Mo Clay to Baltimore?*** signs with Jets***merged

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We would only be on the hook for his base salary. So 11.4MM this year and 11MM next year. Of course he'd probably want a new contract....
And he would get called for holding every play in DAL

We are going with low cost zone corners so Shermann doesn't fit at all

I figured DAL would offer Mo 3m base with 3m in incentives....I guess he liked the whole 5m better

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't agree with their lowballing/losing Claiborne. Don't really care for a CB trio of Brown, Scandrick and Carroll heading into the draft*. Rather of had Claiborne as an insurance policy incase a rookie isn't ready for a lot of playing time. I cringe about thinking of Carroll getting PT in the nickel.

* As it stands currently.
Nickel? Carroll is starting. Just wait for the flags, he got seven PIs thrown on him last year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not interested in trading premium draft picks for expensive veterans.

If you were willing to do that then go out and sign Gilmore. Don't trade your first for a CB making the same money.

And that right there is why the Patriots are the Patriots. If you identify a quality player Andrew decide to pay big money, you don't give up draft resources on top of it.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's time for Thurman's Thieves Part II.

In 1982 two undrafted free agent DB's, Everson Walls and Michael Downs. combined for 18 INT's to help lead the team to a then NFL record 37 INT. That effort still ranks as #3 in NFL history.

Scandrick's Scavengers?

John813

Reaction score
Nickel? Carroll is starting. Just wait for the flags, he got seven PIs thrown on him last year.

Ugh. I admit I only seen him twice a year, when we played the Eagles, since he left the Dolphins. However, I just about watched every Dolphin game he played. Nothing struck me as a starting outside corner material. He got picked on lot with the Dolphins and his tackling was inconsistent.

Carson

Reaction score
I heard they want a first. I would be all over it. He is a true ball hawk, a feisty beast, and a leader. His coverage, at times, ebbs and flows, but he's unquestionably a top-10 CB

Big difference between playing with Chancellor and Thomas to coming to play for Jones and Heath

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
And that right there is why the Patriots are the Patriots. If you identify a quality player Andrew decide to pay big money, you don't give up draft resources on top of it.
Errmmmm that's exactly what they did with Cook.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Errmmmm that's exactly what they did with Cook.

Is it? I'd double check Cooks' contract details. They've not only got a year on the cheap, they've got an option year after that, and a possible compensatory pick after that.

Not "exactly" the same thing, is it?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Is it? I'd double check Cooks' contract details. They've not only got a year on the cheap, they've got an option year after that, and a possible compensatory pick after that.

Not "exactly" the same thing, is it?
So you think they are trading a 1st for 2 years of Cook and a potential 3rd rounder in 2020? And his two year contract with 5th year option would be about 9MM all guaranteed. in reality he's going to want an extension next year or you're going to have to lose him a year later or franchise him for $14.5MM.

Don't fool yourself this was an expensive proposition from a draft resource perspective and from a salary perspective.

Nevermind it's the exact opposite of what I want. If you want a big time player go out and pay one...don't trade for one who you also have to pay.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I heard they want a first. I would be all over it. He is a true ball hawk, a feisty beast, and a leader. His coverage, at times, ebbs and flows, but he's unquestionably a top-10 CB
Well if he's a feisty beast then you obviously gotta go for it.

Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Ever consider that perhaps Mo just decided he was done being a Cowboy?

We'll never know because the Cowboys wouldn't pay him what the Jets were going to pay him.

It's very possibly he would have come back if the Cowboys had matched the deal. But all indications are we low balled him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll never know because the Cowboys wouldn't pay him what the Jets were going to pay him.

It's very possibly he would have come back if the Cowboys had matched the deal. But all indications are we low balled him.
Agree the Cowboys were never going to pay Mo what he got from the Jets. They really didn't low ball Mo. Jets just overpaid big time.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agree the Cowboys were never going to pay Mo what he got from the Jets. They really didn't low ball Mo. Jets just overpaid big time.

Not really. They didn't overpay "big time". If Claiborne isn't worth $5MM a year, then Carroll certainly isn't worth the $3.3MM AAV we are paying him.

That really was an ideal contract for the Cowboys to take with Claiborne. One year deal, they can take the $5MM on their cap given the space they will have and it doesn't preclude them from still investing draft picks in the CB position. The upside is huge with Claiborne and the downside is minimal.............

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only to those who had misguided expectations.

The blueprint wasn't a secret. You just refused to believe it.

Prime example. The was no way the Cowboys were ever going to pay Mo $5M for one year.

No they weren't.

Not for a guy who's never played a full slate of games in a season.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Said back when the Jets cut him and I'll say it again this week. Bring in Revis on a 2 year deal and draft another cornerback next month.

Revis facing the likes of Wentz, Cousins, and Manning? I'll take that all day everyday

Yeah, and like last time, that idea will be ignored. Rightfully so.