Twitter: MM: Zeke is still a "big time" player

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think he meant to say Zeke is still a “big” player.

Praxit

Reaction score
..just watch the film, even Henry is watching the film. ; )..

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Mccarthy says all the right things

Of course he'll say that. he ain't gonna be making JJ look like a complete idiot giving that contract to EE. JJ can do that all by himself. I think he knows who butters his bread, actually judging from his waistline, they put more than butter on that bread.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He is not a big time player anymore. Good maybe but not big time.

Let's put the team's starting quarterback and offensive line in front of him and see. If big time means one of the top running backs in the league, I'm not convinced he can't be that again. Is he going to turn into a home-run hitter? No. Can he be a back that has one of the top rushing titles and a big-time rushing average again? We'll see.

gimmesix

Reaction score
All he needs is 30 carries per game running behind 5 pro bowl line man with 3 first round WRs and a 40 million dollar QB. Then we good to go.

Put any back out there behind the line that we had to play this year and the results aren't likely to be very good.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Let's put the team's starting quarterback and offensive line in front of him and see. If big time means one of the top running backs in the league, I'm not convinced he can't be that again. Is he going to turn into a home-run hitter? No. Can he be a back that has one of the top rushing titles and a big-time rushing average again? We'll see.
Zeke is going into his 6th season. How many backs in the last 20 years have been superstars in their 6th season? Advanced stats for him have been on a steady decline. He is not quite done but will be in a couple seasons. I will also add Zeke is not Mr Health and Wellness.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Of course he'll say that. he ain't gonna be making JJ look like a complete idiot giving that contract to EE. JJ can do that all by himself. I think he knows who butters his bread, actually judging from his waistline, they put more than butter on that bread.
To be fair, Mac was Big in Green Bay, too.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Zeke is going into his 6th season. How many backs in the last 20 years have been superstars in their 6th season? Advanced stats for him have been on a steady decline. He is not quite done but will be in a couple seasons. I will also add Zeke is not Mr Health and Wellness.

It's possible. The only thing I said is that we need to keep the circumstances of this season in mind. There are also other backs who had a down year for various reasons and came back strong in their sixth season. He could easily have a couple more very good seasons in him.

I know that there are not many backs in the last 20 years to have been superstars in their sixth season, but it's kind of funny that both Emmitt Smith and Adrian Peterson had their best rushing seasons in their sixth year. I might can look up other players that had long careers that had similar success their sixth year, but I don't want to put that much effort into it.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's possible. The only thing I said is that we need to keep the circumstances of this season in mind. There are also other backs who had a down year for various reasons and came back strong in their sixth season. He could easily have a couple more very good seasons in him.

I know that there are not many backs in the last 20 years to have been superstars in their sixth season, but it's kind of funny that both Emmitt Smith and Adrian Peterson had their best rushing seasons in their sixth year. I might can look up other players that had long careers that had similar success their sixth year, but I don't want to put that much effort into it.

People get a narrative stuck in their heads and won't let go of it. You correctly point out that Emmitt's best season was his 6th. Perhaps even more impressively he had two 1300+ yard seasons in years 9 and 10 after being dead and buried (by the mediots) after down years in 7 and 8. Dickerson put up 1659 yards and 14 TDs in year 6. Tomlinson's best year was also year 6 when he put up 1800+ yards and 28 TDs. Curtis Martin had his best season 1697 yards in YEAR TEN!!! Marshall Faulk had his best season in year #6.. that's when he put up 1381 yards rushing and 1048 receiving. Barry Sanders had his 2000 yard season in year NINE.. OJ Simpson put up 1817 yards and 16 TDs in year 8.. in 14 games..

Seems like the true greats don't really give a rat's arse about this imaginary 6th year barrier. It will be really interesting to see if Zeke comes back up to his previous level of performance next year.. I think it will tell us a lot about where his career is headed. If he stays down then it's time to move on.. If he ramps it back up to the 1400+ level then he is what he was drafted to be.. a generational back who just had a bad year.. It happens.. The first thing we really need to do is figure out how to stop Moore from running him out of shotgun so damn much. He's a downhill runner.. we rob him of half his power (maybe more) when we run the stupid shotgun draw play..

ICP

Reaction score
What's he supposed to say, we're stuck with him either way for awhile

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And by “time” he meant “contract.”

Thomas82

Reaction score

Not to mention that AP was coming off an ACL and MCL tear in the previous season the year he ran for 2,000 yards.

Thomas82

Reaction score
People get a narrative stuck in their heads and won't let go of it. You correctly point out that Emmitt's best season was his 6th. Perhaps even more impressively he had two 1300+ yard seasons in years 9 and 10 after being dead and buried (by the mediots) after down years in 7 and 8. Dickerson put up 1659 yards and 14 TDs in year 6. Tomlinson's best year was also year 6 when he put up 1800+ yards and 28 TDs. Curtis Martin had his best season 1697 yards in YEAR TEN!!! Marshall Faulk had his best season in year #6.. that's when he put up 1381 yards rushing and 1048 receiving. Barry Sanders had his 2000 yard season in year NINE.. OJ Simpson put up 1817 yards and 16 TDs in year 8.. in 14 games..

Seems like the true greats don't really give a rat's arse about this imaginary 6th year barrier. It will be really interesting to see if Zeke comes back up to his previous level of performance next year.. I think it will tell us a lot about where his career is headed. If he stays down then it's time to move on.. If he ramps it back up to the 1400+ level then he is what he was drafted to be.. a generational back who just had a bad year.. It happens.. The first thing we really need to do is figure out how to stop Moore from running him out of shotgun so damn much. He's a downhill runner.. we rob him of half his power (maybe more) when we run the stupid shotgun draw play..

We also need Moore to actually commit to the running game. I also think it would help to put a fullback in front of Zeke.....not a backup halfback or a locking tight end, but an actual fullback.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is a good running back. He’s just not as good as he once was and certainly not as good as his contract would lead you to believe.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We also need Moore to actually commit to the running game. I also think it would help to put a fullback in front of Zeke.....not a backup halfback or a locking tight end, but an actual fullback.
This isn’t 1990.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I feel like a complete idiot for ever endorsing this clown.