MNF Game Thread - Giants @ Saints

wileedog

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276125 said:
I guess you didn't see the Bills game...

I agree Romo has had games like that.

Brees and Rodgers and Brady just seem to have them more often.

(although Brees *does* get way more of a pass for his INTs too....)

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well hopefully Romo can prove alot this year, cause we do have some balance with Murray on the field. Now Brady, Brees, and Rodgers have done it without much of a running game, but I just think Romo needs more help cause sometimes he is on the money and sometimes he is everywhere.

We can fault everyone we want, but Romo has to show the results consistently, and at this point he hasn't shown it long term for more than a few games every November.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
gimmesix;4276131 said:
Brees is completing over 70 percent of his passes this year. He completed 68 percent last year and over 70 percent the year before.

He also had 33 or more TD passes the previous three years and is on his way past that mark again this year.

Romo's numbers aren't equal to that because he isn't quite as consistent. That doesn't mean there's much separating them, but Romo is "off" more than Brees is.

Tony Romo 64.1% career completion percentage.
Drew Brees 65.7% career completion percentage, 62.2% in San Diego.

Drew Brees 4.9% touchdown percentage, 4.4% in San Diego
Tony Romo 5.7% touchdown percentage...

Your argument doesn't hold water.

The Panch

Reaction score
gimmesix;4276131 said:
Brees is completing over 70 percent of his passes this year. He completed 68 percent last year and over 70 percent the year before.

He also had 33 or more TD passes the previous three years and is on his way past that mark again this year.

Romo's numbers aren't equal to that because he isn't quite as consistent. That doesn't mean there's much separating them, but Romo is "off" more than Brees is.
I agree Brees is better, but there's alot more that goes into those 33+ TDs. Brees throws the ball alot more than Romo does.

5.7% of Romo's passes are TDs. Since he's came to N.O., Brees has only 5.2% TDs per attempt. (Including tonight)

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276130 said:
Not even a comparison. Romo was great that day. Brees was something else entirely tonight. What Brees did tonight makes me wonder what makes a select few human beings capable of athletic feats such as that.
Total Cowboy homer will never get that.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276142 said:

The tale is in the tape, not the numbers. Both put up great numbers. The question is who has a higher ceiling in terms of ability, and the film says it's Brees. Tony Romo, at his best, beats you. Drew Brees dissects you as if he knows what plays your defense is running.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276123 said:
I have never seen Tony Romo do what Drew Brees did tonight. I'm not talking numbers, I'm just talking about how he played the game. The Giants never had a chance, the ball was on a rope all night and it just came out so quickly. He made right read after right read and did so with impossibly precise quickness and precision.

If Romo ever plays a game like Brees did tonight, I'll have a completely different opinon of him knowing he is capable of that. It's just magical to watch.

I think you watch Romo with a much more critical eye and let the "bad" Romo taint your perception of the "good" Romo.

If you had seen the "bad" Brees (Tampa Bay this season), then you'd probably have a better understanding that they are similar. But maybe not, you could be stubborn that way. ;)

Every good QB has games where they are really on, and Brees was really on tonight. But I can't see much of a difference between him at his best and Romo at his best. ... I just hope we see more of Romo at his best.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Panch;4276134 said:
The other time they played...

Cmp Att Yds TDs Int
26/38 384 5-0....Brees

16/33 249 1-2....Romo

I love Tony, but Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning he is not.

Exactly.

Tony is great is his own regard, but those four guys are just better quarterbacks. This is not a slight on Tony Romo (who I wouldn't trade for any of those guys). He's my quarterback and I'm behind him 100%.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276129 said:
Or the Thanksgiving game where he had like 5 touchdowns...

Dude get off it.

WOW, you have to go back 5 years to the thanksgiving game against a bad bucs team to make a point to compare Romo to Brees....

I'll take Brees over Romo anyday, its not even close...in fact, I wanted the cowboys to draft him and then trade for him at the time when he was coming off his shoulder injury and Miami backed out of the trade......they're kicking their *** for not trading for him..

