MMQB's Al Breer thinks it's Marinelli on thin ice

sideon

Reaction score
You know when this team’s playoff chances were effectively dashed? When they lost back to back home games against the Packers and Rams; games in which the offense dominated, scoring over 30 points and gaining over 400 yards; games in which the team had a two score lead; games in which the Cowboys had over a 90 percent chance of winning; games in which the defense could’ve forced a punt or two more in the second half.

So don’t give me crap about Rod getting the short end of some proverbial stick. How about you not play 10 yards off every down, hoping the quarterback makes a mistake? How about you learn to design and implement blitz packages? I mean, Jim Johnson has to have an old book of notes floating around somewhere.
The problem with your logic is that it excuses the offense no showing the second half of both games.

Slim_JD

Reaction score
Rod's Defense was ok this year for what he had. During that 3 game losing streak it wasn't even the D. It was the offense that couldn't score more than 7 points a game

Sydla

Reaction score
I wonder if firing Linehan is something Garrett is fighting.

Linehan is perfectly content operating in the framework of Garrett's offense. Garrett wouldn't want some newcomer coming in here and being given latitude to install a different offense.

It's why firing Garrett is the smarter, wiser, easier decision.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Truth be told, Linehan scheme is Jason Garrett's scheme. Remember he was hand pick by Garrett. Unless you changing schemes, ( which I doubt ) who you gonna replace him with...........Norv Turner?

I would.

At the very least, Turner wouldn't be getting pass happy with a team built for the run.

First and goal at the 3? Norv Turner would be giving the ball to Zeke. No passing, no repeatedly stupid run-pass options.

If for nothing else, Norv Turner would be hammering the ball with the running game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if firing Linehan is something Garrett is fighting.

Linehan is perfectly content operating in the framework of Garrett's offense. Garrett wouldn't want some newcomer coming in here and being given latitude to install a different offense.

It's why firing Garrett is the smarter, wiser, easier decision.

If Garrett is even opening his mouth at this point, it's a fireable offense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Defense - 30% of resources: Ranked 11th
Offense - 70% of resources: Ranked 14th

Fire the Defense guy.

But your head coach is offense and the scheme is from his own playbook. Pretty sure he's more confident fixing his side than D.

JBS

Reaction score
I'm surprised so many are defending rod..he sucks too..did he do a better job than the offensive staff? I would not say so..was it close? Sure..better end of the season for sure..but not the entire season..

End of story is that they all suck equally

nycowboyfan

Reaction score
What a joke. Rod does a good job. I wish he was more aggressive but he’s doing a decent job considereing the talent that’s handed to him.

The O was trash this year. Poor execution and poor game plans. Linehan is def running Jason’s offense. No creativity. No adjustments to what the D is playing. How about a pick play? Everybody else on the league runs them.

Jason G and the entire staff need to go. Not the D coord. Not the O coord.

He’s not great at Xs and Os and he’s not a great motivator. What is his skill?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I personally think Marinelli is better than Linehan and Garrett combined. Working with a new secondary, without Lee, without one of his best DLinemen for a huge part of the season. Meanwhile, Linehan and Garrett are over there running plays from the prehistoric era with a big tablet. I wonder what's on that tablet Linehan has, probably a menu to Applebees.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
With all the hair brain things I read coming from some Cowboys fans, I care very little about instituting their suggested changes. Likewise, I know what I would like to see in the way of changes but doubt my 2 cents is of much interest to others. I don't see much of what I believed being echoed in the posts I've read so far. For now, "keep your powder dry." is the approach I will adopt going into the offseason. I'll reconsider when the draft draws closer.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'm surprised so many are defending rod..he sucks too..did he do a better job than the offensive staff? I would not say so..was it close? Sure..better end of the season for sure..but not the entire season..

End of story is that they all suck equally

Dallas defense is eleven overall, with a bit more investment this offseason pretty sure they are a top quarter defense.