Mo Clay to Baltimore?*** signs with Jets***merged

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
That's great, but let me ask you something. What does Mo bring to a football team that's going to be hard to replace. Does he offer, intelligence, a desire to fight thought injuries, mental toughness, ability to make a game challenging play when your team needs it. For player who was drafted no 6 overall, he's a Ryan leaf like bust.
Intelligence....:lmao2::lmao:

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah, I think he showed improvement.

But still he's not anywhere near a top corner at this point.

And it seems clear the Cowboys aren't or weren't happy with the ability of the defense to play zone so a number of the culprits were allowed to leave.

Bottom line... I don't have an issue with the Cowboys letting him walk for $5 mil.

I agree in the Cowboys wanting to be able to play zone. Otherwise I think you pay the one year prove it deal AGAIN. This is probably a case of Mo and his injuries combined with his inability to play zone being enough for Dallas to part ways.

I dont believe Marinelli was ever a fit with Mo or Carr. We invested a ton of money and resources on those two CBS and then brought in Kiffin and Marinelli who prefer run more zone defenses which neither player excelled at. There was alot of criticism about the hiring and it not making sense.

The Carroll signing makes more sense when considering the zone defense (or so Ive read Carroll is better at zone.) One concern though is Ive also read Brown is better at man. I wonder if that is more because its easier for a rookie to learn? Either way my assumption is we are transitioning to playing more zone in hopes of creating more turnovers. It makes sense to me in part because we were good in the red zone last year and are willing to take some more shots on the ball with confidence we can hold to a field goal if we whiff. I realize this is all my own theory so please enlighten me where Im wrong.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
playing zone, man off or press with Lester Hayes and deion sanders means nothing if we trot out the same dross on the DL.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree in the Cowboys wanting to be able to play zone. Otherwise I think you pay the one year prove it deal AGAIN. This is probably a case of Mo and his injuries combined with his inability to play zone being enough for Dallas to part ways.

I dont believe Marinelli was ever a fit with Mo or Carr. We invested a ton of money and resources on those two CBS and then brought in Kiffin and Marinelli who prefer run more zone defenses which neither player excelled at. There was alot of criticism about the hiring and it not making sense.

The Carroll signing makes more sense when considering the zone defense (or so Ive read Carroll is better at zone.) One concern though is Ive also read Brown is better at man. I wonder if that is more because its easier for a rookie to learn? Either way my assumption is we are transitioning to playing more zone in hopes of creating more turnovers. It makes sense to me in part because we were good in the red zone last year and are willing to take some more shots on the ball with confidence we can hold to a field goal if we whiff. I realize this is all my own theory so please enlighten me where Im wrong.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Carr and Mo were dropped because they aren't good zone corners (plus Mo's fragility) and Carrol was signed because he is a better zone corner.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good post!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Maybe we should trade up to get the best corner available in the draft ............. wait, we tried that.

khiladi

Reaction score
A lot of our horrible zone coverage play was because Church and Wilcox were out of position, meaning our safeties, though they seemed to improve last year.

In fact, I blame a lot of the Calvin Johnson perceived abuse of Carr a couple years back to the safeties. I saw multiple times Carr leaving him off for the zone and nobody was around to take CJ.

khiladi

Reaction score
Carr and Claiborne were brought here because we trotted out guys like Anthony Henry and Jacques Reeves. We focused on CB not specifically because of Rob Ryan, but because our CB play was busted for years. These CBs and our DBs were getting abused in crucial situations despite Ware putting up 20 plus sacks.

To say it was wholly in part because of Rob Ryan isn't true, though I'm sure it played a big part. Claiborne was also highly touted in the draft and most argued that Jerry got a steal.

Secondary play has always been an issue here with guys like Campo coaching it.

khiladi

Reaction score
So he lied, now we have to draft 2 corners, a safety and the pass rush again will be ignored

Not sure if he lied, or we just don't plan very well particularly on defense. 3-4 to 4-3, from Kiffen to Marinelli, to the locker room confusion when Jerry pulled on Frederick while Floyd was slated as BPA, but Marinelli didn't want the latter..

It would have looked a lot worse for years if Romo wasn't QB.

When Rob Ryan was fired, Garrett used the excuse for lack of TOs not providing his offense more chances to score.. we still in the same spot defensively..