MMQB's Al Breer thinks it's Marinelli on thin ice

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One thing we need to keep in mine, Jerry, Stephen, and Jason will evaluate personnel for the entire season....... not the last few games, many of us have focused on.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/nfl-coaches-black-monday-firings-hirings

3. Cowboys set to make changes, too. Jerry Jones has publicly proclaimed that Jason Garrett’s job is safe for 2018. He stopped short of giving the same assurance for Garrett’s assistants, and the list of those who won’t be examined closely next week is very short. I’m told plenty of assistant coaches have expiring contracts, which makes this an easy time for Dallas to overhaul the staff, if it so desires.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is the coach who appears to be on the thinnest ice, in part thanks to an inability to adjust on a game-to-game basis, something that showed up against an Eagles team that is very familiar to Dallas, and in how the Chargers and Packers easily roasted the Cowboys’ man-to-man looks earlier in the year. The Cowboys turned over a lot of personnel on that side of the ball, of course, and that’s part of where the problems were, but there’s also a feeling not enough was done to prop up rookies like Jourdan Lewis and Chidobe Awuzie, who were quickly thrown in the fire.

As for the offense, if the changes aren’t as big on the sideline, I’d expect there will be some significant ones coming on the field. Dez Bryant clearly has lost a step, and his ability to extend his prime will come down to whether or not he can adjust his game the way Larry Fitzgerald did a few years ago—becoming better at the little things, and dedicating himself through training and nutrition. Even if he does that, it’s clear Dallas needs to get more explosive, with Bryant not the downfield threat he once was. I’d expect an effort to fix that, and maybe add some depth to an offensive line that clearly missed Ron Leary and Doug Free.

There’s plenty of work to do for the Jones family. The good news? The guys they’ve had in place, and that includes Garrett and personnel czar Will McClay, have done a pretty good job reworking the team as they’ve gone the past few years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
One thing we need to keep in mine, Jerry, Stephen, and Jason will evaluate personnel for the entire season....... not the last few games, many of us have focused on.

3. Cowboys set to make changes, too. Jerry Jones has publicly proclaimed that Jason Garrett’s job is safe for 2018. He stopped short of giving the same assurance for Garrett’s assistants, and the list of those who won’t be examined closely next week is very short. I’m told plenty of assistant coaches have expiring contracts, which makes this an easy time for Dallas to overhaul the staff, if it so desires.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is the coach who appears to be on the thinnest ice, in part thanks to an inability to adjust on a game-to-game basis, something that showed up against an Eagles team that is very familiar to Dallas, and in how the Chargers and Packers easily roasted the Cowboys’ man-to-man looks earlier in the year. The Cowboys turned over a lot of personnel on that side of the ball, of course, and that’s part of where the problems were, but there’s also a feeling not enough was done to prop up rookies like Jourdan Lewis and Chidobe Awuzie, who were quickly thrown in the fire.

As for the offense, if the changes aren’t as big on the sideline, I’d expect there will be some significant ones coming on the field. Dez Bryant clearly has lost a step, and his ability to extend his prime will come down to whether or not he can adjust his game the way Larry Fitzgerald did a few years ago—becoming better at the little things, and dedicating himself through training and nutrition. Even if he does that, it’s clear Dallas needs to get more explosive, with Bryant not the downfield threat he once was. I’d expect an effort to fix that, and maybe add some depth to an offensive line that clearly missed Ron Leary and Doug Free.

There’s plenty of work to do for the Jones family. The good news? The guys they’ve had in place, and that includes Garrett and personnel czar Will McClay, have done a pretty good job reworking the team as they’ve gone the past few years.

Makes sense as far as what Jerry will do. With Linehan being tied to Garrett and the offense if he is going to fire anyone it will be the DC.

T-RO

Reaction score
If Marinelli and Linehan get fired while Garrett stays, prepare for another decade of mediocrity. I highly doubt any other decent coordinator will want to come here.

On the contrary. In Dallas the OC and DC have more power and control than on most teams. We don't attract good head coaches because of the authority structure--but we attract good coordinators.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Makes sense as far as what Jerry will do. With Linehan being tied to Garrett and the offense if he is going to fire anyone it will be the DC.

One thing for sure, more options if Martinelli is fired.

Kaiser

Reaction score
So Marinelli is to blame for the defense only in the Eagles, Packers and Chargers games that Sean Lee missed but not the games where they played well.

And for Jourdan Lewis playing early because Nolan Carroll tanked.

And for Awuzie being "thrown into the fire" in the first half of the season that he missed with injury.

No, this couldn't be clickbaity nonsense. This is King Solomon level wisdom. Has to be.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
With less too.

But I think he's done. Like Garrett, his in-game adjustments seem to be lacking. Also, he's either signing off on these guys or he's letting it happen so he needs to take some accountability with the lack of talent on defense.
Oh he sucks too but much better than the others

wick

Reaction score
We've actually improved defensively from last season, despite the roster turnover. We were 20th in ANY/A last year (6.4) and are 17th (6.1) this season. The main reason for the change in record is the drop in ANY/A on offense. We were 3rd last year (7.6) and are 16th (5.7) this season.

mardwin

Reaction score

Why is Jason Garrett even part of the evaluation process? Who is evaluating him?

The Natural

Reaction score

Garretts offense managed 15 points against the Eagles and Chargers combined :facepalm:

Dont get me wrong Marinelli has got to go too, I'm just laughing at him being the scapegoat for Garrett

Aven8

Reaction score
Marinelli is the only teacher/coach we have for crying out loud! While I would be fine with a change, I will be mad if this offense stays the course! That's what's broken. At least Marinelli has done something in the league. His Bear defense got to the SB along with the TB defense. Linny and JG have done squat!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Marinelli and Linehan get fired while Garrett stays, prepare for another decade of mediocrity. I highly doubt any other decent coordinator will want to come here.

Not so sure I agree with this.
I do not buy into the theory no coach wants to work for Jerry. Maybe a few but only a few. And that isn't because Jerry wants puppets.

So what OC would not want to come here with a very good OL. Though they took a step back this year. So an OC would want to show he can improve that.
One of the best RB's in the NFL and a HOF TE. he can show he can get him past the 1st down marker by a yard instead of short. LOL.
He will want his influence on Wr's, and speed WR's to show he can work with a young QB still learning, so can mold him into that QB that can make all or most of the throws.

They are competitors and want to show why they are deserving of being an OC. If a coach wants to shy away from that, and because of "jerry' then they do not belong in the NFL to begin with.

Hoever, you are point on with Jason, he will be the one keeping the team down.

Aven8

Reaction score
Not so sure I agree with this.
I do not buy into the theory no coach wants to work for Jerry. Maybe a few but only a few. And that isn't because Jerry wants puppets.

So what OC would not want to come here with a very good OL. Though they took a step back this year. So an OC would want to show he can improve that.
One of the best RB's in the NFL and a HOF TE. he can show he can get him past the 1st down marker by a yard instead of short. LOL.
He will want his influence on Wr's, and speed WR's to show he can work with a young QB still learning, so can mold him into that QB that can make all or most of the throws.

They are competitors and want to show why they are deserving of being an OC. If a coach wants to shy away from that, and because of "jerry' then they do not belong in the NFL to begin with.

Hoever, you are point on with Jason, he will be the one keeping the team down.

I would take the Gents coach, and his slicked back hair just to change the offense here. I want the JG offense gone forever!!