MNF Game Thread - Giants @ Saints

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4276047 said:
Well cause there is really a pretty big difference between Romo and Brees, and IMO the comparison isn't really all that close especially over the last few years.

I think the only real difference is Brees is more consistent. That's not a wide gulf, but it is a gulf.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
gimmesix;4276054 said:
So you're going to tell me when Romo is ON HIS GAME, he isn't on the same level as Brees, Brady or Rodgers?

If Romo is on his game and Brees, Brady or Rodgers are just "good" that day, yes, Romo is on their level. Romo doesnt have the top gear the other three have, though. At their best, they are better. It's not just the numbers either, it's the throws they make and the ease with which the game seems to come to them. At times it's like there isnt a defense on the field.

wileedog

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276070 said:
If Romo is on his game and Brees, Brady or Rodgers are just "good" that day, yes, Romo is on their level. Romo doesnt have whatever the top gear the other three have, though. At their best, they are better.

No shame in that either. Those 3 and Peyton are the best of this generation. Being a step below is still pretty darn good.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
gimmesix;4276068 said:
I think the only real difference is Brees is more consistent. That's not a wide gulf, but it is a gulf.

Consistency means alot for a QB. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers just have a higher ceiling of being great, plus they all of course have what Romo doesn't.

A ring or two.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
gimmesix;4276068 said:

Explain how he is more consistent.

This is calling the grass on the other side greener.

He has thrown 11 picks this year. Has 1 3 interception game, and three 2 interception games, and has only 4 games without interceptions.

12 career games throwing 3 or more picks.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog;4276074 said:
No shame in that either. Those 3 and Peyton are the best of this generation. Being a step below is still pretty darn good.

Of course not, those three guys will all retire as top 7-8 QBs of all-time.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276070 said:
If Romo is on his game and Brees, Brady or Rodgers are just "good" that day, yes, Romo is on their level. Romo doesnt have the top gear the other three have, though. At their best, they are better. It's not just the numbers either, it's the throws they make and the ease with which the game seems to come to them. At times it's like there isnt a defense on the field.

I don't agree. I think when Romo is playing his best, he's equal to their best. I don't see a gear that they have that Romo doesn't.

The only difference I see is consistency.

benson

Reaction score
Cmp Att Yds TDs Int
T. Romo 22 34 312 1 0

Cmp Att Yds TDs Int
D. Brees 29 45 298 1 1

When both were on the same field together, I'd say Romo can play with Brees.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4276075 said:
Consistency means alot for a QB. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers just have a higher ceiling of being great, plus they all of course have what Romo doesn't.

A ring or two.

Other than Brady none of these guys have more than one ring. Brees and Rodgers have only won rings in the last few years.

2009 and 2010.

Brees' career qb rating is 92.5, 84.9 in san diego.

Tony Romo has a higher touchdown percentage, and the same career interception rating.

Before 2009 Drew Brees' playoff record was 1-2....

gimmesix

Reaction score

A ring or two.

I don't get the "higher ceiling" thing. Are you saying that no matter how well Romo plays, he can't be on their level? If so, I disagree completely.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
wileedog;4276074 said:
Aikman was not the most explosive QB in the 90s stat-wise, but he had all the jewelry.

Just like Roethlisberger. Who cares if Romo's not the top 4 quarterbacks? As long as he gets us jewelry, and plenty of em.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You guys have created a mythology over these quarterbacks.

Brees has been a starter in the nfl since 2002 yet has only made it to the playoffs 4 times. Was 1 and done twice, lost in the second round once.

wileedog

Reaction score

A ring or two.

I hate the ring argument with a passion. I can guarantee you neither Brees or Rodgers have one if Wade was their coach for the last 3 years.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
gimmesix;4276081 said:
I don't agree. I think when Romo is playing his best, he's equal to their best. I don't see a gear that they have that Romo doesn't.

The only difference I see is consistency.

I have never seen Tony Romo do what Drew Brees did tonight. I'm not talking numbers, I'm just talking about how he played the game. The Giants never had a chance, the ball was on a rope all night and it just came out so quickly. He made right read after right read and did so with impossibly precise quickness and precision.

If Romo ever plays a game like Brees did tonight, I'll have a completely different opinon of him knowing he is capable of that. It's just magical to watch.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276123 said:
I have never seen Tony Romo do what Drew Brees did tonight. I'm not talking numbers, I'm just talking about how he played the game. The Giants never had a chance, the ball was on a rope all night and it just came out so quickly. He made right read after right read and did so with impossibly precise quickness and precision.

I guess you didn't see the Bills game...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276125 said:
I guess you didn't see the Bills game...

Not even a comparison. Romo was great that day. Brees was something else entirely tonight. What Brees did tonight makes me wonder what makes a select few human beings capable of athletic feats such as that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276076 said:
Explain how he is more consistent.

This is calling the grass on the other side greener.

He has thrown 11 picks this year. Has 1 3 interception game, and three 2 interception games, and has only 4 games without interceptions.

12 career games throwing 3 or more picks.

Brees is completing over 70 percent of his passes this year. He completed 68 percent last year and over 70 percent the year before.

He also had 33 or more TD passes the previous three years and is on his way past that mark again this year.

Romo's numbers aren't equal to that because he isn't quite as consistent. That doesn't mean there's much separating them, but Romo is "off" more than Brees is.

The Panch

Reaction score
benson;4276091 said:
Cmp Att Yds TDs Int
T. Romo 22 34 312 1 0

Cmp Att Yds TDs Int
D. Brees 29 45 298 1 1

When both were on the same field together, I'd say Romo can play with Brees.
The other time they played...

Cmp Att Yds TDs Int
26/38 384 5-0....Brees

16/33 249 1-2....Romo

I love Tony, but Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning he is not.