driver/Greg Jennings, then became Jordy Nelson/Randall Cobb/James Jones, where a young Adams replaced Jones late in MM time.

-I believe (opinion) MM is going to tweak his scheme and become more run first oriented. He is going to devise the best way to play to Dak's strengths. He may not had great running backs in GB, cause why would he take the ball out of Rodgers hands. He knows how to use a strong ground attack from his days as a OC with the Saints.

-Front office job now is to find players that fit this scheme. High-end route runners, that get quick separation. If they do decide to become more run first, adding another TE becomes necessary, especially if Shultz departs. Target running backs who are dual threats, I aspect more screens and be more apart of the passing game.
I believe it's smart for the team to put a high emphasis in developing a great running game whether Dak is the quarterback or not. Almost all quarterbacks do much, much better if they have a good running game. It means they don't have to do everything themselves. They don't have to hit a pinpoint-accurate pass on every play. If the running game is outstanding, defenses start to sell out to try to stop it. Then the quarter back has much more open receivers to pass to. The improved running game benefited Romo massively in 2014, and then it benefited Dak in 2016.

There are some quarterbacks who can thrive in a pass happy offense, fading back or shotgunning to pass on almost every play. Most can't. Most need that run support. Thus, a great running game will help Dak, or whoever replaces him.

JBS

Reaction score
I think it’s a reach on your part to assume he’s going more run based. I’m willing to bet that’s not going to happen.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well for one Lacy was a really good back IMO. Also, GB would draft a WR every year. That’s where they found all of those studs. That philosophy left when he did and now Rogers has really no one to throw to.

I’m very excited to see a new offense. It’s been more than a decade!

BlueStar22

Reaction score
There's some really great Cowboys content creators who are breaking this stuff down.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've long felt that having a West Coast Offense would suit Dak's abilities to better advantage than what he's been tied to in the past. Hopefully, he'll be joined by some RBs with the ability to make runs after the pass a more frequent offensive advantage. Of course, it remains to be seen how Big Mike reacts to the pressures of serving as an OC and HC simultaneously. I'm hopeful for better things to come from it. The upcoming draft holds some excellent RBs for this staff to take advantage of. Let's hope one or two of them serves the offense well. In any event, it should be a fun ride.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well for one Lacy was a really good back IMO. Also, GB would draft a WR every year. That’s where they found all of those studs. That philosophy left when he did and now Rogers has really no one to throw to.

I’m very excited to see a new offense. It’s been more than a decade!
Lacy was never considered an elite back. They did hit on many receivers on day 2.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I've long felt that having a West Coast Offense would suit Dak's abilities to better advantage than what he's been tied to in the past. Hopefully, he'll be joined by some RBs with the ability to make runs after the pass a more frequent offensive advantage. Of course, it remains to be seen how Big Mike reacts to the pressures of serving as an OC and HC simultaneously. I'm hopeful for better things to come from it. The upcoming draft holds some excellent RBs for this staff to take advantage of. Let's hope one or two of them serves the offense well. In any event, it should be a fun ride.
Let's hope he does what Quinn did, modernizes his scheme for today's game. WCO to me is all about yards after the catch, the QB gets the ball out quickly and those receivers are expected to turn those 5 yards plays in chunk plays. Look how SFO runs their scheme and who they have.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

The question becomes, if MM is going to be more run-heavy, is what does Dallas do at the RB position? Zeke clearly is now more of a FB and Pollard is going to be coming off a bad lower leg break.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The question becomes, if MM is going to be more run-heavy, is what does Dallas do at the RB position? Zeke clearly is now more of a FB and Pollard is going to be coming off a bad lower leg break.
Not only is the draft loaded at the position this yr, but so is free agency. Great year to retool the position.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think it’s a reach on your part to assume he’s going more run based. I’m willing to bet that’s not going to happen.
maybe not run vs pass balance as this year KM did pretty well doing that but its what type of runs are called and when and sticking with the run to help set up the pass. KM was bad with that in bigger games aganst better defenses., his run schemes were basic and boring, the plays he called them lacked flow and abandoning them was to easy for him. we all agree KM didnt suck he was pretty darn good but his weekends can be strengthened with better scheme and experienced play caller in big games.

then the route trees and what pays to call in situational football can also improve.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m again hopeful that we will see the return of the fullback position on our roster this year. Both McCarthy and Solari have used the position in the past.
We will. He’ll be wearing #21….

MMObserver

Reaction score
The likelihood of Big Mac going to a "more run based offense" in 2023 is about the same as him wearing a size 38 belt next September.

This is a guy who was constantly criticized for abandoning the run during his 13-year run in Green Bay.

Big Mac kept Aaron Jones (and Jamal Williams who had >1,000 yards and 17 TDs for the Lions this season) on the bench in favor of converted WR Ty Montgomery.

No, he really did.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ins-baffling-usage-of-packers-rb-aaron-jones/