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276151 said:
The tale is in the tape, not the numbers. Both put up great numbers. The question is who has a higher ceiling in terms of ability, and the film says it's Brees. Tony Romo, at his best, beats you. Drew Brees dissects you as if he knows what plays your defense is running.

It has nothing to do with the tape. It's confirmation bias.

If you watched both players without bias, you would see that their play is very similar.

Brees has had more weapons with him in New Orleans, but his success hasn't been much better than Romo's. He had a great team with him in 2009, but Romo actually beat him that year. We just couldn't beat the Vikings.

Tony Romo gets a lot less help than the QBs you've mentioned. You don't want to face that. Romo gets little help and has a lot less experience than Brady or Brees. Rodgers got A LOT more help than Romo ever did.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Quest for Six;4276157 said:
WOW, you have to go back 5 years to the thanksgiving game against a bad bucs team to make a point to compare Romo to Brees....

I'll take Brees over Romo anyday, its not even close...in fact, I wanted the cowboys to draft him and then trade for him at the time when he was coming off his shoulder injury and Miami backed out of the trade......they're kicking their *** for not trading for him..

No...they're not.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4276123 said:
I have never seen Tony Romo do what Drew Brees did tonight. I'm not talking numbers, I'm just talking about how he played the game. The Giants never had a chance, the ball was on a rope all night and it just came out so quickly. He made right read after right read and did so with impossibly precise quickness and precision.

If Romo ever plays a game like Brees did tonight, I'll have a completely different opinon of him knowing he is capable of that. It's just magical to watch.

If Mrs. Drew Brees finds out what you're doing to her husband here, there will be a divorce.

Wipe you chin already.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276142 said:

I don't think career numbers give a good picture of who is more consistent today. Both quarterbacks have improved from where they started. Compare their numbers and games the past three seasons or so, and Brees is more consistent.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The collapse of Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Atlanta has also help bolster his numbers.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
gimmesix;4276174 said:
I don't think career numbers give a good picture of who is more consistent today. Both quarterbacks have improved from where they started. Compare their numbers and games the past three seasons or so, and Brees is more consistent.

Even this year their numbers are very similar, even with Romo having broken his ribs early on in the year.

Brees has veteran WRs, Romo is really working with a lot less, yet has been just as productive.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4276171 said:
If Mrs. Drew Brees finds out what you're doing to her husband here, there will be a divorce.

Wipe you chin already.

If being amazed by amazing athletic feats makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should take up checkers.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276160 said:
If you watched both players without bias, you would see that their play is very similar.

There isnt a GM in football who would pick Romo over Brees if given the choice. That includes Jerry Jones. And it's because of the difference in their levels of potential greatness.

Brees has had more weapons with him in New Orleans, but his success hasn't been much better than Romo's. He had a great team with him in 2009, but Romo actually beat him that year. We just couldn't beat the Vikings.

Does he? I'd take Miles or Dez over any of their receivers, Witten over Graham and Murray over any of their backs. He has a better line and perhaps better depth at receiver and running back, but Romo has more top end weapons.

Tony Romo gets a lot less help than the QBs you've mentioned. You don't want to face that. Romo gets little help and has a lot less experience than Brady or Brees. Rodgers got A LOT more help than Romo ever did.

Romo has the best tight end in football, two great receivers and what looks like a future star at running back. Not many QBs can claim to have all that. Rodgers has mediocre backs, Brees has a bunch of good receivers and backs but nobody who you would call great right now, Brady has great TEs but mediocre backs and good but undesized receivers. Honestly, Phillip Rivers has maybe the best set of weapons in football (which makes his fall from grace even more amazing).

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4276206 said:
They aren't kicking themselves.

oh really, it's worked out so well for Miami in recent years with the numerous failed Qb's they've went through....no they wouldn't want the Brees decision do-over again, right!!!!!!!!!!